Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PYRO GAUGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PYRO GAUGE

Will be installing my pyro, boost, and fuel pressure guage this week. Should the pyro be before or after the turbo, or does it make a difference?
Old 10-14-2002, 05:35 PM

Re:PYRO GAUGE

Yes it makes up to 300 deg difference. I have mine after the turbo ( post ) but I'm going to change it to ( pre turbo ) before turbo, This will give a more accurate reading with out having to try to figure how much temp to add to the post reading.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:46 PM

Bkay,<br><br>I'm gonna go along with what Chuck said.. mines measuring post right now, but I'm gonna move mine to pre-turbo as soon as I get a chance.. probably when I help you install YOURS <br><br>
Old 10-15-2002, 08:19 AM

Pyrometer Installation Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel<br>Manifold Installation <br>See Universal for Installation on Turbo Down Pipe<br><br>1. Remove turbo from exhaust manifold.<br><br>2. Stuff a small shop towel or rag 4 to 5 inches into the rear exhaust manifold passage (see pic below) through the turbocharger mounting flange. This is to prevent chips from entering the manifold while drilling and tapping.<br><br>3. Drill through the exhaust manifold into the rear manifold passage. Use a 7/16&quot; drill bit and keep the drill perpendicular to the manifold surface.<br><br>4. Tap the drilled hole with a 1/4&quot; NPT pipe tap. Check the thread depth as you tap by periodically removing the tap and screwing the probe fitting into the tapped hole. The probe should thread 3 to 3 1/2 turns hand tight. Do not install the probe in place at this time.<br><br>5. MAKE SURE THE RAG IS REMOVED FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD. Also remove as many loose chips as possible left in the exhaust manifold. A shop vacuum or small brush may help.<br><br>6. Install the probe in the manifold. (Anti-seize on the threads is recommended)<br><br>7. Continue to hook up the pyrometer per instructions in the universal install.<br><br><br><br> <br>
Old 10-15-2002, 05:55 PM

bkay, not many people remove it. Use grease on drill bit, have a vaccume handy, drill slow and remove fillings often, and use a magnet to collect any that might have fallen into manifold.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:32 PM

What Chuck said. That's the way mine was done, by some friends who have done many of these pre turbo installations. Lottsa grease on the drill bit, good vacuum next to the bit while drilling slowly, then a thin magnet to reach into the hole to pick up any strays. Mine's been done now for about a month and nary a problem. Take your time, piece of cake.<br><br>~Dave