Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wood stove pipe work

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood stove pipe work

In the middle installing my wood burning stove. Particularly the indoor pipes. They are single layer of sheet metal, not too thick. Transitions to double wall on outside. Question is, the fit and finish of this single layer stuff is crap. They come split down the middle and you have to fold them closed to get the pipe to look like a pipe. When you go to bend and twist them to fit, it will connect with other seam but, now the hole of pipe is a little oval or oblong. Not perfectly round. Is this just me...I'm sure this will be a very bad leak if I leave it alone. Or do just try my best to get it back to round. Can I use that temp sensitive silicone? red stuff? or...suggestions?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM

be really careful! it almost sounds like your talking about b-vent pipe that's meant for pellet, or gas stoves. i thought all wood stove pipe was supposed to be double wall (it is in our county building code) and you should not have to add anything to seal up the pipe- that, in of itself is very dangerous, and could lead to carbon monoxide in your home, which can be deadly especially if it happens while you're sleeping.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Gas stoves pipe fit in basakwards than wood pipes....In woodstoves the female end of the pipe is on the top an male end of second pipe slides into the top of first pipe. That way creasote runs down inside of pipes. Sometimes the pipe will be a pain in the rear to put together, get them as round as you can an slip them together. You shoud also have a support system to hold the insulated pipe up...it is a box that you put in to hold everything away from combustable material...see pic
Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Gas stoves pipe fit in basakwards than wood pipes....In woodstoves the female end of the pipe is on the top an male end of second pipe slides into the top of first pipe. That way creasote runs down inside of pipes. Sometimes the pipe will be a pain in the rear to put together, get them as round as you can an slip them together. You shoud also have a support system to hold the insulated pipe up...it is a box that you put in to hold everything away from combustable material...see pic
i hope that piece of sheet metal behind your stove isn't brown from exposure to high heat! if it is, you need to check the clearance specs for your stove.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM

LOL.............No it is a used piece i had that was a cover on a burn barrel. My plans are to build a rock wall on those two sides with water flowing down the rocks instead of a pot on stove. Next winters project.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
LOL.............No it is a used piece i had that was a cover on a burn barrel. My plans are to build a rock wall on those two sides with water flowing down the rocks instead of a pot on stove. Next winters project.
phew!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Speaking of woodstoves I had a chimney fire yesterday it was my fault when I cleaned out my chimney the other day I must not of latched the cleanout door and it blew open with a backdraft. Luckly I have a stainless liner and there was snow on my roof,I made out ok just a little shaken up.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all inside pipe need to be double walled. Or it can start a fire easily. And the outside pipe should be double walled if its close to your house.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
phew!!!!!!

That's OK I get that a lot...maybe I ought to get a can of spray paint an paint them till I start laying rock. Next year I will bring home a load of 3 inch an lay a foot of wall at a time. Idea is to have a hidden trough at top of wall with holes drilled into bottom of trough so water can run down face of rocks, at bottom the pad will sloop back to a trough that drains into a deeper area for pump and filter.