Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

And the winner Is..............

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And the winner Is..............

Trenton cop versus Trenton firefighter case likely to go to trial
Published: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 8:50 AM Updated: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 9:26 AM
Alex Zdan/The Times By Alex Zdan/The Times

davis.jpgTrenton police officer Lawrence "Mike" Davis

TRENTON — It was Trenton police versus Trenton firemen in a city courtroom yesterday as the case of a firefighter ticketed for obstructing traffic outside an emergency scene went before a municipal judge.

Though indications after the June 8 incident were that the two non-moving violations were going to be settled without a visit to a courtroom, it appears now the case is going to trial. During the brief hearing yesterday evening, the judge accepted the fire union lawyer’s motion to have the upcoming trial heard before a judge from another town and conducted by the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office.

Firefighters’ union president Wayne Wolk said he believes the police officer had no right to give the tickets, and was stunned the case has not been dropped.

“This is a waste of the taxpayers’ money,” Wolk said. “This is stupidity, and I have more important things to do.”

Wolk pointed out that the officer involved will be paid for court time if he’s not on duty when the trial occurs, and both members of the fire department who went to court will be putting in for overtime. The city taxpayers already footed the bill for a contracted municipal prosecutor last night, and will likely pay for the judge brought in from another jurisdiction when the trial occurs. An assistant prosecutor will be sent from the county to argue the police department’s case.

The confrontation between police officers and firefighters, which is also the subject of a police Internal Affairs investigation, began early in the evening of June 8 outside the Broad Street Bank building, the fire union’s lawyer Andrew Bayer said.

Firefighters had been sent to the East State Street address to investigate an alarm in the high-rise apartment complex. With engines and ladders parked on the two-lane downtown street, Battalion Chief Steve Coltre told his driver Firefighter Ken Stout to place the chief’s marked SUV across the road.

“Stout was directed to block the scene for safety,” Bayer said.

Police Officer Lawrence “Mike” Davis then came on the scene and told Coltre to move his vehicle. Coltre refused, and a “discussion” occurred, Bayer said.

“There’s a statute that says a fire chief controls a fire scene as a matter of law, and so police officers can’t issue a ticket to a fire chief at a fire scene,” Bayer said. “Which is what happened here.”

“He distracted the chief from supervising the scene while his men were in the building,” Ron Ettenger, the firefighters’ union’s state delegate, said.

Stout received summonses for obstructing traffic and failure to display his driver’s license. Together the fines for the tickets are $255 if a guilty plea is made, Bayer said.
Municipal Prosecutor Robert Yostembski said he was not aware of the facts of the case, but agreed with the decision to change the venue for the trial. He had no comment on whether the case was unnecessary.

“I don’t have any feelings on that,” he said.

In court last night, Davis declined comment because he was not authorized to speak to the media. Lt. Don Fillinger would only express a desire the case is resolved soon.
“I hope this all gets rectified,” Fillinger said.

The night the tickets were issued, Davis told Fillinger he might reconsider the summonses, Fillinger said. Fire Director Qareeb Bashir and Police Director Ralph Rivera Jr. were in contact about the matter when it occurred, Bashir said at the time, but neither director has indicated what they spoke about.

Fire union officials say the union would pay any fines if Stout were to lose the case.
“I think the bigger problem is a precedent it would set,” Ettenger said.

“It’s bad policy,” Bayer said.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Another officer with an "I have a badge and a gun.... the law is what I say it is" attitude wasting taxpayer dollars.
They should make him ride the fire truck for a few weeks.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Another officer with an "I have a badge and a gun.... the law is what I say it is" attitude wasting taxpayer dollars.
Yeah, only problem with that idea is he'd never survive it!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Tim would probably agree
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
“There’s a statute that says a fire chief controls a fire scene as a matter of law, and so police officers can’t issue a ticket to a fire chief at a fire scene,” Bayer said. “Which is what happened here.”

Gee, seems pretty clear to me, it is also that way around here.

I think they should take the cost to the Taxpayer out of the Cops salary...... Bet he would learn the law real fast that way.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
WTFO! I think they're both guilty for taking it this far over $255. Unbeleivable.

I should re-phrase that, the officer, fire chief, and everyone in the courtsystem are all guilty of wasting time/money over a bloated ego.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Yeah, only problem with that idea is he'd never survive it!
yeah, so...
Originally Posted by patdaly

Gee, seems pretty clear to me, it is also that way around here.

I think they should take the cost to the Taxpayer out of the Cops salary...... Bet he would learn the law real fast that way.
sounds like a good place for a civil suit... like every registered voter in the township filing one....
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a case before the Alberta Courts right now. I don't remember all the details but it is a squabble between local police and firefighters. When I read it a couple of weeks ago I was really disappointed. If there are 3 groups that are ever going to need to work together it is EMS, police and firefighters (often at the same time). I know that all 3 jobs take stones that you have to carry around in a wheelbarrow, but I was really disappointed that their squabble ended up in the courts. NOTHING good can come from that.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
...... I was really disappointed that their squabble ended up in the courts. NOTHING good can come from that.
I disagree, the lawyers involved on both sides will profit handsomely......
Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM

I disagree, the lawyers involved on both sides will profit handsomely......
With the abundant supply of tax dollars available.