Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

is your dog smarter than you are?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is your dog smarter than you are?

one of my favorite phrases is "organized is just another word for ****"

well, i'm pretty organized. before i go to bed every nite, i have a set routine, of checking the house doors, checking the garage, piling my badge, wallet, keys up on the counter.

and AS SOON as the wife and I hit the pillow, my dog makes a patrol around the house. it's like clockwork, she turns on the motion detector light whenever she makes a patrol. soon as we lay down, the motion detector comes on.

so for a few months, i could never figure out how she knew when we laid down. was wondering the crap out of me & the wife.

know how she knew?

i was out in the front yard once, and hit the remote to get something out of the truck, and the park lite flash lit up the whole side yard (we are in a dark area)

so, every night, after lockin up house, i was locking the truck remotely, and she could see the flash form the park lites, and she was walking around to see what was going on!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is pretty smart.

Live with a Blue Heeler for a while. Ralph figures stuff out. He amazes me every day with stuff he has figured out. He knows when I am supposed to be home and is in the window waiting for me when I get there. He knows when I am going to put him outside and will go hide under a chair. I am not talking about me making motions and stuff and him figuring it out, He will do these things 5 minutes before I am gonna do it. He will lay in the bathroom floor until I am ready to get out of the shower and when I am ready he will move over to the shower door so when I open it hcan lick the water off of it.
Its like he can read my mind or something and he knows what I am going to do well ahead of me doint it. Kinda freaks me out.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The last Black lab I had was a Diabetic like myself, he lost his eye sight but he never let that slow him down a bit. I would let him in the house in the morning to give him his insulin shot and feed him his special diet.

He would lay on the floor in the living room and listen to me open up the fridge and get his insulin out. I would roll the bottle in my hands to lightly mix it and his ears would perk up to the almost silent noise I was making.

I would insert the needle into the insulin bottle and fill the syringe, then set the bottle on the table. The moment that bottle touched the table he would walk into the dining room and sit at my feet with his back to me, so I could give him his injection.

Without a word spoken he would go to his food bowl and eat breakfast just as soon as I finished, we did this routine daily for a couple of years. Nothing could phase that dog, smartest animal I ever owned.

Later in the day I had to take a urine sample to check his blood sugar, he would go into a small plastic cup that I hung from the fence with a long wire handle on it. Amazing how he could understand exactly what I needed him to do with a minimum of training.

He knew by the time of day when it was time to go to the cup instead of his favorite tree. I would walk out the door and he would meet me at the cup. Dogs are a great deal smarter than people give them credit to be, and if you learn how to relate to them, they will almost read your mind just to please you.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:27 PM

we had a blue healer as well and i can testify, very very smart dog, a joy to have on the farm
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
We might have named our Min-Pin after the wrong celebrity.
Instead of Obi-Wan Kanobi, we should have named him Houdini.
He has learned to climb the 4 foot tall wire mesh walls of his 4 foot X 6 foot cage and 'escape'.
So I added a second section of the wire mesh tilted in at 45* toward the inside of the cage.
It took him ONE NIGHT to figure that the 6 inch wide gap in the top section near the gate hinge gave him just enough space to climb up and squeeze out.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:05 AM

Live with a Blue Heeler for a while.
We have a Blue Heeler/Border Collie mix. One of our cats liked to claw on the back of the sofa and whenever we heard her doing this we would make a, "TSSSST" noise to get her to stop. Mick quickly picked up on this and would chase the cat away whenever we would make the noise. Now, if he hears a cat clawing on anything in the house he'll come running to put a stop to it. We were amazed at how quickly he learned that especially since it's not something that we were trying to train him to do. For him I guess it was just an excuse to chase a cat.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our 2 Shelties are much smarter than me. I get up and go to work in the mornings to pay for their food, vet bills, etc. They stay home and enjoy the benefits.

Rusty
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

I've got a Great Pyrenees. Bless his heart...he's just dumb.

Of course...my wife jokes that he's actually incredibly brilliant and he just ACTS dumb so we don't expect much from him.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Our 2 Shelties are much smarter than me. I get up and go to work in the mornings to pay for their food, vet bills, etc. They stay home and enjoy the benefits.

Rusty
That must be a trait of that breed. My Sheltie does the same thing. In a lot of ways, I like dogs more than people. Except "dog people" of course.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by amartinson
In a lot of ways, I like dogs more than people. Except "dog people" of course.
Like the old saying, "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog!"

Rusty
Old 02-03-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Like the old saying, "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog!"

Rusty
Oh so true!

MikeyB
Old 02-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
I've got a Great Pyrenees. Bless his heart...he's just dumb.

Of course...my wife jokes that he's actually incredibly brilliant and he just ACTS dumb so we don't expect much from him.
Well they do say that Dog's pick up the same traits as their human masters
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Well they do say that Dog's pick up the same traits as their human masters
Zinggggggggg
Old 02-03-2006, 01:56 PM

my dog knows when we're going hunting....He normally sleeps in after I get up, but on hunting days, he always seems to get up when I do...When I let him out to do his business, he comes back to the house....On hunting days, he gets in the truck bed and waits for me instead of coming back to the porch...
Old 02-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

i have a pit bull terrier...yes a pit bull, and she may be as sweet as candy but also dumb as a rock...she sits on the couch looking out the indow all day for me to come home...she sleeps anywhere she falls, and she is no good as a watch dog cuz she gets excited when strangers come to the house. she chases atv's 3-4 times her size, and has been run over and pinned by one...never phased her she come from under neath biting the tires. every morning she gets a can of food and will chase her bowl all over the house to lick every drop up. most dogs when you get mad at them and use "THE TONE OF VOICE" that bad dogs get..they run and hide...not mine...she runs to me, lays down at my feet and wiggles on her back to show me her belly which im supposed to rub when she knows im mad.

maybe this dog is just really smart...like previously stated...i work to pay the bills while she sleeps all day and enjoys the benefits

Quick Reply: is your dog smarter than you are?