Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2nd Gen Smarty Updates????

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my high idle!! Cost all of $15 to make and install!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Bnold, Fill me in, is it automatic at any temperature??
Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 PM

If you search on the site you should run across a high idle box thread.. I have built 4 or 5 of em now.. Basically a little black box down in front of my 4x4 shifter, has a switch, an adjusting ****, and an LED to let you know its on... Adjustable from idle to 2000RPM...

Really simple to do
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Will it automatically ramp up at any temperature and with remote starting. I remember that thread but the really smart people lost me with all the electronic talk!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
I remember that thread but the really smart people lost me with all the electronic talk!!!

same here

Randy
Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 PM

If you flick the switch RPMs rise... period.. No temperature readings.

Can be wired with your remote start by adding a relay or two depending on how your axillary on your remote start is wired up
Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 PM

See, that's were it get's touchy!!! I have enough wires and such under the dash. A Smarty program would be so much easier!!! Then wiring it to the remote starter = forget it, lost more now than before!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:46 PM

Okay, I will admit that I would love to see some new programs. I bought my Smarty before I ever came to this site. I bought it because I needed the 1/2 fuel setting to pass emissions. I learned to enjoy the different programs and versions after that. While it is sad to see MADS move forward and leave us behind, I can see why. There is only so much you can do with the VP44. You have so much more potential with the near unlimited amout of fuel delivery the ISBE CR puts forth. Not to mention that these, up until very recently were the current production engines. Why would MADS dink around with stuff that is no longer in production? I'm not too worried about it.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 PM

My complaint is not the performance down low of the smarty because it sure makes the truck wake up and I have it on most always because of that, it's just I get a little jealous when I see all the cool stuff the 3rd gen guys have and since its easier to upgrade the smarty rather than buy a new truck I feel like maybe if we keep after it they will eventually do something new for us.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bamadzl
I also find it funny that certain posters will not even post in threads like this now. When the smarty was first coming out the main guys pimping the smartys would be all over any thread pertaining to it.

Now it's just.....crickets.

I guess they have no defense, so they will not show their face.

I was one of the biggest Smarty cheerleaders.

But now I'd have to bury my head in the sand and do so on pure optimism.

I like my Smarty, but a good portion of the price tag is only justified by the POTENTIAL!

What they REALLY need to do is develop a small application that would let us WRITE OUR OWN programs. Just like the engine mgmt software the gasser guys have.

JMO
Old 08-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I was one of the biggest Smarty cheerleaders.

But now I'd have to bury my head in the sand and do so on pure optimism.

I like my Smarty, but a good portion of the price tag is only justified by the POTENTIAL!

What they REALLY need to do is develop a small application that would let us WRITE OUR OWN programs. Just like the engine mgmt software the gasser guys have.

JMO
I am in the same boat. I was all over it when they were new. I got rid of mine 2 months ago and glad to see it gone! Why spend that much money for something with so little to offer.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN

JMO
Thank you. I mentioned this to quad when he was discussing his updatable box and all I got was ????? On my bike I'm running a dynojet box which actually talks to the dyno in order to set up a tune. Then fuel maps and timing curves can be manually manipulated with a laptop. Diesel performance still has a long ways to go.

But on the otherhand, our ecms use different maps based on conditions so tuning might be tedious.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Going to standalone engine mgmt on a diesel is a lot more involved that a NA gasser.

First, the variable fuel ratio can be tricky. Second, the timing is much more sensitive on a diesel. Finally, you have so many interdependent variables that your tuning can get very complex.

Still, I'm a tweaker and I'd love to at least TRY to tune my truck.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 AM

I'm going to get a fueling box to stack with my Smarty, to get
some of the mid-high power back. TST PM3 or Blue Chip APB ?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:50 PM

I'd like to see a race SW for the 500+ hp trucks. Currently, if you want to make big power you don't want to be running a smarty and the only reason is the lack of a race SW imho.

A valet mode would be nice too. Simular to sw0 for guys with big sticks who want to tow etc

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Smarty Updates????