Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Chinese trailer wheel bearings. How much confidence do you have in them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chinese trailer wheel bearings. How much confidence do you have in them?

I just bought a used 5th wheel camper, 27ft & decided to repack the wheel bearings, before I use it on a 600 mile trip this weekend. Well, I saw the grease seal was dry as bone & leaking, so I went the full route and got new all 4 new bearing & seal "Kits". I was in a jam as time was short. The trailer dealer gave me Taiwanese make bearings..don't remember the name..but, has anyone had good luck with Chinese trailer wheel bearings? Yea, timkin or other American bearings would have been the best, but could not wait a couple days for them to get here.Chinese trailer wheel bearings. How much confidence do you have in them?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 AM

About as much confidence I have in my Chinese trailer tire that separated just sitting in my driveway...
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
First off, Taiwanese or Chinese? Believe me, there is a difference.

I haven't heard anything bad about Taiwanese bearings.

Also, do not assume just because it says Timken that it isn't still Chinese...
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far from civilization are you that you couldn't walk into a bearing house and buy something decent like NSK,or NTN Japanese bearings?Mainland China sucks and Taiwan is not far behind.If your desperate call 'em in and over nite or 2nd day delivery.NOT bashing you,just passing along hard learned lessons.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Chinese bearings was probably the original bearings to begin with.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Cincy quick hijack with apologies to RoadDiesel.I bought a Taiwanese copy of a German sewing machine some years ago.At the time I just could not afford the price for the European machine.Well to make a short story long it was always breaking something and I really needed that cylinder bed unit.I wound up installing German Parts in it and it has been running great for 17 years.I say replace the Chinese with Japanese or US made in USA bearings.Just my $.03 worth.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 PM

If you can't get any other bearings in time, they should work fine for your 600 mile trip. You could always pull them when you get back and check them. If you aren't comfortable running them, order what you need to replace them. Me, I would trust them for the trip, at least.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

What he said. Than if you are going to be going on longer trips I would get some good ones.

Originally Posted by klx650a2
About as much confidence I have in my Chinese trailer tire that separated just sitting in my driveway...
Had two of them go bad on the same side (I thought it was due to the sun). Than my Dad had one go bad just sitting there and his is parked in the shade.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Chinese tires will last forever.......

If you don't put them on a rim.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

when it comes to bearings. Just get Timkens or SKF and be happy.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I would agree with this. With the cheap way trailers are manufactured, I bet most of them come with the cheapest bearings that can be found. Really I've never seen a trailer bearing that failed that wasn't badly neglected. Of course, if I had a choice, I'd choose North American parts but if I was in a bind I wouldn't worry too much about it. Make sure whatever you use is packed well.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 AM

I put all 4 wheels in last night...yea, the new ones say made in China ....the ones I took out say made in Romaina!!! huh?? yep..Romaina!! thanks for the comments..that is what I was looking for!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by RoadDiesel
I put all 4 wheels in last night...yea, the new ones say made in China ....the ones I took out say made in Romaina!!! huh?? yep..Romaina!! thanks for the comments..that is what I was looking for!
URB bearings?

I have seen some decent stuff out of eastern Europe. they can be a PITA to work with tho.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you use the trailer much get get a couple of spare bearing kits and a small tub of grease to carry with you.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:18 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

And a pair of rubber gloves so your wifes hands wont get too greasy.

Quick Reply: Chinese trailer wheel bearings. How much confidence do you have in them?