Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2nd Gen Smarty Updates????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselcamper
I'm going to get a fueling box to stack with my Smarty, to get
some of the mid-high power back. TST PM3 or Blue Chip APB ?

From what I can tell, either will work well.

The Quad Xzillaraider should stack, also-- check quad's site.

jh
Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my share of frustration with the Smarty.

I also am one of the old ECM owners. I bought it about a week before the new product came out. I was assured it was a long ways away, Needless to say, I have a spare ECM.

Bought the Smarty based on the promises to upgrade and get custom tunes. There was some tweaking in the beginning, but that was mandatory. And as long as I had mild power output it was fine.

As the power increased, the limitations of the Smarty became immediately apparent. I tried everything except poison Marco's dog in an effort to get some of the help with the issues the auto truck guys were having. Marco did write a custom program for me, but it never went anywhere. I never got a response to my feedback and that was that.

Since I have been fighting this thing for many, many months and I was "being patient" and waiting for "updates coming soon", I felt as the 2nd gen guys have not only been ignored, but lied to as well.

The only thing the Smarty has on the competition is the ability to update the programming to make it work better for different trucks.

In the last several weeks I have changed to a better driving product. I can use my cruise, get the same of better milage, lost the boost surge and I am running much, much cleaner. Don't even get me started on the lockup issues. Lockup with Smarty around 50mph. Lockup with Edge product at 37mph. And at any level.

Not only is the truck more pleasurable to drive day in and day out, the touchy throttle made more smoke than anything else. In other words, I had to baby the throttle to leave the line. Now, I can stick my foot in it, leave harder and have less smoke.

I understand that Bob doesn't make the thing. Nor do any of the other Smarty dealers. However, they have a responsibility as the voice of the consumer to put pressure on the manufacturer to follow through with the sales literature and promises.

If they can't or won't do that with this, how can we trust them to go to bat for us with other products?

Dave
Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Chapter President

Isnt this all taken care of with the new Quad products? He seems to be really trying to make custom tunes with the ZXT+ to get some different files for different setups and its adjustable on the fly. The new race box is promising to be good. I know no one product is going to be the answer for all but is it that hard to right some different programs for the smarty with some different fuel elsewhere in the RPM range?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Chapter President

Dave, I basically had the same experience with the a "special" program that I asked for... I asked that the timing of the number 1 program be stacked on top of #3. Went to the dyno, provided Bob with the results, did show a tiny bit of improvement in the torque. Never heard another word.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 PM

I sold my Smarty, problem solved. I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I bet later on I will regret the decision.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike D
Dave, I basically had the same experience with the a "special" program that I asked for... I asked that the timing of the number 1 program be stacked on top of #3. Went to the dyno, provided Bob with the results, did show a tiny bit of improvement in the torque. Never heard another word.

Mike, Marco did what you asked for knowing that the results would not gain any more hp since Marco had a 99 since 1999 and knew.

But Marco did what you asked for and said Well we tried what we were asked.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Adam3291
I sold my Smarty, problem solved. I enjoyed it while it lasted, but I bet later on I will regret the decision.

Thanks I know you will
Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by haloman
Isnt this all taken care of with the new Quad products? He seems to be really trying to make custom tunes with the ZXT+ to get some different files for different setups and its adjustable on the fly. The new race box is promising to be good. I know no one product is going to be the answer for all but is it that hard to right some different programs for the smarty with some different fuel elsewhere in the RPM range?

Quad can not do what Marco can do with the ecm parameters. If he can lets see the results.

I would like to see first hand
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 PM

You want me to send you a box Bob?? And I mean that in a friendly way.

As long as you promise to be fair I will send one out tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edited: Hopefully mads will do something positive for the 2nd genners. Meanwhile I would like to find out more about the quad box. Is there a website to learn more?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
You want me to send you a box Bob?? And I mean that in a friendly way.

As long as you promise to be fair I will send one out tomorrow.
Thats why I'm going to the man right there! Put up or shut up! yeha
Old 08-27-2007, 11:25 PM

I also want to clarify. This is not a put up or shut up type deal. I have nothing against Bob, I like Marco and Stefano and have met with them once.

There are things a Smarty can do that ours cannot. We cannot adjust tire size for one.

All I am saying to Bob is that if he wants to try a plug in box that has the performance of the Smarty without tapping the wire, I will send him one. Not a ringer either. He can get online and download anything he wants to make sure he is playing with the same stuff you guys are.

The production boxes do not come with the aggressive tune by the way.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 PM

I'd be interested in Bob's feedback.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 PM

Didn't mean to start a war here, just looking for some new updates. I'm sure in the mood to purchase a Quad Race Box though!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to thank Bob for posting here on DTR.

Here's hoping that 2nd gens are on the radar again

The thing isn't without its "quirks" in the sense that it really makes your truck want to run--but mine isn't going anywhere.

I'd love to try some of the other boxes out there just to see their performance firsthand so I could make more intelligent commentary on other products. But I'm never selling my Smarty!

Honestly, I can't see how people complain about the "lack of top end". I think that's just a psychological perception. Like, because the bottom end hit is so hard, it seems "soft" at higher rpm because it can't sustain that kind of hit all the way up to the high rpms.

Smarty will pull my truck comfortably past 3200 rpm-- closer to 3500, in fact.

I've never "dyno'd" my current combo, mostly because it would just show how underturboed I am. I'm sure that I've gained a good bit of power below 2K rpm, but above that I'm pretty much at the choke point of the turbo, and the tq falls off fast past that point.

The rapid fueling of the Smarty with some quick-spooling ball-bearing chargers would make for a very interesting combo!

I'm hoping to find out first hand...

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Smarty Updates????