Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2WD shift kit - ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD shift kit - ideas

my truck, 96 2WD auto with 230K miles. i have all the first round of cheap, free upgrades. 4" exhaust, GSK, BD valve body, BD flex plate, elbow boost, fuel plate ground to zero.

so now i want to improve shifting, firmer shifts.

i don't tow anything of any regularity. strictly a grocery runner.

i read about the transgo by suncoast. sounds like a nice piece.

i recently spoke to a trans shop owner, he basically said, go with a programmer and call it a day. he pushed me away from a physical kit and said just reflash through your DLC (?)

now i'm confused.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by jj3500
my truck, 96 2WD auto with 230K miles. i have all the first round of cheap, free upgrades. 4" exhaust, GSK, BD valve body, BD flex plate, elbow boost, fuel plate ground to zero.

so now i want to improve shifting, firmer shifts.

i don't tow anything of any regularity. strictly a grocery runner.

i read about the transgo by suncoast. sounds like a nice piece.

i recently spoke to a trans shop owner, he basically said, go with a programmer and call it a day. he pushed me away from a physical kit and said just reflash through your DLC (?)

now i'm confused.
Sounds like your trans shop is confused.

No programmer for a 96, and if you already have a valve body, no way would I risk messing it up with a shift kit, those are built for stock valve bodies, not modified ones.

Sounds like you need to call BD with all your transmission pressure readings and see what they say about firming up the shifts.

I would also ask about a better converter, assuming yours is stock, it might contribute to some of the soft feeling.

BTW, the way a Torqueflite works, you don't want neck snapping shifts, just ones that are instantaneous....... Otherwise you can have it in 2 gears at once.