Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

1st mods to a stock cummins

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st mods to a stock cummins

Good morning to all. First post here so I'll try and be descriptive, please let me know if I'm lacking some info.

I'm going to pick up my new to me 2001 Ram quad cab, lwb, with 5.9l HO Cummins with 6 speed this weekend. I'm going to drive it stock for a little while, and while I don't want to go crazy with it, I'm thinking I'll want to add some mild mods.

Here is what I'm currently thinking. Edge EZ box, amsoil air filter (or other if something better) to start with and down the road, maybe go to a 4" mandrel bent exhaust. I really don't think I want to worry about the clutch load by adding injectors or a bigger box if I can help it. Am I fooling myself that I won't need a South Bend or other clutch with these mods?

I'm going to be pulling probably 5-10,000 lbs from time to time and I hope I can leave the box on while towing if possible.

Ok guys, fire away. If I need more info, please let me know.

Thanks for the help, Matt

PS. the truck has 90,000 miles if that matters and it has the 4.10 rear end gear

PSS. Are there any lift pump concerns I need to address with just these mods
Old 05-11-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Pressure Guage
Old 05-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Bring a fuel pressure gauge with you to check fuel pressure before buying and check for codes. Low fuel pressure, the price might go up by $1200-$1500 really quick if you don't.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 PM

first of like they said get you some gauges most important is the fuel pressure gauge . then for the box get you a edge comp and run it untapped meaning dont tap into the pump wire . this will be just like running the ez until you deside you do need more power wich is going to happen cause once you start its a slippery slope lol .get you a fass set up so you can off the stock lift pump the stockers dont last very long and if it drops below 8psi the thing is bad and can start to harm the vp44 injection pump. a 4inch exhaust would be nice along with a scotty2 air intake
Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 PM

Can you check the codes without a scanner?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:25 PM

I can on my 01. Key on/off three times and then leave it in the on position. I would drive it first, incase someone cleared the codes before you got there.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Chapter President

Welcome to the board Matt. You'll find a lot of good, knowledgeable folks here.

P.S. I still got that trailer for sale.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by 67HotRod
I can on my 01. Key on/off three times and then leave it in the on position. I would drive it first, incase someone cleared the codes before you got there.
Then what? It flashes them across the od screen or what?
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Should see them on the od screen.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:27 PM

I would begin your mods in the following order: 1) gauges (Fuel pressure, EGT and Boost) 2) Fueling box 3) Scotty II air intake. I think these three mods will keep you smiling. Then, when the Bombing bug really hits, you can do injectors, etc. Welcome to the club and have fun with your truck.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:15 PM

Hey guys, Thanks for the welcome. Ok, sounds like the Scotty II air intake is maybe a little like K&N's cold air induction kits? Sound right? I know UNI filters from my ATV'ing and believe in them.

See Bee, I was originally planning on getting the Edge comp box, but wasn't sure I wanted to mess with tapping the fuel pump. Looks like it's a couple hundred dollars more too. Any suggestions on best place to source the Edge boxes. I saw an Edge Comp on Ebay for $550.

How difficult is it install the guages? Is there anywhere to go for detailed install instructions? What are the best source and brands? I've seen a buddy of mine install on the drivers side pillar with a new piece of molding that looked nice on his SuperDuty.

Is a pusher pump at the tank a must? What is the best brand?

Mike D, Thanks for mentioning this site! Looks like a great resource!

Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Chapter President

The gauges and gauge pod can be found online, just got to search for the best deal. The fuel pressure gauge and boost gauge are the easiest of the three to install. The pyro takes a little bit of drilling and tapping on the exhaust manifold. There is a local place for you to get edge stuff. Talk with Kellys Bars and Grills off of Griffith St. PM me about the cold air intake.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another benefit of the comp is the ability to turn it off while retaining the boost fooler capability. most of the fuel boxes come with a boost elbow to mechanically allow higher boost (replaces the stock fitting in the compressor side of the turbo, controls the wastegate).
also search for marco's MAD ECM. it is a replacement ECM that has all of the performance mods built in.
www.wagnerandassociates.biz for info, there's a HUGE post here and at turbo diesel register
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 PM

I have been in your situation for 3 years this month.
I purchased my 02 3500 HO 6 speed dually in may of 2002, i wanted some upgrades and didnt want to slip the stock HO clutch.

Well, at 1500 miles i did the superchips D box its 65HP and 140? TQ ...it made a heck of a difference, its a rebadged EZ box.
I knew it would need to be cooled off, so i did the NAPA BHAF, and rip rook 4 inch exhaust.
Those last 2 didnt really increase power, but i felt that the truck needed them to stay cooler and hopefully not burn up.

At 22,000 miles i did the RV 275 injectors off ebay, these were the bosch original injectors for about 230.00 shipped , no core required. I could tell that the truck has even more power with these small upgraded injectors,smokes alot more too

I have gotten after it in 4wd from a dead stop racing mustangs about 10 times in the past year, my stock clutch still holding fine after 11,000 miles.
I do tow a car to and from the track here in KC and down to bowling green kentucky, tows great, no problems.
I think those mods are about the extent of what you can do before you slip the stock clutch, since yours has more miles, you might just want to buy the box that you eventually tap the pump wire, because once you do get a new clutch, your new clutch will hold the power.

HTH
BW
Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 AM

OK, picked up the truck this weekend. So far so good. I averaged about 17mpg running mostly around 75mph on stock set up over a 1000 mile return trip.

I went by the local shop yesterday, went ahead and ordered the Edge Comp (they were out of stock). Will be in this morning. Can't wait to go pick it up. I'm not going to pierce for a little while at least. I'm going to order guages and pod in the next few weeks and work on that one weekend myself. I'm currently looking for a replacement filter to fit the stock box. I'm not going to mess with the Scotty at this point. Any suggestions on stock filter replacement besides K&N? I don't think I want to go that route; heard they don't have enough layers for the forced air on a diesel.

Ok, you guys were right. The bombing seems to be starting..........hope it is controllable.........

Quick Reply: 1st mods to a stock cummins