Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Work Vehicle... Used Explorer, Trailblazer, 4cyl Ranger or 4cyl Tacoma Pre Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work Vehicle... Used Explorer, Trailblazer, 4cyl Ranger or 4cyl Tacoma Pre Runner?

I was going to get an old 12V cummins for a work vehicle but I've already got a trailer puller (in my sig) and I just need something to jet around town in to look at jobs and pick up little stuff with. It would be nice to have some organization since I would have samples I'd be carrying around as well which is why I am looking suv as well but I could get by with an ext cab.

Anyone own one of these trucks? This is for a flooring company I've went in on and will be running. 40K miles a year so mpg is very important.

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM

My vote would be for the Tacoma. I had one with the 2.7 and it was a good, solid small truck.
The big decision seems to be "do you want an SUV or a small truck?". If you are looking at Tacoma, also consider the 4runner or possibly a Toyota T100, as they were available with a long bed regular cab.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks, that's what I'm leaning toward but it seems like everyone else on ebay is leaning towards that too when looking at prices. Might as well pony up for a new one really when looking at used prices.

I'm less concerned with the long bed... I'd rather have an ext cab or maybe even an suv, but I don't know any mid sized suv's (that wouldn't make me look like a homo) that get mid-upper 20's mpg like a 4 cyl toyota or ranger would get.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

a taco or fronty would be your best bet.
before I got my fronty, I had a 4 cyl S-10, by 50K miles, I had to replace the spark plugs and wires, over heated the transmission hauling 150 pounds, 300 miles.
A buddy had a 4 cyl ranger, he was having engine issues at 70K, but I will be the first to say, he drove it HARD.

The draw backs to a 4 cyl is they get driven hard around town as work vehicles. it seems bigger trucks and engines dont get abused as much, but that depends on if its just you driving it or if its employees.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Not exactly a recommendation....

Buddy has a '01 Tacoma 4cyl 5spd. It doesn't grunt. It doesn't wrap. The "power band" is VERY narrow. It gets low 20's.

My '03 2500 gets an overall average of 19.3 and it does GRUNT!

Take this post for what it's worth.... nothing!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 PM

little trucks just dont make very good work trucks. they can handle some small jobs.
I guess it really depends is the small truck really a work truck or a replacement for a car?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 PM

I use Astro/Safari vans for my work trucks. More economical than full size and can carry most of what I need. You can get them as cargo or passenger. I always have at least 1 passenger with the back converted to cargo (behind middle seat). I have had great service from these vans for years. Fuel mileage tends to average around 18 mpg unless they are loaded up too much. If you don't have roof racks and a lot of weight in them they should get low 20's on average. Used is the only way to get them now since Chevy stopped production after 2005.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
Not exactly a recommendation....

Buddy has a '01 Tacoma 4cyl 5spd. It doesn't grunt. It doesn't wrap. The "power band" is VERY narrow. It gets low 20's.

My '03 2500 gets an overall average of 19.3 and it does GRUNT!

Take this post for what it's worth.... nothing!
Yeah man, I'd love to have another cummins don't tease me! This company is basically 3 years old but will be re organized to cater to retail as well as the current commercial clients. So that means lots of looking at little miss house wife's flooring needs and doing bids. I have an employee that will be running 70% of the jobs and that entails picking up stuff off the docks sometimes in his truck.

I just need an about town car that looks professional as a sales guy. When I have to pick up stuff I have my cummins on reserve. I don't know if I could justify the cost of another cummins.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
little trucks just dont make very good work trucks. they can handle some small jobs.
I guess it really depends is the small truck really a work truck or a replacement for a car?
It's a replacement for a car really that might get overloaded sometimes. If I had a used SUV that logged 40K miles a year I wouldn't mind tearing up the cargo hatch loading material into it when needed. It won't be worth much after 3 years anyway.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 AM

really, type of vehicle doesn't matter so much as how its kept.
even an older rig that is shiny, clean, quiet and properly badged will make a nice impression.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Yeah that's my thought really. I don't want to look like a big spender either because that means "I'm making too much money".

Like a 2003-2005 2wd v6 xlt explorer with 50-80K miles on it would be a nice ride. I'd wear it out within 3 years anyway and get something else.