Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What makes a real man?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
What makes a real man?

Noticed this on the bottom of Madhats posts and then got to wondering just what the rest of you think are the qualities of a real man. I will start it off.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
This is why I love the Marine Corps..they make Men.

- A real man is the spiritual leader of his house and family. Loves God and is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

- A real man is the essence of manhood because, by definition, he has achieved the pinnacle of his role.

- Real men have taken their lumps and learned to defend themselves to succeed.

- A real man respects and honors his wife or girlfriend.

- A real man knows the difference between what's important and what isn't.

- A real man is one that is sensitive and can connect with other people mentally,physically and emotionally too.He should be one that is supportive all the time.

- A real man is not afraid to admit when he is wrong.

- A real man understands the value of work and is financially responsible.

- A real man doesn't put others down with his actions, words or strength. He affirms and builds others up.

- A real man respects and appreciates a young lady's purity and innocence.

- A real man doesn't blame others for his own problems but embraces responsibility.

There is lots more, but that will do for a start. Anybody want to add to the above or maybe even contend what I had just said?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I think you're taking my quote in a different context than it was meant...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by madhat
I think you're taking my quote in a different context than it was meant...
Agreed, I am indeed, but for a purpose.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Ok. Just as long as we are on the same sheet of music.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
- A real man is the spiritual leader of his house and family. Loves God and is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
So your saying I can't be a "Real Man" because I choose not to believe in your religion...Kida like us atheist shouldn't be considered citizens or patriots....
Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
So your saying I can't be a "Real Man" because I choose not to believe in your religion.
Yeah, that does open up a can of worms. Some of the Marines who happen to be Jewish might disagree.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Fellas, this is Stan's opinion. He is not bad mouthing you, he was asking you what you thought.

If you don't agree, then post up what you think a man is in the stead of that context. Maybe, staying steadfast in his beliefs, no matter what they are...

Just keep it respectful. I know we're all red blooded 'Men', but keep it civil.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Biggest thing that makes you a man is not gloating it. My boss is a "real man" and he'll tell you all about it any time he could have done something better, or did something better, or made himself look 10x better than a competitor by being a scumbag. Once in a great while I get to work with him, and in the electrical trade (most trades matter of fact) there is usually at least 2 ways to do things, and at least 2 of those are correct. I laugh my **** off when his unbudgable plans fall through on his face, and my easy way (or anyone else's with common sense) is what gets it done. Have I mentioned I hate my boss?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

get off your tail, go to work, do your job to the best of your ability and try to do it better.
don't whine, sure, you can complain about your boss or job. but you still do it.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
Yeah, that does open up a can of worms. Some of the Marines who happen to be Jewish might disagree.
...or Muslim...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by madhat
Fellas, this is Stan's opinion. He is not bad mouthing you, he was asking you what you thought.
I have a lot of respect for Stan and really like his posts so no disrespect intended.

Growing up, I think for me number seven was the most difficult in becoming a man. To admit that I was wrong about something and really mean it was tough.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
So your saying I can't be a "Real Man" because I choose not to believe in your religion...Kida like us atheist shouldn't be considered citizens or patriots....
Not really. What I said was as I see it. You obviously have a different viewpoint, which is OK too. In posing my question I expect a variety of different answers, all taken from different backgrounds and upbringing. Just thought it would be interesting to read the differences. Of course my opinion and viewpoint is the correct one. Right?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
A Real man in my opinion first recognizes that nobody ever said it was easy to be a man. He understands his position as provider, protector and does WHATEVER he has to do to get the job done.

As an example, being armed is not a luxury but rather a responsibility. It is a mans responsibility to see that his family is protected and in the worst of circumstances that may include having to use lethal force which means he MUST be prepared while hoping for the best.

A real man understands that his simple wants are overruled by his family needs and as such comes last.

I could go on but I think you can see where I am headed.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the comic relief portion of this thread, there was this book:

"Real men don't eat quiche" much of the contents still apply...

Good post 'Stan.