Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Window tinting in NoVa

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tinting in NoVa

Does anyone do or know anyone who does window tinting in the Northern Virginia area? I need to go 5% and the locals look dumbfounded if you ask for darker than 50%.

There are vehicles running around with dark tint, so someone is doing it.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you will not find any in no va most guys are doing it their selves.I called everyone that tints window in wv and no va and the darkest on front windows is 35 %
Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM

Dang!! 5%!!!!!??????
Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 PM

If you have a friend that knows what they are doing, or feel like tackling it yourself, you can buy pre-cut kits from ebay, I did for my truck, 5% on all windows, for $40, and had a friend help me put it on, for free.

You can also just buy the front 2 windows at 5% from ebay, and do that yourself/with some help, and get a shop to do the other ones(might help to watch how they do it, so you can learn something, I know I did when they did my front strip).
Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Generally, you can ask someone that works at a tint shop if they will apply 5% tint on your ride. Usually if you tell them that you don’t need a receipt and not to apply “their” company sticker to your window they will do it with no problem. 5% is illegal as…. Well you know…. But that is what I have had on my vehicles for as long as I can remember.

Now…. That said. I love dark window tint. I like how it makes your vehicle look and I like knowing that no one can see inside your vehicle. But that is kind of a catch 22. If I were a police officer I would hate to walk up on a vehicle with dark window tint because you can’t see what is going on in the vehicle. I’ve heard that officers place their hand on the car while walking up to see if there is any movement in the vehicle that they can’t see in. I don’t envy the officer that has to stop a vehicle with dark windows. That is exactly why I roll down every window in my vehicle if I get stopped just to give the officer a little more reassurance while walking up on my ride.

Britt

Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 PM

PS-If you call them, they will most likely say no, they will not do it.

Do like Britt said, just ask them. I know when I wanted my front strip done, the guy asked me how far down I wanted it, saying that he could do it to the line that is on the windshield. I said "about an inch below that." He told me no problem, you should go lower than that, and do you want it to match the 5% tint on the sides? I wound up going about 1.5 or so inches below the line. I may rip off my front windows since I messed them up and get them to re-do them.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I've had all my trucks done with 5% since 1998, but I was living in TN. The shop I used was always accommodating with no questions asked.

Having a tougher time in here Liberal Land.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If u have a couple hours of free time, it's not that bad of a process. I tinted the windows in my dodge, and my chevy i sold, the tint cost like $16 for two rolls. I've had great results with the 5% metalized tint from Shucks, i think it's axion or somthing (it looks great, it's not that crappy blueish tint). As long as u scrap the window clean with a razor blade and some soapy water, then clean it well. The tint comes with pretty good directions, and I just use a credit card to squeegy the water/air from behind the tint once it's in place. Haven't had one bubble or peel, it's just like painting, u gotta have a nice clean base. And it helps when it's warm and sunny so the tint drys and adheres faster.