Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Vermont gun laws Vs other sates

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vermont gun laws Vs other sates

While surfing the web today, I was looking at state gun laws. I noticed that the state of Vermont allows open or concealed carry by anyone that can legally own a firearm with very few restrictions. I have a question about this. Has there ever been a study concerning the gun crimes in Vermont verses the rest of the US.

This study would need to be on a per capita basis but it would ether give the anti gun community the needed data to verify their claims or give the pro gun folks the data to push for the same in all states.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting?? I know it has helped here in Ok as when the concealed went into effect. I have a close friend whom has given the concealed classes from the start up He is a Federal Marshall. At the beginning of every concealed weapons class he makes the following statement on his own {beliefs} qoute {You are about to register yourself with the Federal Government of the USA that you own firearms, if you want to leave now and not do so, no questions will be asked }} I sometimes wonder if that statement has any bearing?? I do believe in the concealed carry right and I am glad to see that it helps with crime, but a small something about the permit issue leaves a bad taste in my mouth also. Where did you read the above about Vermont and such?? Thanks Rick
Old 11-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Check www.packing.org

One of the best collections of info relating to Concealed Carry Laws on the web .

PS: Alaska is supposed to have the same "carry laws" as VT now.

It IS pretty amazing that the Constitution gives us rights via the 2nd amendment but we have to have our Govt's permission to exercise that right.

Try applying that same scenario to the 1st amendment and see what happens.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Packing .org is where I got the above info. But I know of nowhere that compares gun crime stats for states that have the type of laws that Vermont has compared with the rest of the US .
Old 11-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You might have to try each state's stats and compare.
Or try an E-mail to NRA or GOA, they might have something like that already.

Bear in mind, that stats comparing just crime rates per population is comparing apples to oranges.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vermont is one of the 17 or so states that is listed as legal on my Alabama permit.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:19 PM

Also, Vermont isn't really a big drug lord state, so there shouldn't be as much violent crime there. There isn't very much ethnic diversity there either.

There's something to think about...the states that don't have strict conceal/carry laws are the same states that don't have a lot of violent crime. California is probably one of the worst states for C/C laws. Even if you do have to shoot somebody in self-defense in CA you still have the chance of being found guilty...stupid lawyers/courts.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:19 PM

The trick isn't to verify crime statistics vs carry laws. The trick is to verify crime statistics in those cities/states where they've passed laws restricting ownership of firearms. You'll see in every single case, it didn't make one bit of difference, and in some cases, crime went up.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:38 PM

Let's see now, the blue states in the west go with Mexico and the blue states in the east go with Canada, the rest of us sit back and enjoy....
Old 11-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Banned

We need to go the other way... Canada goes to the United States, and Mexico goes to the United States... Whatever happened to the age of imperialism? I was born in the wrong time period.

I don't know a single person who carries in California. Never looked into it- if you carry out here, everybody would instantly assume you're a criminal. Most people here (including me...) would kill themselves trying to reload a gun...

(I usually just press the "R" button...)
Old 11-22-2004, 12:13 AM

HID you know your state doesn't recognise my CCW from Tenn. but the regulations are more strict in Tenn.? Wonder why that is?
Barry
Old 11-22-2004, 01:32 AM

Probably because Tennessee doesn't recognize the CHL from Alabama. It's one of those "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" things.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:36 AM

Tom, I'd say your right.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Barry Smith
HID you know your state doesn't recognise my CCW from Tenn. but the regulations are more strict in Tenn.? Wonder why that is?
Barry
Better check it again. It is recipical and if we can go in Tenn, it works the other way around also. Last I checked they have an agreement with Tennessee. Even specifies how long the Alabama permit is legal when someone moves up there.

Tennessee was very reluctant to go recipical because of the Alabama structure where the County Sheriff has the full authority to grant a ccw or not. Several states will not accept that.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 AM

I didn't know that. When I got my CCW Alabama wouldn't recognise it. This has been 3 or 4 years ago. I know in that time N.C. will now accept it. So laws change! Except where they really need them NY, CA, DC, .............

Quick Reply: Vermont gun laws Vs other sates