Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wedding ring/ring appraisal? where would one go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wedding ring/ring appraisal? where would one go?

i was recently given a ring from my mother for christmas as it is that time to pass on a few things that are important to her. my few questions are these:

where can i get an appraisal done at? does it cost money? can i trade it in on another ring and still get the value out of it?

with it being a gift and passed on is this something that i am supposed to keep ..ie not hurt anyones feelings by exchanging it on something else?also..she said it was appraised a few years ago around 2k

thanks for your help
Old 01-06-2006, 12:27 AM

MAN!!!!!!! Your mother gave you a ring for chrismas??? thats some sick stuff right there man!!!, You must be from IOWA or something!!!lol just flippin yah stuff, man, I would guess it was givin to you as a momento, but I would also say its yours now too!!! you do what you feel is necessary. Im not sure what the value of it would be, how old is it???
Old 01-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midwestdually
with it being a gift and passed on is this something that i am supposed to keep ..ie not hurt anyones feelings by exchanging it on something else?also..she said it was appraised a few years ago around 2k

thanks for your help
It's a family heirloom, and therefore, priceless.

Only thing you'd want an appraisal for is the insurance.
You're supposed to keep heirlooms forever and ever and ever, then pass it on to your children, and their children.

phox
Old 01-06-2006, 12:48 AM

old ...she has had it for some time...i think it might be from her engagement like 15 years prior to my former stepfather

tell me a bit more about your georends and price tag thru pm will ya brother!
Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 PM

any other responses?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Keep it. Like phox said, it's a family heirloom and is not meant to be given/sold away. It's something that your mother holds very dear to her heart and wants you to have. Do you really wanna break your mom's heart for a tranny?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:32 PM

it has nothing to do with me wanting a tranny(transmission)

she basically gave it to me to be grateful for the garage that i built her a few months ago (30x40 10' ceilings) i never asked for anything in return because she has done PLENTY of things for me

i basically took it as a "when are you getting married already! ?? maybe this will help get yout butt in gear!

anyways..i will ask her tomorrow since i havent received much help on here

thanks tho
Old 01-06-2006, 11:55 PM

Find a jewelry appraiser in the area. Shoudln't cost more than $50 to have it appraised.

They will appraise it for an insured value. Keep in mind, insured value doesn't mean you can sell it for that price.

For instance, wifes wedding ring from her first marriage appraised at $3000, The few jewelry exchange places I went to would only offer around $6-700 for the ring.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by midwestdually
it has nothing to do with me wanting a tranny(transmission)

she basically gave it to me to be grateful for the garage that i built her a few months ago (30x40 10' ceilings) i never asked for anything in return because she has done PLENTY of things for me

i basically took it as a "when are you getting married already! ?? maybe this will help get yout butt in gear!

anyways..i will ask her tomorrow since i havent received much help on here

thanks tho
I was just clowning around about the tranny thing. It wasn't meant as a personal thing. Sorry it came off that way. I personally wouldn't sell something like that no matter what. She probably didn't mean it as when are you getting married. She probably figured that it was a nice way of repaying you for the work you did for her.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned

Im with Fox & Blue on this one. Definetly something you should hold on to and pass down through generations