Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wiring up a RV plug.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Wiring up a RV plug.

We have a friend that has a place on the lake. He is wanting to hook up two RV plugs about 120' away, for us and another friend to park our RVs for a week during the 4th of July. Both TTs have 30 amp service. Does anyone know what size wire would be needed. How would be the CORRECT, and SAFE way to hook this up.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopardan
We have a friend that has a place on the lake. He is wanting to hook up two RV plugs about 120' away, for us and another friend to park our RVs for a week during the 4th of July. Both TTs have 30 amp service. Does anyone know what size wire would be needed. How would be the CORRECT, and SAFE way to hook this up.
If you have a 30 amp feed then use 10-3 wire. Never use smaller wire than you're fused for. Be aware that if the feed is fused for 30 amp that's the TOTAL you can draw from both campers. If you have a 60 amp feed then both can draw 30 amps.

Edwin
Old 05-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Have a good electrician do this for you - - 120' is a good distance. Have him spec it out according to local code.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would run #8 because it's over 100' ( for the 30 amp ).
Old 05-21-2006, 09:03 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I would definietly go as big as you can afford
We use #6 for our eqipment.
You can do this in a couple ways, either bury conduit 18" deep and run your wires thru the conduit, or (easier) buy cable rated for direct burial. Either way, I would use stranded cable instead of solid wire. At the location for the trailers, you will need a ground rod for each trailer along with NEMA 3R or better recepticals or a disconnection box.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 PM

Thanks for help! He has a mobile home on 1 lot and he just purchased 2 more lots . His MH has full hook ups. (power,water,sewer,) He is coming off of his pole with a breaker box and running power to 2 RV plugs for our convinence. I'm going to buy the wire because this should not be an expense for him IMHO. Would we need a 60 amp breaker or (2) 30s? Would we need to run a ground from pole or could we use a ground rod as stated above? My electrial knowledge is limited! (can't ya tell)
Old 05-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I would definietly go as big as you can afford
We use #6 for our eqipment.
I agree with the #6. For a 30amp circuit #10 is the minimum, but for 120' you'll have a significant voltage drop. Too much drop and you won't kick over the A/C compressor when it's hot. I'm guessing you want A/C in July.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:21 AM

RV installations are covered in article 551 of the code. You will need a 3r rainproof panel with two 30 1 pole GFCI breakers. The panel will need to be at least 60A rated. The recepticles will need to be mounted in a box below the panel that has a rainproof in use cover. The feed would need to be #8 minimum but I would use #6 copper or #4 AL. Use a 2p 40A breaker to feed the panel, one hot to each breaker in the sub panel. You must run 2 hots a neutral and a ground wire to the sub panel that are all the same size. The neutral bus in the sub panel must not be bonded to the ground. All Ground wires must be terminated in a ground bus in the sub panel. I find no article in the code that requires a ground rod at the sub panel, but local codes might require it. The recepticles must be higher than 2 feet but not higher than 6 feet off of the ground and have clear space in front of the panel.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:19 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I find a ground rod benefitical near any remote equipment (just personal experience here)
The NEC is a great guideline for electrical installation, however, it is only required for public installation. That being said, I would make every effort to meet the code since its going to cost about the same to get the right equipment as it will to get the wrong equipment.
One definite is to use 3R or better equipment on anything outdoor.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/el...tems-t_33.html
look thru here and see if it helps answer any questions or ask here. Im not an electrical engineer and most of my experience is industrial and Class1 Div1, but I know a little about the rest.