Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Thats Plain Stupid

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats Plain Stupid

I posted a thread about low fuel pressure. In that post I stated that my truck had the LP and IP replaced, hours after I bought it. The LP is the new AND improved In tank pump. As I was putting my big line kit on today, I saw something that I had to look at twice just make sure, and my blood boil at the same time. The morons that replaced the Both pumps left the On block LP on the engine with the lines still hooked up. NO WONDER THE FUEL PRESSURE WAS LOW, AND DROP FAST WHEN I HAD TO PUT MY FOOT IN IT. Well I just had to get that off my chest.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

Thats why I don't like other people working on my truck. There are always ways for them to mess up, not that they ment to but they do.

CRIS
Old 12-09-2006, 11:20 PM

I had a young nice 35 year old neighbor about 5 years ago that worked at a big dealership up here. They have about a dozen bays and hoists so no small operation. He said he was the (Master mechanic) down there. Later on I did drive down there to actually see if he was a mechanic and he was and worked there , and was giving orders to the other mechs.
Anyway one day when he came over to my shop to chat ( I'm a home made mechanic myself) and have fairly fully stocked shop. He said, how do you know when the cam shaft isn't turning ? Sheeesk !!, and from a Master mechanic no less) I said there are several ways but one fast way is just to pull the distributer cap off and turn the engine over and see if the rotor turns. I learned that when I kicked the slats out my crib in '41 and anyone knows that.
He went away happy as a clam. Before he moved he used to come over asking many very simple basic mechanical questions that he should have learned a long time ago. I never forgot this and thought, imagine, people pay this guy $70 an hour to work on there car.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:42 PM

Yeah - but how do you tell on an engine with direct ignition and a crank position sensor, which most engines have been since late '80's?

And some of those don't even have a cam position sensor.

And the oil fill and PCV and PCV vent in the valve covers have splash shields so rocker arms or camshafts - sohc, dohc - aren't visible.

Still - it was an odd question, considering valve\piston juncture.................
Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 PM

I guess the old saying, [If your gonna do something, do it right] just doesnt apply to anything nowadays. Anyway the new big line kit works great, not a whole lot more pressure but it stays up in my comfort zone. Now just gotta get a walbro pump, 275 injectors and a chip.