Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What dirtbike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What dirtbike?

I would like to buy a used dirt bike. What is the difference between an off road and a motocross bike? I want something fun to trail ride in the Oregon mountains and perhaps get in the sand a few times. I'm thinking 4 stroke electric start. I've never owned a dirt bike before, but I want to get one big enough that I won't want to upgrade in the near future. What years and models of bike would you suggest?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I dont know the real differences. but it looks like off road is more air cooled, simpler, probably geared diffently. the motocross is liquid cooled.
Kawasaki is my source for this info.
they also have a dual purpose. basically a tamed street legal dirt bike.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 PM

The main difference is that an off road bike ussually has a headllight and taillight, and the gearing is a little closer. Both bikes will more than likley be liquid cooled, as for what bike u should get that depends on how much you are willing to spend, how much you weigh, and how much experince you have.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM

If you go with a two stroke, be ready to do ALOT of maintainence. Or just buy a relatively new one. If you go with a four stroke thumper, those are pretty durable and long lasting. Alot less maintainence. Lots of pros and cons to discuss.

Good luck...get a helmet!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM

an offroad bike will be alot tamer. a motocross bike is a wild bike that is meant to race. Motocross bikes are screamers that will throw you off if you are not holding on... I have a motocross bike, but sometimes i just wish i had a nice street and trail bike. Get a Suzuki 650 for a lot of nice grunt and low end torque but still plenty of speed..
Old 03-13-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jj3500
If you go with a two stroke, be ready to do ALOT of maintainence. Or just buy a relatively new one. If you go with a four stroke thumper, those are pretty durable and long lasting. Alot less maintainence. Lots of pros and cons to discuss.

I would have to disagree with that. Only based on a few things. 2 strokes are very simple, mix gas and oil and your set. Not too much you have to do to the engine really. They have good power, and a power band.

now onto the 4 strokes you have 2 models, air cooled such as the Yamaha TTR's which are more trail oriented, air cooled, wider gears, head lights, tail lights, electric start. Then going up you get into the YZ 4 strokes which are more racey. Those are liquid cooled, and are much more maintence then the air cooled 4 strokes. You have to adjust the valves more, run high octaine fuel (12-1 compression) are kick start ect. These bikes will have the most power, be the fastests, ect. So if your looking for the most, the high end YZ's are it (or the CRF's or any brand, just using Yamaha cause I know those). But again, these bikes are made for racing, so they won't have the best trail manners. now the WR is similar to the YZ except that it has a head light and tail light, and wide ratio tranny. meaning the gearing is further apart and can have a higher top speed. These are more trail oriented The YZ has a close ratio tranny for racing, which is what you want.

All these factors are things you need to compare. Air cooled is less maintance then liquied cooled. The YZ's are higher maintnece than the TTR's. It's also about how much you want to spend. The TTR's can be bought brand new for 3-5, and the yz's are around 5-7k. Give us a bit more info and we can help you out more. I've been around bikes a lot (finally sold them due to so many crashes the woman said once she has a kid I can buy another one) Guess she wants my Nuts to be in tact for a while
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM

A lot of it depends on skill. I ride with guys that can make a moped climb a mountain, but they can really ride. Don't let your ego get in the way here, if you are new don't go jumping on a new 450 and think you are going to hang because you have the biggest and baddest bike. Get something that you can comfortably handle and when the time come you can upgrade. I currently ride pretty tight single track in WA and I ride a KTM 450, most of the guys I ride with are also on KTM's. Other than occasional overheating, no problems, and my bike has over 70 hours on it. Be honest with yourself and you will be a lot better off in the end.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 PM

Got the helmet already. My first dirt biking was done on a 2-stroke honda 250 I think. I don't want to start on something underpowered because you can mostly control how wild you get with your right wrist. I don't want to race, just have fun in the hills and trails.

