Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

#8 plate feel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#8 plate feel?

What does the #8 tst plate feel like w/ no other mods?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It feels like a piece of metal with a couple of slots and a few ridges.

Seriously, they have a good bit of low end power. I had my truck for 2 weeks before I put one in. Two weeks later I put in a 3K GSK. A year later I swapped the 8 for a 10.

I'd skip the 8 and go right to a 10. Not as much low end but they're easier on your tranny. Power comes on at a higher RPM which lets you build up some trans pressure.

Put a pyro in before you put any plate in. I'd get 1300*+ easily with the 8 slid forward about 1/2 way.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 AM

different stories

man am I getting different stories from this forum and TST. TsT reccommends going w/ the #8 because they say it is easier on the tranny. They did say if I went w/ a #10 to get the 3k GSK but not to add it to the #8. But did adamatly reccommend the #8 and not the #10

Everyone here reccommends going w/ the #10 and the 3k GSK. I suspect that most people on this forum are a little more 'wow' factor than I am (at this point) Everyone is also telling me I need to get work done on my old tranny which I do agree with. Money is a little bit of a factor though, especially 4000$ worth of transmission. I don't know if I'm ready to take that step yet.

I am willing to do a rebuild at a local shop for about 1600, maybee bump up a few components but I really have to stay under 2k. I would also like to take my chances on the tranny till it starts slipping. Hopefully nothing catastrophic happens. (if it does, then maybee I could justify a goerend) With that said what is going to be easier on the truck? The #10 or the #8?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 AM
DTR question asker

You could probably get your transmission done for around 2k if you are handy. Mine cost $2,400 for a fresh rebuild and a Goerend VB and single disk TC.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:29 AM

I got an 8 and a 3k GSK, from TST. No problems, truck runs fine with a stock transmission. As long as you don't hot rod your truck, and do jack rabbit starts at every intersection, your transmission should hold up. I would definitely get the 3k GSK, regardless of what plate you go with, the GSK increases the useful powerband on your engine. As Berner said, the 10 will be esier on the tranny, because it makes less power. If it was me I'd go with the 8, I like the extra low end power.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Transgo trans kit?

Geeeessssshh, you guys aren't making this easy. Maybee I'll buy the 8 and grind my stocker to a 10 and try them both. I'll get the 3k gsk, what about putting a transgo shift kit on?

2400 is doable for a tranny with those components. Did you do it yourself or get it done?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DL1221
I got an 8 and a 3k GSK, from TST. No problems, truck runs fine with a stock transmission. As long as you don't hot rod your truck, and do jack rabbit starts at every intersection, your transmission should hold up. I would definitely get the 3k GSK, regardless of what plate you go with, the GSK increases the useful powerband on your engine. As Berner said, the 10 will be esier on the tranny, because it makes less power. If it was me I'd go with the 8, I like the extra low end power.
I had the 3K GSK with my 8 plate too. I don't know why TST doesn't recommend it. Mine ran fine.

The 10 plate does have less low end grunt than an 8 but power comes on like gangbusters at about 1800 RPM. If you want a little more low end oomph with a 10, you can adjust the gov lever up a bit.

Depending where you buy your plate, you may be able to exchange it for a small fee. Piers did this when I swapped mine out.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 AM

Plate for Towing?

What would you get for towing?

8 or 10
Old 05-17-2007, 11:04 AM
DTR question asker

#10.

10charminimun
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by siebertl
Geeeessssshh, you guys aren't making this easy. Maybee I'll buy the 8 and grind my stocker to a 10 and try them both. I'll get the 3k gsk, what about putting a transgo shift kit on?

2400 is doable for a tranny with those components. Did you do it yourself or get it done?
That's a good idea, buy the 8, drive on it for a while, even tow with it a bit, see how the power feels to you, and what your EGTs look like. Then you can always grind yourself the 10 from your stocker. With my 8, in the stock location, I got good power, the hottest my EGTs got was about 1100, and if I kept in around 65 on the highway I got up to 23mpg, of coarse my truck is a 2wd with stock tires.

If you just want to try the 10 and forget the 8, you don't need to buy the kit, just get the boost elbow by itself (or just block the wastegate). You may want to make a small mark on the AFC so that you keep track of the stock plate position. If you do move your plate, which ever one you decide, don't forget to check the governor arm, I think the general rule is that if you keep your new plate in the stock position, the arm will not need adjustment. But if you move your plate forward, then the arm will probably need to be adjusted up a bit.

I'm currently experimenting with a 100 plate, it took me about 15 minutes to grind with a 4" grinder and a rotary tool. The 100 smokes more, and makes hotter EGTs, but it doesn't seem to be that much more power than the 8 plate. Maybe I'll try moving it forward a bit. . .

And yes, I've heard the TrangGo shift kit will help.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i drove my truck stock for 10,000 miles
then i added gauges, #10 plate about 1/4 inch away from full forward, and a 3k gsk, and i cannot get enough of it. its a night and day difference.

I can slip the TC though in the higher rpms after its locked up.
so time for an upgrade.