Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

396 different choices for power...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
396 different choices for power...

Interested?

I was brainstorming with a friend the other night and I inadvertently stumbled across what I think may be a tremendously versatile and powerful combo for the 24V VP44 trucks.

Simply put, if you combine a Smarty, TST, injectors, Nitrous, and Water/meth you could have a tremendous amount of versatility.

Key to this BOMBination is the use of a Hobbs-switched wastegate. This uses a hobbs switch to electrically control a solenoid valve plumbed into the wg actuator line. So you basically block and unblock the WG automatically with a pressure switch.

But even better, you can cause the switch to do more than just activate the WG. Say you want to use nitrous but don't want to explode the turbo. All you do is plumb the nitrous to the WG pressure switch so that the nitrous will NOT come on unless the WG line is unblocked, and therefore the WG would be open. This allows you to 1) keep the WG from cracking until you want it OPEN, 2) keep the turbo in its efficiency range by dialing in the peak boost you want, and 3) "hand off" the turbo to the nitrous system with the turbo still in it's range.

Now, the above combo is optimized for running empty and not setup for towing, because nitrous isn't well suited for towing. So what if you don't want all-out HP, but rather you want to sustain elevated power levels for longer periods of time?

Enter the water meth system--possibly plumbed into the Hobbs switch, but not necessarily. Since the turbo makes relatively cool useful boost below 30psi or so, there's no need to have the water on. Save the water for the long pulls.

The beauty of this setup is that you can have it all:

Towing: TST off, more conservative Smarty download, and some water/meth

OR

All-out performance: Full Smarty, TST, Nitrous

You could even run a huge injector like a Mach 6 and just use Smarty at half-power and STILL tow comfortably. You also have the water/meth for extra help.

Conversely, you could run a smaller injector and turn ON the TST for more towing power.

Then, of course, you have "War Emergency Power"-- everything on kill, including nitrous AND water/meth..

Best of all, you still get to keep your stock turbo (albeit that a larger 14 housing is probably wise).

I'm thinking you could wire this up on a rotary switch that controls both the nitrous and wm: both off, nitrous only, meth only, both on.

The above combination gives you ELEVEN softwares (smarty has 10, plus the stock sw), TIMES 2 TST options (off or on), TIMES two nitrous options (off/on), TIMES two Water/meth options (off/on). That's 88 different combos.

Want more flexibility, add the TST adjustable remote. This turns your 88 options into 396 choices!!

This is 396 choices WITHIN the range of your injectors, which is greatly enhanced by the combo of Smarty and TST. Have big sticks (m6)? Run the Smarty at half-power. Need a tiny bit more power, but not as much as even a mild Catcher? Then turn on the TST to a low level. If you need more than you get with Half-Power and TST on kill, you can download a bigger Catcher and turn off the TST.

So, you can tame a HUGE injector, dial in the EXACT power level you want IOT maximize the stock turbo.

Conversely, you can push a small injector to its very limits with full Catcher and TST on kill.

So I think I may try to head this direction, with Smarty, TST, M4s, and some drugs. I like the idea of LOTS of flexibility. But I won't need the TST remote; on or off works just fine for me.

Any thoughts???

H
Old 03-28-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There goes my master's thesis ideas. Since you've already published it, I don't need to do it now

~Rob
Old 03-28-2006, 08:25 AM

I just *had* to share my "brainwave" as the Aussies call it....
Old 03-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
...Smarty, TST, M4s, and some drugs. I like the idea of LOTS of flexibility.
H
This combo works for me!
But I can't see it with the HX-35/14??
JMO.

RJ
Old 03-28-2006, 08:30 AM

You'd have to match injectors to turbo. With some 1.6s, the stock turbo is PERFECT for this setup.

With M4s, the stocker is badly outclassed. I'd guess a 62mm-class turbo is the minimum you'd want in that case.

I'd bet you *could* run M6s with the stock turbo with Smarty on Half-power, but you'd probably still need the drugs, and it's clearly not an optimal setup, and towing with it is not realistic.

But it's doable

Add a Helix 2 cam and things get VEWY INTEWESTING
Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The above combination gives you ELEVEN softwares (smarty has 10, plus the stock sw), TIMES 2 TST options (off or on), TIMES two nitrous options (off/on), TIMES two Water/meth options (off/on). That's 88 different combos.

Want more flexibility, add the TST adjustable remote. This turns your 88 options into 396 choices!!

Any thoughts???
Ummmm......yep. I reckon I'd spend 3 hours sitting on the side of the road at the bottom of the hill a'figgerin' out which of the 396 choices to use to git to the top of the hill with the 5th wheel in tow.

Rusty
Old 03-28-2006, 08:55 AM

That's where you just do like me and turn off the TST and be your own "smarty" via right foot control.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 AM

You'd have to match injectors to turbo. With some 1.6s, the stock turbo is PERFECT for this setup.

With M4s, the stocker is badly outclassed. I'd guess a 62mm-class turbo is the minimum you'd want in that case.

