Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Converting AC compressor for air compressor use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting AC compressor for air compressor use?

I'd like to put an air system on my CTD , i want to mount the compressor such as one would mount a hyd pump for a snowplow , off of the side of the alt.

I have a brand new AC compressor off of a toyota, is there any way i can use this? it has an electric clutch on it , so i can only turn it on when air is needed.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:37 PM

I don't know if that would work or not. Personally I think it would be cool to run a full time compresor like on semi trucks. That way you could have your onboard air system and have the shock facter of the blow-off valve letting off some preasure while driving and ideling in the parking lot.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
JKM

I don't want it robbing HP and fuel milage all the time. I just want it for my air horn , some air seats in the future , and for general use around the farm , servicing stuff in the field.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:45 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

The only problem I see is needing constant lubrication, but an oil dropper in the suction line should work fine, just keep it filled.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:46 PM

Ya I know what you mean. Whether the AC compressor would work or not it would be pretty slick to be able to turn it off and on when you need it. How big of a tank are you planning to use and where do you plan to mount it. I would like to do the same thing one of these days for a set of train horns and for working on equipment.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:58 PM

You need a York style compressor. They were used in the 70's and 80's on ford and other makes. They make wonderful air compressors. You can also find a kit to mount it with and change the alt. pulley to drive it. I have this setup on my old truck and it works great. Oil is contained in the crank case of the compressor so no need to add external oil.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:45 PM

you CAN use a yota compressor, but as was stated before, you need an inline oil setup. like was also stated before, a YORK compressor is ideal, all self lubricated. you just run power to the clutch, install a switch and your in business. i had this on my 86 toyota for running air tools on the trail and all the cage work and bumpers were airtight and hooked together and acted as my air tank. PM me and ill link you to a sight that has a few write ups on this.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:19 PM

I converted my AC compressor on my Sonoma to pump air. I had an oil drip on the intake and an oil separator on the output. it worked good, but you can not run it at all above idle. I burnt up 3 compressors that way.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The kit everyone is speaking of can be found at onboardair.com
Old 03-06-2006, 08:07 AM

kilby makes a setup like that for the 3rd gens, has everything you need to make some air, runs like 8 cfm depending on rpm of the engine... heres the linkhttp://kilbyenterprises.com
Old 03-06-2006, 11:53 AM
JKM

Will any york compressor work? Maybe i can find someone to trade me straight up... i already have most everything else. I was going to mount the tank(s) down on the passenger frame rail.

I am not even considering buying any sort of a kit , i have 0$ to invest in this , anything i have better be darn near free...

Does anyone have a picture of a york compressor? so i know what i am looking for.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look thoroughly through Kilby's site, you'll find York compressor information along with do-it-yourself instructions.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
Will any york compressor work? Maybe i can find someone to trade me straight up... i already have most everything else. I was going to mount the tank(s) down on the passenger frame rail.

I am not even considering buying any sort of a kit , i have 0$ to invest in this , anything i have better be darn near free...

Does anyone have a picture of a york compressor? so i know what i am looking for.
Also, check the tech sections of various 4X4 sites like: www.pirate4X4.com, www.pavementsucks.com, and www.rockcrawler.com - or do a simple internet search - it wont take too long to find the York info youre looking for.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:04 AM

York compressors were also used stock in most Volvos. It shouldn't be hard to find one in your local junk yard. Dr. Evil posted some good sources of info. The 4wd sites have a lot of good info on this mod, as it is a common one.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:18 AM
JKM

Alright , i know what a york compressor looks like now , and i know where there is one too! Only glitch is that i think my dad would notice the a/c missing off of his combine once summer rolled around i am off to the junk yard...

Quick Reply: Converting AC compressor for air compressor use?