Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wi-Fi theft

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wi-Fi theft

A guy in Florida is being charged with a 3rd degree felony for getting onto the internet using someone else's wi-fi equipment. Like the article says, if you use a wireless router, TURN ON YOUR SECURITY SETTINGS (if you don't know how, you should find out).

Click here for link

~Rob
Old 07-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really care if people steal my bandwidth...

If my neighbors were doing it, I wouldn't care. Unless they kept my bandwidth hogged by downloading **** or something.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A friend of mine is using his neighbor's (2 doors down) signal.

He's not hacking their computers or using their connection to do illegal things on the internet so I can't say it hurts the clueless neighbor. I still think it's wrong, though. Just because somebody isn't using something doesn't make it OK to take it.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
It is not the stealing of the bandwidth I am worried about, but it is the fact I have too much critical information on my server I am concrned with.
If they can get into the internet, they can get into your computer. Even though I have my encryption enabled, I do not feel safe and I UNPLUG the Rj-45 from my access point at night.
Nice thing about ADSL or broadband is it is always on so the hacker has all the time in the world to try to get in.
I have a neighbor 2 doors down and sometimes at night when I am on my laptop I get a message that someone is trying to access my signal. I installed a high gain antenna on my A/P so I designed a reflector to make it directional so I can somewhat control my signal.
I also have Firewalls enabled and latest network security installed.
Here in L.A. during the last oscars there were people using a Direct TV antenna connected to their Wi-Fi on their laptops on rooftops and they were reading all of the reporters info off of their PDA's.
Stealing but ingenious.
But this is just me. Jim.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
This is something where intent would need to be proved. There are many places and even cities with free WiFi access. In this case though it was pretty obvious. The guy should have used a van or something so nobody could see in. Stupid is what stupid does.

I think the rule should be, if it isn't locked down then access is assumed to be permitted, especially since no tresspass of property is necessary. I.E. if your signal extends onto public property then use by the public should be assumed. If you want it private then lock it down.

Edwin
Old 07-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I have a problem with ANY kind of thievery, it just isn't right. I pay for it, my neighbor should not benefit from it for free. However, if asked I would give it to my neighbor for free, and never think another thought about it.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by edwinsmith
This is something where intent would need to be proved. There are many places and even cities with free WiFi access. In this case though it was pretty obvious. The guy should have used a van or something so nobody could see in. Stupid is what stupid does.

I think the rule should be, if it isn't locked down then access is assumed to be permitted, especially since no tresspass of property is necessary. I.E. if your signal extends onto public property then use by the public should be assumed. If you want it private then lock it down.

Edwin
Laws dealing with computer crime state the opposite. Permission can not be assumed to access a network just because it's "there". Permission must be given by the owner before access is considered legal.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:55 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally posted by TomW
Laws dealing with computer crime state the opposite. Permission can not be assumed to access a network just because it's "there". Permission must be given by the owner before access is considered legal.
You're right about this but still, public property is just that. Also, private property is private and I should be able to control everything on MY property. If a neighbors WiFi signal crosses over to my property line and it isn't protected then should I be able to prevent it? Since I cannot why shouldn't I be able to use it if it isn't protected?

In another analogous situation, there are many sattelite signals that come onto my property. If they are not locked down should I not be able to receive them since I can't prevent them from coming on my property?

Actually, I think that WiFi AP's should come locked down by default so that users would have to either disable the protection and therefore forfeit any privacy rights or they should learn how to enter the codes to be able to use it. It wouldn't be that difficult for the manufacturers to include simple wizards for configuring the security.

If you leave your windows open should a voyuer be penalized for looking inside with a telescope from across the street?

Most privacy is a fiction nowadays. If you don't take steps to guarantee your privacy then you have no reasonable expectation of having any.

Edwin
Old 07-07-2005, 07:34 PM

That is why my small home network (3 computers) is a wired system.
Tom
Old 07-07-2005, 08:22 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

For those that dont care if their neighbor is using their broadband consider this.
If your paying $50/month for broadband cable, and your neighbor is paying $50/month for broadband cable, you are both connecting thru the same cable line, using the same channel, and basically sharing bandwidth anyway. However, if your neighbor is using yours, its not hurting your performance any, it is compromising your security (unless your running a pc level firewall), Its YOUR IP address and associated MAC address that is showing up on server logs and on the ISP's logs. Your also causing the ISP to loose $50/month in revenues. If you dont think the $50/month in lost revenues matter, consider the estimated $12 BILLION the SIIA is reporting for lost revenues for last year due to people stealing a $50 program.
Personally, I have my feelings on SIIA, RIAA, and others, and I would be just as happy if they would not be checking my broadband connection and wireless router to see if there is some way they can get an extra $50 for invading my privacy.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:56 PM

I would think a felony is a little over kill. It may very well be stealing, but I do know that the truckers just scan to get a signal, are they all guilty of a felony? I don't have wi-fi.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:28 AM

I think I would be worried that my theiving neighbor might be accessing illegal websites (kiddie **** etc ...) on my dime and using my IP address and having the law come after me. Wouldn't look good even though it wasn't me doing it.

PISTOL
Old 07-08-2005, 07:25 AM

A guy in my building is a LAN guru and he says there are numerous violations that occur if you go sniffing around and using open wi-fi systems, even if unintentional. He is a LAN security consultant and keeps up with the laws so I figure he knows.

At one time his afterwork plan was to use a mobile setup to go around neighborhoods and find open wi-fi LANs and then offer to set up encryption for the owner for a small fee afer showing him how open their system really was. The only problem with that business plan was that it could land him in jail if even one person complained to the authorities - pirating signals is frowned upon in most jurisdictions.

Using somebody else's bandwidth without their permission is analogous to using their car - if something happens and somebody starts looking the owner is liable (accessing kiddie ****, terrorist sites, posting to extremist boards, etc).

I pay, I keep control, no issues to worry about other than paying the bill. And Big Brother is watching so I want to make sure my connection stays below the radar.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:04 PM

Glad you compared it to car theft. In many states, leaving the keys in the car negates the auto theft and turns it into unauthorized use. Far different.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM

"If it isn't locked down, access should be assumed." I don't think so. Some 25 to 30 years ago I'd stopped at my mothers house for a few minutes, was at the kitchen sink drawing a glass of water. Saw out the window 5 teenagers walking down the street, passing my pickup with professional camera and gear in the front bench seat. One of them walked over and opened the right door and leaned across the seat. About 3 seconds later I was standing beside him waiting for him to come out, he dropped the camera, turned around, and received my right fist haymaker right in the nose. Turns out I busted his nose and smashed his eyeglasses all over his face. I felt sorry about the glasses, didn't know he was wearing them actually. Later that night I talked with wife's brother-in-law, a teacher at a local high school. He saw a kid being assisted by another on each arm walking down the hall. He ask this kid what happened? Buddy told him, "I got in a disagreement with an older fella". My grandmother taught me. . .you knock on my door, you're likely to get invited to sit for a meal,. . .you enter my door unannounced. . .you're likely to get shot. Heaven help me if I get a jury of peers that agrees with the quote that I read on this string. Kids. . .what the hey they thinking.

Cheers,
Steve J

Quick Reply: Wi-Fi theft