I'd bet you *could* run M6s with the stock turbo with Smarty on Half-power, but you'd probably still need the drugs, and it's clearly not an optimal setup, and towing with it is not realistic.

But it's doable

Add a Helix 2 cam and things get VEWY INTEWESTING
SPS62 with a Helix 2, a little headwork, and all that other crap you 24v guys get to play with should make for an AWESOME setup

I think I'll finally be envious of a puny-pumped, computer-illiterate 24v engine...that is until the first time that VP loses it head

Sounds like a plan HOHN,
Chris
Old 03-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think HOHN's brain never switches off diesel performance 24-7............ Comes up with some pretty interesting ideas though!!! More than I could ever think up that's for sure!

That'd be a pretty interesting combo, a little to many choices for me but having the adjustibility of all that stuff would be nice to have.

Now HOHN, what kinda shot of drugs were you thinking of using.......I'm assuming a pretty small dose. What if you add propane into the mix with the drugs and the water/meth setup. That'd give you even more choices

~Nick
Old 03-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

While that sounds great, I'm going a slightly different route. I'm gonna throw twins in with external wastegates that I can control in the cab so I can control the boost, drugs, and power levels from the comfort of my drivers seat. With the push of a button and the twist of a **** I'll have over 600hp at my disposal. Ahh. The ultimate tuning rig. OOOOOOOHHHH. How about stacking an Edge Comp untapped with a TST so that way you've now got an adjustable EZ along with the adjustablity of the TST. That adds what, 396 x 5=1980 combos!!!! Ahh, the joys of brainstorming.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:36 AM

I'd still chuck the COMP, and keep the Smarty. At some point, the COMP will CRAP, and you'd be trying to get it fixed so you can play with a ricer!

Not to mention the Smarty should "act" nicer than the Comp as far as power adders go

But what do I know? My setup has 2 settings, Go and Blow
Chris
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 AM

I guess I've got three settings, go, go fast, and go fast with cool EGT's. Who needs 300 and some settings, I'd get confussed with about ten.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01

Now HOHN, what kinda shot of drugs were you thinking of using.......I'm assuming a pretty small dose. What if you add propane into the mix with the drugs and the water/meth setup. That'd give you even more choices

~Nick
Diesel 24/7? No, I have too many other hobbies. But diesel is a biggie.

Anyhow, the drugs on this would be pretty mild with the nitrous, and pretty heavy on the water.

Mild nitrous would be just enough to add the equivalent to an extra 10psi or so of clean boost. The stock turbo can't add much more air past 30psi, and nitrous does this job a LOT more effectively, adding both oxygen and COOLING to the intake. The equivalent of a 75 "shot" or so would do the job, I think-- but I'd need to experiment.

The water/meth would be HEAVY on the drugs, though. I say this because 1) It's a lot easier to replentish than nitrous, 2) It's VERY safe, and 3) more is better right up to where you nearly quench combustion.

So I'm thinking the execution of this setup would be best with a mild simple shot of Nitrous-- it's either off or on, with no adjustment to the flow. AFter all, this is for max performance, so we know what level to calibrate it to. If EGTs are out of control, add more-- it's that simple.

The water/meth would probably be better with some kind of progressive controller. But limiting the water flow to the upper boost ranges would greatly extend the useful range of the quantity on hand. Do you really need water/meth at 15 or 20psi? Probably not. But once you're up near 30 and the turbo is making more heat, it's going to give proportionally more benefit. So maybe you want to bring the water in mildly at 25psi, and ramp it up to max dump at 30psi or so.

As for having 396 options..... Hey, most of you are able to get the feel of your vehicles and know what range of choices works best for you. The point is not that you have to try 396 combos to find what works best for you. The point is that you CAN have up to 396 options IF YOU WISH. Maybe you think Smarty's too aggressive on #9 and find that #5 is better overall to your liking.
So on and so forth.

Personally, I only use 4 of Smarty's settings, and my TST would be on or off, with no remote. And I'd only use TST with the Smarty on one of two options. So for me, I'd realistically only use 5 or 6 choices. Surely others could similarly narrow down their choices?

If having this level of choice is intimidating to you, stay away from Baskin Robbins and all Chinese buffet restaurants-- you may get "paralysis from analysis."
Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM

I could handle 10, but the people who occasionally drive my trcuk can barely understand 1

My brother can't believe that he can tow the same loads with my truck, a gear higher, faster, and not have to stop for fuel every 150 miles He still won't get rid of that 454 though

Chris
Old 03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

Now is Nitrous as harmful on a diesel as it is on a gasser?? I've never really played with nitrous let alone payed much attention to it.......but just curious what the affects on a diesel are?

And where would you plumb in the nitrous at? I'm assuming the intake horn would be the best place. And is that where you plumb in the water/meth too? Just curious.......I've never injected anything with anything other than lots of FUEL

~Nick

Quick Reply: 396 different choices for power...