Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

5" exhaust anyone????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5" exhaust anyone????

anybody here running a 5&quot; system??? I've been looking at some 4&quot; systems, but a couple of 5&quot; kits have also caught my eye. any pros/cons on the 5&quot; setups????? thanks for any info., sincerely, Dusty <br><br> also what would the difference in the sound of a straight piped 4&quot; kit behind the wheel vs. 5&quot; kit also straight piped &amp; behind the wheel???? thanks again
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Banned

Re:5" exhaust anyone????

I like my 5&quot; system. One 90* and straight through the hood. Don't get much simpler than that.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:03 PM

i know two people with 5&quot; systems and from what i can tell, the 5&quot; straight piped is much louder than the 4&quot; straight piped! ;D
Old 10-14-2002, 02:50 PM

I am running a a Bully Dog 5&quot; system on my truck and love it! As for loudness I had a 4&quot; Jardine prior to the 5&quot; and noise level inside the cab seems about the same. The biggest benefit I have seen is turbo cooldown time prior to engine shutdown is much reduced.<br><br>Doug
Old 10-14-2002, 05:40 PM

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=5871;start=0#52759 date=1034625008]<br>I am running a a Bully Dog 5&quot; system on my truck and love it! As for loudness I had a 4&quot; Jardine prior to the 5&quot; and noise level inside the cab seems about the same. The biggest benefit I have seen is turbo cooldown time prior to engine shutdown is much reduced.<br><br>Doug<br>[/quote]<br><br>&quot;in the cab&quot;....get outside and listen to it ;D . &quot;is that that a freight train?!&quot; &quot;no, that's just Doug&quot;
Old 10-15-2002, 10:59 AM
Banned

Why in the world would you need a 5&quot; system? 4&quot; is plenty. Although, being able to say I run a 5&quot; straight pipe exhaust system on my daily driver is pretty cool. ;D
Old 10-15-2002, 04:58 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about not posting on this thread because when I posted this info on the Ford site it got all kinds of negative comments from guys who refused to believe me. Of course they dont get it when it comes to high HP (over 500 or so) anyway. Hopefully the power will come for them in the newer 6.0 litre engine.<br><br>Anyway, if you are going for max power, real max power you need the 5&quot; system from at least 18-20 inches from the exducer outlet. Maybe further, but 20 inches is avergae. Back pressure measurement could help you tune it the best. As the gases exit the exducer they are spinning very fast. Depending on rotor speed the gas may be spinning clockwise or counterclockwise and may be going faster or slower than the turbine wheel. Helical flow is not as fast as turbulent flow because the distance the gas travels is much longer if it is spinning. The faster you can convert the spinning gases to turbulent flow, the better. This improves flow velocity.<br><br>The bad thing is, once you get the gases far enough down the pipe they begin to cool and the velocity slows. This can create an excessively slow gas flow that could create a problem. Here goes: my advice is to run the 5&quot; and then slowly reduce the diameter to keep the velocity up.<br>If you are wanting to squeeze out every last bit of power, this could help you gain a few ponnies. <br><br>take it or leave it, you know what they say about free advice <br><br>Don~<br><br>