I want a lower maintenance, good value, used 4-stroke with decent power. I was only considering electric start because it can be a pain to kick start on steep grades. I don't have a set budget, I just want the most bike for the least cost.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 PM

I would say an xr or wr would be the best bet for you a cr or yz are ok on trails but it isn't as simple as controlling them with your right wrist a cr 450 can get away from an inexperienced rider in a hurry especially on challenging terrain. and like was stated here earlier be honest with yourself the your average 450 is putting down around 50hp now days thats alot compared to the older 250 2strokes.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:11 AM

I think i would go with the KTM 525. Broad power band, easiest starting fourstroke made (especially with electric start) and a 6 speed in the trail version. I garuntee you won't grow out of it. price might be a little steep though.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
KVD

Yeah an XR might be a good for choice for you but no e-start. I had a XR250 for a while, its what I started racin hare scrambles on. Very easy to work on, went pretty much any where a wanted to go (relly low first gear). It wouldn't light the world on fire but it was a very good steppin stone.

KTMs are very nice, never owned one but a rode a few and they are nice. The only verison i have ever rode is the ex/c which is the off-road version i'd guess would say. Very nice well built bikes. The power is smooth and there is plently of it. I really like there ex/c 2 strokes but the tighten band on emissions I would say go 4 stroke.

WRs are good. The 400s, 426, 450s and can be a bear and the 400s and 426s without the auto decompression can be murder to start if not done right. The 250s are good to, got to kinda rev'em to get um goin but thats pretty much true with any small bore bike. Same thing the early models didn't have the auto decompression and can be hard to start. As far I know you can get the auto decomp cam for 150 bucks from yamaha and make the swap its worth every penny.

I'd say a DRZ400 might fit you the best. Its basically a morden water cooled XR400 with more power and e-start. They are a little heavy and tall but fit a 6 foot person well. They have a pretty good track record its got a enough power to get u up the hill and it's controlable enough you not flipped off the back. They been around since 02 or 03 so there plenty of them. There used to be ton of aftermarket parts for them but a don't know if that has faded in the last few years, I havent really kept up since a went to 4-wheelers.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redpoint5
Got the helmet already. My first dirt biking was done on a 2-stroke honda 250 I think. I don't want to start on something underpowered because you can mostly control how wild you get with your right wrist. I don't want to race, just have fun in the hills and trails.

I want a lower maintenance, good value, used 4-stroke with decent power. I was only considering electric start because it can be a pain to kick start on steep grades. I don't have a set budget, I just want the most bike for the least cost.
I got 99 YZ400 with alot of work done you want?
Old 03-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jj3500

Why would you think a two stroke has more maintenance than a 4 stroke?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
I would have to disagree with that. Only based on a few things. 2 strokes are very simple, mix gas and oil and your set. Not too much you have to do to the engine really. They have good power, and a power band.
I agree... on the maintenance side most 2 stokes today have some sort of power valves on the exhaust side that need some periodic maintenance, but other than that you have a much simpler design with fewer wear parts.

I have always been a 4 stroke guy until a few years ago when I was looking for a new used dirt bike. Todays high reving 4 strokes combined with potential maintenance issues of a used 4 stroke had me taking a serious look at 2 strokes. I settled on a 2000' KTM 300exc, I added a torque pipe and rejetted... and after several trail rides this darn thing climbs like my tractor, I can ride behind my son (crf50) without loading up and maintenance has been a piece of cake!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM

i have a 2000 yz250 two stroke with alot of mods. If your not familer with riding i would not recommend this kind of bike. It was my first bike i got and i learned what eating dirt felt like alot. it is a very powerful bike that lifts the front tire in every gear. First and second will put you on your butt if not carefull with the clutch. But i love riding it, it screams like a rocket and i toast other bikes all the time. The kick start is not a problem once you get used to it. As far as being on steep inclines i try not to stall it on hills. For trail riding you have to learn to clean it out every now and then if you cant get on it. But over all it is a great bike and i love riding it.

Quick Reply: What dirtbike?