Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What a crock!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a crock!

I bought my truck from a private seller last year and I called a dealer to see if they could tell what warranty items were done (mainly concerned with VP) and they said they couldn't give out that info. She said it was the law and the original buyer had to request it and they also had to show proof of registration. I can see where the privacy laws are needed when it comes to medical information but warranty work! Come on, give me a break.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just called the dealer I bought my truck from. They stated that the only information that is confidential is the name, address, phone, etc. pertaining to the previous owner. She says that there is no problem telling me the work that was done, when it was done, etc. They are only obligated to protect the previous owner's personal information. All I needed to supply to them was the last 6 digits of the vehicles VIN.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:12 PM

I guess I will try a different dealer then. Shouldn't warranty info be in a national database? If so I ought to be able to get it from any dealer...right?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:26 PM

Found a dealer that would give up the info and I can't believe what she said.

1) No recalls
2) Only 1 warranty claim-broken power mirror in '02

Now I'm nervous about my VP. It has 145,000 original miles but still going strong. Guess I need to start saving.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamilton71801
Found a dealer that would give up the info and I can't believe what she said.

1) No recalls
2) Only 1 warranty claim-broken power mirror in '02

Now I'm nervous about my VP. It has 145,000 original miles but still going strong. Guess I need to start saving.
I don't know but sounds like you got a good truck. Yeah, the VP situation sucks but if you put a little away each month, you'll be Ok. Seems every year has its challenges but we buy 'em to drive 'em, might as well enjoy it.

BTW, great news a dealer would help out, even if just a little. Just goes to show the variability in dealers.