Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Why do some here HIGHLY Mod their truck if they don't intend to keep them??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do some here HIGHLY Mod their truck if they don't intend to keep them??

Right now there is a truck on the forsale site with DV's, injectors, 4k GSK, Fire Ring Head, wheels, tires, suspension, special paint, SB Clutch....etc.

It's a 98 12V, long bed, 5 speed and he is asking $20k for it.

Those are some nice upgrades but you have to assume that it has been run hard and he is selling it for a reason.

Except for loosing your job my question is why upgrade if you are not going to keep it?

My opinions are free.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know, that doesn't make sense. Best way would be to pull off any upgrades and sell them off separately and put truck back to stock and sell it. You'll get more money that way.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:09 PM

To some people its a hobby. Buy vehicles, mod them and sell'em. There will always be a market for pre-modded vehicles, so it can be a source of income. There also the type of person who loves modding their vheciles but gets bored with them easily.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
The Guru

Is it a nice truck? Some guys take good care of their stuff. Check it over good, it might be in good shape and worth the extra coin. You should post some pics for us to drool on? You don't see alot of original 98 12v, five speeds trucks in decent shape.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM

I would only sell my truck if I had absolutely no other choice. I am building it the way I would like it to be only because I intend to keep it a very long time.
mishkaya
Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM

For some folks, its their hobby. And some folks get bored with a vehicle very quickly. They end up wasting alot of money in the process, but thats way it is.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cause they have money burning a hole in there pocket lol. It makes no sense to me
Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 PM

Or for someone like me.... Its hard to haul kids in the back seat of a 2nd gen!!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM

Why do people buy new snowmobiles every year?
Why do people buy ski boats?

Everyone has a different way of having a hobby, some are cheap hobbies, others are expensive. It's just a "to each his own thing"

I would love to have trucks as a hobby.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 PM

I have had many trucks over the years and I hav always dumped money into them and thensold them a few years later. With me its always wanting somthing different, I change my mind an awful lot sometimes I even look back and say dang I should have kept that! Most of the trucks I have sold have been at a loss due to the parts I installed. Oh well, I always say you cant put a price on fun!
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 AM

I can answer this because i am one of those people. I try to build something forever, always something to add, always something more, but I'm like a raccoon and am fascinated by shinny things, so i see something shiny and have to have it, and will sell what ever i have cheap just so i can have the next thing. It is like a disease and it is expensive, but try as I might I cannot change, so I have excepted it and that is what happens.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM

my visa says i spent 10350 on my truck in 08 i"d sell it and start a new project no it's not abused and about to crap out but i got new ideas and want to try something else. I just got my custom chassis dream snowmobile running right and im probably selling it this weekend just going to do a new project.

when you were a kid did you keep the first snow fort you built all winter...nope build scarp it and do another one
Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
The Guru

Anyways whats abuse? You buy a truck so you use it right? You have to put your foot into it once and while? Its not like the truck can't take it. Just do a thorough look over the truck. If theres are any issues, you can usually tell right away with these trucks.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM

I'd love to sell my 2nd gen and get a third gen. I keep adding stuff to it to make it work the best for the way I use it. I look at the add on's to my truck much differently than most. I don't think they actually increase the value at all. I think I would be lucky to find someone who wants my truck for fair market value with the huge list of mods I have on it. I hate when people put stuff on a truck and go to sell it and try to recover all the money they have into it(20k for a 98). It almost never works that way and a lot of times can actually decrease the value. I constantly look at used 3rd gens and if they have or had a bunch of mods done to them I usually stop looking at that point because I would rather do them myself. Eric
Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
The Guru

Theres a few issues with the newer trucks that we don't have with the older trucks. Price out the cost of new injectors? I've heard lots of trucks that have lost engine due to cylinders damage and valve seats dropping out. I know of one 05 truck on my street thats been baby way more than mine and its on its second engine. The #5, #6 cylinders where damaged. New engine from dodge, six months later it had injector issues. To me that stuff makes the second gen VP issues look minor. I've beat on my truck and I'm supprised that its in as good as shape as it is. The engine cylinders are still in good shape and I just put on a new head. Its as good as new and ready for another 5-6 years of abuse from my right foot.

The 12v engine are as almost bullet proof as you can get in a diesel engine. A million plus mile engine, you'll get bored of it before you'll break. The rest of the truck, you'll have to replace a few times...

Quick Reply: Why do some here HIGHLY Mod their truck if they don't intend to keep them??