Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Toyota to get the Cummins Rival!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
You mean your mexican made dodge?

Yea, all articles quoting reps from toyota say that the diesel will be built at the san antonio plant. The only reason they'd outsource an engine (would be the first time ever for them) is because they want to release a diesel before their own engine is complete...

Really, all this is speculation until we get an announcement of some sort.
Excuse me. American owned. The majority of the money from the sale of the truck stays right here and supports the US economy. Definitely not true for Toyota. The land that TMMTX (toyota motor manufacturing texas) is sitting on is a free trade zone. Basically it's like being in Japan if you are on their property. If they don't partialy or completely own their suppliers, they beat thier prices down and drive them into the red. When they finally hit rock bottom and are about to go under, toyota buys part of their company for next to nothing. Most any auto supplier that has a name that starts with "T" is partially or completely owned by Toyota.

Also, they are building new Tundras at the Indiana plant, but the current line cannot support the biggest version of the truck.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mtedwards
Excuse me. American owned. The majority of the money from the sale of the truck stays right here and supports the US economy. Definitely not true for Toyota. The land that TMMTX (toyota motor manufacturing texas) is sitting on is a free trade zone. Basically it's like being in Japan if you are on their property. If they don't partialy or completely own their suppliers, they beat thier prices down and drive them into the red. When they finally hit rock bottom and are about to go under, toyota buys part of their company for next to nothing. Most any auto supplier that has a name that starts with "T" is partially or completely owned by Toyota.

Also, they are building new Tundras at the Indiana plant, but the current line cannot support the biggest version of the truck.
American owned ? Daimler is an American company ? Oh , that's right . Daimler doesn't get any money because Chrysler lost $1.6 billion .
Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 PM

The tundra is a mid size truck. I would have to think that if they were going to build a truck with a cat it would be the T-100 or maybe even bigger.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by spunbearing
The tundra is a mid size truck. I would have to think that if they were going to build a truck with a cat it would be the T-100 or maybe even bigger.
What---The T-100???????? The biggest thing that came with was a V6!!!! I dont understand!????
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
What---The T-100???????? The biggest thing that came with was a V6!!!! I dont understand!????
I'm talking about physical size. The T-100 had a larger body hence more room in the engine compartment.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by spunbearing
I'm talking about physical size. The T-100 had a larger body hence more room in the engine compartment.

OH--OK well the new Truck is going to be quite bigger!!! Let's all just wait and see so that I can say I told you all so again. Like I get to do on the V6 and V8 Cummins Motors that DCX will be using in there 1500's, Dakotas, and Durango's !!!!! I Love Being Right!!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 PM

toyota diesel?

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Toyota is a stranger to diesels or would need to outsource. From corresponding with people in Europe or Australia, some of the large Toyota vehicles there (Land Cruisers, etc.) are almost always fitted with torqu-ey Toyota diesels that are also fuel sippers.

Having said that, and having owned some Toyotas, I am not sure I would buy one again any time soon. The truck I owned prior to my current (06) Ram 2500 CTD was a Tacoma Double Cab 4X4. It was a gutless wheezer on hills or with any significant payload, had recalls galore, its rear suspension sagged beyond hope after only moderate weekend work and without having been treated roughly, and its auto transmission was shifting oddly at 60K even though it had been given periodic flushes. It wasn't half as robust as the other Toyota pickup that I'd owned about 10 years earlier. And the MPG on either of those little Toyotas was no better than my CTD! So far my Ram CTD has shown ZERO flaws or glitches -- superior to what either one of those Toyotas had exhibited in the first six months that I owned either of them.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have a Land Cruiser here that has the 3.0 liter. It is a dog. We have a couple more at another site and I think they are 2.8 liters. The 2.8l are way snappier than the 3.0l. Toyota probably makes more diesel engines than gas engines I think. Every country in the world runs toyota diesels except the US, pretty much.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by pybyr
I'm not sure why everyone thinks Toyota is a stranger to diesels or would need to outsource. From corresponding with people in Europe or Australia, some of the large Toyota vehicles there (Land Cruisers, etc.) are almost always fitted with torqu-ey Toyota diesels that are also fuel sippers.

Having said that, and having owned some Toyotas, I am not sure I would buy one again any time soon. The truck I owned prior to my current (06) Ram 2500 CTD was a Tacoma Double Cab 4X4. It was a gutless wheezer on hills or with any significant payload, had recalls galore, its rear suspension sagged beyond hope after only moderate weekend work and without having been treated roughly, and its auto transmission was shifting oddly at 60K even though it had been given periodic flushes. It wasn't half as robust as the other Toyota pickup that I'd owned about 10 years earlier. And the MPG on either of those little Toyotas was no better than my CTD! So far my Ram CTD has shown ZERO flaws or glitches -- superior to what either one of those Toyotas had exhibited in the first six months that I owned either of them.
I personally think that Toyota is getting to big for there pant's!! I really would like to see a big CAT in there for the competetion but I would still keep my Ram! I'm not big on the F150/Tacoma look they are going for!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Oh and I dont think that Toyota is a stranger to the Diesel Power------I just think that for the Heavy Duty 3/4 and 1 Ton Segment in AMERICA they would fair better with a well known American Name under the Hood. The Big 3 all have outsourced engines in there trucks. Why not Toyota?? I really dont think that the American buyers are going to care really. I think that it will help sell the truck!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 AM

Toyota made a mistake not getting the V series Cummins engines before Chrysler did.

Its as simple as that!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mtedwards

I was kidding...did you not see the smiley? People need to stop taking anything I say seriously