3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Former Chevy Man, Now a Cummins Man - a few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Former Chevy Man, Now a Cummins Man - a few Questions

Well I've been looking to get more towing capacity than my 2003 Silverado SS, Vortec 6.0L, offered (7500 lbs.) to tow an enclosed race trailer & car. I checked out all the big 3 and this site helped a great deal in my final decision. Can't say the wife was happy to see the SS go, seems she really liked it - for me it was fun to drive, but the 14 MPG average empty was miserable. Recently towed a 20" Doall bandsaw home, on an open trailer, from Nashville and saw 10 ~ 11 MPG towing with the SS.

My wife purchased a Charger R/T this year and my father has had a 1992 Dodge pickup for years. I don't know that I'm a Dodge man yet, but definitely a Cummins man!

My 2500 CTD QC Laramie is awesome, the Chevy interior might be a little more plush, but I think Dodge makes better use of the space. The big center console with the captian's chairs in the Chevy wasted the whole center of the cab, no extra passenger and not as much storage as my 2500 with the seat storage. The Extended Cab Chevy felt cramped with 4 adults, I haven't tried it in the Quad Cab yet, but it feels like 4 adults would be completely comfortable and 5/6 doable in a pinch.

I located the truck on the internet over in Winter Haven so I had a chance to put a few miles on the OD on the way back, also had to pickup some appliances and deliver them two counties to the South. When I left the dealer I reset the DIC. On the way back I got stuck in some stop and go traffic due to an accident, then later up the road due to some construction. Kept my foot light on the accelerations and kept her under 70 MPH on 528, she really likes 60 - 65, and she doesn't seem too upset with 68 (where I like to cruise). I've turned a little over 250 miles since I reset the DIC and I'm showing 20.9 MPG average.

I'm interested in keeping the mileage as high as possible and that's where my questions begin.

I'm going to install a retractable cover on the bed and some nerf bars, that should be the extent of the external mods. Tires are going to stay stock.

Is the bed cover worth any MPG?

Should I do the Rokktech sensor or tone ring mod?

I'm going to run PSD additive for my first fill up, but switch to FPPF per Kennedy Diesel as soon as I get the chance to order some. Any MPG gain here?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old 12-18-2005, 06:25 PM

Welcome to the board. I think you will find it a very useful tool. First off I wish I got that kind of mileage, might want to check by hand when you fill up. If you like doing stuff yourself I would say go for the tone ring mod. If you aren't trying to save your pennies then I have heard a lot of good things about the Rokteck.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on your new truck and welcome to DTR!!

As long as you keep your RPMs under 2000 you should post some decent mileage figures. Sounds like you are doing good if you are over 20. But hand calculate to make sure.

I did the Rokktech sensor on mine. It did seem to add some low end torque, but i doubt it improved my mileage much. Problem for me is, I like to cruise a little faster than I should....so my mileage suffers. I also weigh over 8000lbs. But cruising at 75 mph, I seem to get around 15.5 to 16.

I doubt the bed cover is going to help your mileage significantly. I wouldn't get it for that reason alone, but if you like them and want it..go for it. Shouldn't hurt.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:29 AM

I would do the tone ring mod. Its free. My last 2 tanks were 19.8MPG and 15.3 empty. for the first tank (998 miles was 50 gallons, full tank plus 13.001 gallons added to get home with an empty tank to do the tank vent mod) 2/3 were driving 55-65 with the rest being 75MPH. The last tank (100 miles before being topped off) was intown stop an go with no trip over 10 miles. Hard on the truck but had to be done. While you are doing the cheap mods I would highly suggest the gas tank fuel vent mod. Best $40 bucks I have spent on the truck as it fills up till the last gallon before the pump shuts off.
If you are interested I will post ya some 75MPH cruise numbers for a 1200 mile trip in 2 days. I am leaving for TX tonight.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:19 PM

Robert Chilton and Reidry...

Robert,

I am interested in the mod... What do you do? I am forever standing at the pump filling it up... Please info us...

Reidry,

I would tell you not to do the bedcover mod if milage is the big thing for you. I do not think you are going to see that great of increase from that. The fellows on Mythbusters did a test and showed there was no increase for lowering the tailgate down because the wind actually creates a bed cover effect.... Without getting into physics, it really does work... Anyway, a good place to get nerf bars is on ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/truckparts411/Dodge.html

I bought mine from these guys and have been really happy with them. They are very proud of their product if you ever call them and the bars are made from marine grade stainless so there is no rusting.. I am a big fan.. Anyway, let me know if you need any help and congrates on the new rig... I know the feeling...

Jake
Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Robert,

I'm interested in the tank vent mod, where do I get the kit or can someone give a good picture of the parts I need to procure?

Jake,

According to SEMA, Tonneau Covers - SEMA, there is a tangible benefit to the covers in MPG.

Is the hardware included with those bars stainless as well? I was looking on Ebay at the NASTA bars, but those look just as good for a lot less $$$

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 12-19-2005, 09:02 PM

Here is a link to the Vent Mod Kit. I installed it last summer. Very easy to do and works as advertised.

http://www.dodgedieseldatabase.com/david_kelley.htm
Old 12-19-2005, 10:51 PM

so what was the biggest factor with going over duramax to cummins
Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by reidry
Robert,

I'm interested in the tank vent mod, where do I get the kit or can someone give a good picture of the parts I need to procure?

