Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Why can't people keep their hands off other people's stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of months ago I was in town getting a couple of new tires on a trencher. The next day I was going down to move a couple of calves and something just "told" me to check my drop hitch. Went back, It was gone.

I had used it a couple of days earlier. Had made that one stop. But what can you do, unless you see it or them taking it.

Stupid me. I had a locking pin in the truck!! I've been using it since then!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Got my locking pin from Walmart. Its a Fulton. Not as good as the master but its six years old now and still works great. It has a dust cap over the key hole but no O-ring on the shaft. If and when it starts acting up I think I will get the Master lock.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 AM

i leave my hitches either at home in the shop, or locked in the truck. the pintle setup was $150, and i'd rather just keep it. seems cheaper than buying a lock, and i see no need to drive around with it on there.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always remove mine when not in use. Saves my shins while walking around hte back of the truck and keeps people from pulling it out. I keep a small rubermaid box in the back of the truck with all my rachet straps and tow straps. I throw all my recievers in there.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrukow
I always remove mine when not in use. Saves my shins while walking around hte back of the truck and keeps people from pulling it out. I keep a small rubermaid box in the back of the truck with all my rachet straps and tow straps. I throw all my recievers in there.

I have my weight distribution hitch locked in the receiver. And, I intentionally leave it on in case a tailgater wants to run up my _____. Their radiator can eat it first, instead of my bumper.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 AM

I have the Master as well with no problems. I keep my hitch under the back seat or in a tool box. My shins wish more people put them away too. After all why else would they be removable.
I do have to say it is much more fun having a tailgater get a hole in his radiator and not a crunched bumper.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM

For those buying locking pins,here is a bit of advice. Be sure to try and buy a pin that has an actual diamater of 5/8". The last couple I've bought didn't have a 5/8" pin. The pin was 1/2" with a 5/8" sleeve that fit over the smaller diamater pin. The problem is that a few miles of towing with the smaller diamater pin (even though its sleeved to 5/8") will bend the pin and it will be a PITA to remove.

The locking pins were Master lock so they weren't a crappy off brand.

Its getting harder and harder to find a quality 5/8" locking pin. Most everything I'm finding is a sleeved 1/2" pin. They're sold as a combo pack.

I don't even know what a 1/2 pin would be for? A lawn tractor maybe?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Atv would be my guess do what I did find a good one and loose the key
Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like something I would do Cowboy.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 PM

I got a stainless lock from northern years ago and it is o-ring sealed and came with a rubber cap have never had a problem with it but now when I searched for another one like it they're about twice the price
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
I lock ever receiver I have now. Someone stole my weight distribution receiver from me when I was 1200 miles from home,camping. No replacement could be located. Fortunately I was able to make it home with the reg. receiver I had in the tool box. All I needed was a 2 5/16 ball.
My dad had a weight distributing hitch stolen off of a truck he used to have in an airport parking garage. We have been lucky as we have never had a problem with a standard pin, we also dont leave our hitches in when not used.

As for loosing things off of the truck, when I was working as a semi mechanic, I had to drive to Indianapolis to pick up a load of tire casings for a customer.

Had one that would not stay on the truck no matter how I tied it down. The first time it fell off was not a big deal, as the tire was on my side of the highway.

Second time it fell off, it rolled in to traffic and across to the other side of the highway.

I am glad some one was watching over me when I retrieved that tire.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
i would reccommend this as well - shaves someone's shins...