Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

12 Valve On Board Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 Valve On Board Air Compressor

I have spent literally hours looking for information for on board air setups on 12 valves. I have a bit of experience building these systems on Jeeps but I would like to see some pics or listen to some experience on 12 valve Cummins. So far all I can find is info for the 24 valves and that is all from Kilby setups. I have looked on the Kilby website and they only show brackets for 24 valve setups. Let me know what experience you have and post pics if available please. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:11 AM

I used a 24 setup from kilby on a 12 valve by changing the bracket to a threw bolt. It kept breaking the little 5/16 bolt off. It was taken off to put back on a 24. I am going to make a bracket that ties to the picking eye and the alt. bolt for more strength. The pulley for the alt. worked but I had to move the tensioner bracket to a different spot. I think buy coming off of the picking eye with a plate to bolt solid to it will work. Good luck
Old 12-25-2005, 06:44 AM

Thank you very much for the info. I assume using the Kilby brackets you mounted the compressor horizontally. I have always mounted the York compressors vertically so you can make use of the "oil bath" lubrication. With the compressor laying on its side how do you lubricate it? Do you have to use an inline oiler on the intake?
Old 12-25-2005, 06:23 PM
JSX

Originally Posted by wheelin66
Thank you very much for the info. I assume using the Kilby brackets you mounted the compressor horizontally. I have always mounted the York compressors vertically so you can make use of the "oil bath" lubrication. With the compressor laying on its side how do you lubricate it? Do you have to use an inline oiler on the intake?
Yorks can be mounted horizontally with no problem, they come that way in some cars. Check out the york manual at Kilby, they recomend when it's mounted this way, the suction side should be on top.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:30 PM

JSX is right, but I have the one right now mounted with the suction side on the bottom cause I couldn't find the right hand suction. Finding the right pulley is kind of tough also but you can swap the pulley and magnet to other compressors pretty easy. They will last quite awhile mounted wrong you just have to check the oil in them more often. I don't run mine all the time just when it is needed to run a impact or pump up a tire. They are handier than buttons on a shirt!Good luck