Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Why do geese flee diesels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Why do geese flee diesels?

Why do geese (you know, the ones that are supposed to be in Canada in the summer and Florida in the winter but instead hang around in the middle and poop all year) run away from diesel powered vehicles, but not gas powered ones? Drive past them in your car and they just look at you like you're part of the scenery. Kinda like cats, except not so cute and fuzzy, and they think the whole world is their litterbox. Until I got my Dodge last month, I thought they just ran away from large vehicles, like trucks and buses, but I've noticed they run like hell to get away from my Dodge just like when I'm driving a heavy truck. ;D I know it's not the turbo noise, because they ran just as hard back when I drove school buses with the old 7.3 IH motor (like a Powerstroke with no turbo, what a dog). Any animal behaviorists out there who know what about diesels spooks the geese ?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Why do geese flee diesels?

Maybe they heard stories of some gettin sucked into the inake and not having any feathers when they come out???
Old 05-21-2003, 10:28 AM

I figure its because all of the dang penguins hanging around CTDs.<br><br>DOOOOOObie - dOOOOOObie........
Old 05-21-2003, 11:06 AM

Cause they have been sooted so many times.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:57 PM

Geese may, but buzzards don't. <br><br>I hit one in West Texas, and I had my windows down. Luckily, it hit at the top of my windshield, so what ever rotten stuff it regurgitated when I hit it went over my rig instead of INSIDE.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:29 PM

Old 05-22-2003, 09:40 PM

[quote author=me4osu link=board=10;threadid=14971;start=0#140647 date=1053539879]<br>Geese may, but buzzards don't. <br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br><br>as a Ford guy, I am biting my lip trying not to repond here.....<br><br><br> :-X :-X :-X<br><br><br>big jake, the FORD guy
Old 05-22-2003, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happen to anybody else??? Hmmmm maybe it the driver
Old 05-23-2003, 07:05 AM

Wouldnt you run like hell if you saw a CTD comming down the road <br><br>Maybe the smell of the diesel over the gas?
Old 05-23-2003, 10:05 AM

Old 05-23-2003, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have related this story once before but... I was dead tired in west Texas just east of the 10-20 split going east down the miles long down grade. I was driving an Astro which in '79 was almost new. I don't know what kind but there are white birds that fly at night there. One hit the windshield with a terrible bang and left a little blood on the glass. No broken glass, I went on after a real awakening experience. A few miles further the truck kept getting slower and finall I had to pull over and there it quit.<br><br>I tried several times to start it and with it so late and cold outside I retired to the bunk to check the truck out in the morning. In the day light the truck still did not start so moved everyting to raise the cab and went outside to jack it up. The intake stack had blood running down it so I looked up and the bird had filled the intake scoop totally. A little prodding with a cheater bar and he fell out. Truck started and I went on. When I sold the truck it still had feathers and whatnot that would work its way into the filter.<br><br>Guess he told them geese you are talking about <br><br>Now in the same place there was the time when the spiders were migrating across the road.....
Old 05-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Haulin' , that's not quite as disgusting as the buzzard guts , but it's funnier. Seriously, am I the only person who's noticed this? Back when I had my '85 Dodge gasser, the geese just stood by the side of the road or would wander out in front of me - bleepin' things know everybody stops for them - 'cept me ;D. Now with the CTD, they run like hell when they hear the truck, just like when I'm driving the work truck. BTW, am I the only person who can't stand these lazy excuses for Canadian geese? Is Canada that bad that they can't at least go there for the summer so as not to poop up the parks in the U.S.?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:12 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=wannadiesel link=board=10;threadid=14971;start=0#141471 date=1053724736]<br>Haulin' , that's not quite as disgusting as the buzzard guts , but it's funnier. Seriously, am I the only person who's noticed this? Back when I had my '85 Dodge gasser, the geese just stood by the side of the road or would wander out in front of me - bleepin' things know everybody stops for them - 'cept me ;D. Now with the CTD, they run like hell when they hear the truck, just like when I'm driving the work truck. BTW, am I the only person who can't stand these lazy excuses for Canadian geese? Is Canada that bad that they can't at least go there for the summer so as not to poop up the parks in the U.S.?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Dude, I think you're carrying this bird thing a little too far.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:19 AM

What's that old saying?<br><br>A bird under the truck is worth two in the bush?
Old 05-27-2003, 09:25 AM

I've noticed this with the stupid things in our subdivision. I just look at it as an added benefit of the truck.