Jake,

According to SEMA, Tonneau Covers - SEMA, there is a tangible benefit to the covers in MPG.

Is the hardware included with those bars stainless as well? I was looking on Ebay at the NASTA bars, but those look just as good for a lot less $$$

Thanks,

Ryan
Hey Ryan,

The hardware is not stainless, but it is painted very well. What are the price of the other bars? I know I paid $229.00 to my door for these stainless bars (I opped for the oval bars). These guys really pride themselves on thier products. There is no weld marks or plastic caps on my bars; just a solid tube of stainless. Really nice. The way i see it, I can either fabricate the hardware down the road if there is any problems or buy a new set for the price of the others on the market, but I know my bars are going to outlive the truck (not the motor, but maybe the truck... LOL)... Anyway, for the buck I think these bars are a great deal. Good luck in your decision...

Jake
Old 12-20-2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by fredw
so what was the biggest factor with going over duramax to cummins
For me three things. First, I didn't want to pay the price Chevrolet is asking for the 2006 LT3 LBZ. Too many $$$.

Second, The Duramax seems to use more fuel than the Cummins. The 2005 LLY's don't seem to make the fuel mileage. The LBZ is better and maybe the 2006 LLYs also, but this difference is partly due to the 5 spd (2005) vs. 6 spd (2006) Allison. Chevrolet is using more OD .61 than Dodge .69 to get their fuel economy up.

Third, Chevrolet can't seem to settle down on their design. The Allison 6 spd is brand new for 2006, at leat several parts including some of the sensors and the extra gear. I didn't want to get in on an experiement.

I have to admit I thought hard about a Chevrolet gasser considering the wide variability reported here and other forums on the CTD mileage. I'm glad I made the decision to switch.

Ryan
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Well I just pulled in a few mintutes ago. 1200 miles and 19.5 hours later the truck averaged just over 17 MPG running between 70 and 75 the entire way. Not great but an increase of 3 tenths over the last time I made the same trip. The previous trip was during the summer months also so fuel may have been better. Not to shabby for the free tone ring mod especially being that biggest effect is below 2000 RPM.
Definatly follow the link about the fuel tank vent mod. This is the way chrysler should have made them from the factory. I can fill the entire tank from E as fast as I could do the top of the tank previously. Less than 5 minutes start to end. Took me about an hour and a half taking my time to install while teaching the other half how the fuel system works. Definatly get the deepest 15mm socket that you can find if your truck is a long bed. That front strap is a pain without it.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:31 PM

thanks for the fair reply, dam price is bugging me to, they offered me a cash deal on a new Lbz (63xxx, sticker price for 54cash) CDN, with fleet pricing involved, but still sounds like a lot

i heard you can buy a cummins full loaded similar to the duramax for 10 grand cheaper, what a **** off
Old 12-20-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chevellePuller
Robert,

I am interested in the mod... What do you do? I am forever standing at the pump filling it up... Please info us...

Reidry,

I would tell you not to do the bedcover mod if milage is the big thing for you. I do not think you are going to see that great of increase from that. The fellows on Mythbusters did a test and showed there was no increase for lowering the tailgate down because the wind actually creates a bed cover effect.... Without getting into physics, it really does work... Anyway, a good place to get nerf bars is on ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/truckparts411/Dodge.html

I bought mine from these guys and have been really happy with them. They are very proud of their product if you ever call them and the bars are made from marine grade stainless so there is no rusting.. I am a big fan.. Anyway, let me know if you need any help and congrates on the new rig... I know the feeling...

Jake
For the record, havng the gate up and having a tonneau cover on are entirely different things.

A tonneau will reduce drag.

In order of best aerodynamics:
- tonneau
- open bed w/ gate up
- open bed w/ gate down
- open bed, gate removed
- large square cap

A tonneau could easily give you 1-1.5mpg
Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM

I tried a tonneu on a previous truck and it added nothing as far as gas milage. The only real benefit was the truck wasnt blown around as bad when a crosswind hit you, such as being up on a bridge.
I dont know what the exchange rate is but $34K US will buy you a really nice SLT truck down here. 1 ton 4x4 6spd with a few minor upgrades. Down here you can get special packages that add things like sliding glass, lockers and tow packages for a grand. I would look around a little then see what kind of deal you can swing. Be totally preparred to walk. This alone will get them to drop the price most of the time. I walked out the front door 4 times when I bought mine and eventually got what I wanted to pay.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 PM

u guys ever seen mythbusters on the discovery channel they tested the tail gate up or down myth, come to find out there's some sort of air circulation thingy that is inherant to pickups, if u upset that i gets worse gas mileage
in all seriousness, i put a quad zxt box and tone ring mod to mine and i picked up a solid 1-1.5 mpg increase. just have to remember the overhead computer isn't that accurate anymore, it shows about 2-2.5 mpg increase.
quad zxt is $289
roktech sensor $70
tone ring free!!
hope this helps alittle

Quick Reply: Former Chevy Man, Now a Cummins Man - a few Questions