Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tires and sizes - 10 Ply Vs. 4 Ply

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires and sizes - 10 Ply Vs. 4 Ply

I just had a very interesting conversation regarding tires for my 2500 03 Quad Cab diesel. I've been reading reviews about various brands, sizes, and tread patterns. I've also seen some great looking rigs on this site @ Hauling & Towing / RV - Pictures of Rigs and Trailers. I had pretty well made up my mind on what I wanted. Then I found this knowledgeable sales person @ my local Costco store.

Anyway.....I proceeded to ask questions about the tires that I had interest in and at some point, the sales person asked what I was going to put the tires on. When I told him what my truck was, his reply was "to many people see a tread pattern or size they like and proceed to buy and install without asking the proper questions reqarding use of the tires and truck" -- "Generally they come back later and say - These tires aren't wearing very well". In most cases, its where a person puts a 4 ply tire on a 10 ply tire application..............2500 Dodge's need 10 ply tires. Well, unfortunately for me the 10 ply's tread don't always look the same as the 4 ply's....so much for picking out a tread pattern I like. The salesperson also said "you can't worry about ride quality of a particular tire when your driving a 3/4 ton diesel..........you better just worry about additional tire noise and the expected mileage of the tire.

As for changing sizes......well, his comments were "If your driving an automatic tranny, the larger sizes mess up shift points + throwing off the speedo" --- "additionally, the sensors on each wheel that control anti-lock braking are also thrown off with tires that are much different than OEM sizes"

Well that's what the sales guy said.........what do you think?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe you found someone at Costco that actually knows what he is talking about.

Yes, everything he said is true and should be followed to the letter.

phox
Old 10-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree with most of those statements.

The load rating on the tire is also a good indicator of the tires ability to handle the larger vehicle weight. Also application of the vehicle is key. I had E rated tires on my truck and they didn't wear very well at all and the ride was very rough. I don't carry alot of weight and tow occasionally.

This last set I got was the D rated BFG ATKO in 265 width. They are rated for higher per tire load than the E rated Yokohama's I ran before and give a better ride for me. I know alot of guys that run D rated tires on their CTD's. I would not however, on a dually application.

I have a hard time with the shift point and ABS comments as the computer doesn't know what road speed you are going. They only monitor output shaft speed, (tire rpm) and react accordingly. The computer systems have NO idea on actual road speed. The difference would be that instead of cruising at 1800 rpm on the highway at 55, you would be down around 1750 or lower. This would appear to change the shift points.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:50 PM

In my case,
10 Ply Vs. 4 Ply= ~40,000 miles

101,000 miles and still going.....
Old 10-14-2005, 04:40 PM

Theres no way you can put a 4 ply tire on a 3/4T diesel. Any tire shop that installs them should lose their business liscense. It doesnt matter if you are towing or hauling or not. Sidewalls can and do blow and tend to take out a LOT of sheetmetal when they do.

Who cares what the tread pattern "'looks like" - its important to get a proper tire for your truck.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:22 PM

10 Ply Vs 4 Ply

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I can't believe you found someone at Costco that actually knows what he is talking about.

Yes, everything he said is true and should be followed to the letter.

phox
OK, I don't get it. You say the Costco tire department is correct & follow the info to the letter, yet you have 35X75X16 BFG's on your rig ???
Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dickyboy`
OK, I don't get it. You say the Costco tire department is correct & follow the info to the letter, yet you have 35X75X16 BFG's on your rig ???
hey man wake up cant you tell when someones being slightly sarcastic?
Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dickyboy`
I wouldn't reccomend D's to anyone with a truck as heavy as ours, but they sure do look purty.

I don't tow anything, especially anything with some weight about it, so I'm riding a bit safer.

As soon as these wear our (or blow out) I'm getting an E rated in the same general size.

phox
Old 10-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Beamwalker
hey man wake up cant you tell when someones being slightly sarcastic?
Actually I wasn't.
Most tire store jockeys just want to sell you 4 tires, they don't know or care about the minimum rating for a specific vehicle.

Its bad enough when someone at a bonified tire store (like Big O, that only does tires) doesn't know anything, but at a wharehouse store like Costco where tires are a very small fraction of what they do you expect them to be oblivious.

phox
Old 10-14-2005, 09:59 PM

Wink

exactly. i dont go ask a carpenter how to erect steel or how to operate a crane. therefore i trust the guys and gals out here with their experiences with these trucks, b4 i ask advance or autozone. pardon me for using the wrong word, facetious{joking or trying to be jocular} may have been a better word to use