Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tell me about Calgary and Alberta!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about Calgary and Alberta!?

My company may approach me about a managing director position located in Calgary. This would require a move from Virginia with my wife (who is pregnant) and two girls ages 4 and 2. I don't know much about Calgary but the position will require me to set up a sales office in the Calgary area. The main focus of the assignment will be to head up a sales team that will call on large companies that are in the oil sands (Shell Canada, Syncrude, Suncor, etc...). I don't know if I will take the position but I would like to make a more educated decision.

Right now, I live in a very rural area. We have a modest house (2000 sq ft) and about 7 acres. I will probably not be given the option to buy a house in Calgary due to the real estate costs and this will probably only be about a 3 year assignment.

So my questions are:

What is the housing/rental market like in and around Calgary? Will we be able to find a somewhat affordable and roomy enough for 5 rental house?

What is the general cost of living? (relative US city)

Utility, fuel, essential services costs?

How are the schools? (My 4 year old will be starting kindergarten next year)

How about daycare? Hopefully my wife won’t have to work but….

I don't want this to get into a political discussion but my two main hobbies are motorcycle riding/racing and shooting. Are there any restrictions for gun ownership in Canada/Alberta/Calgary for non Canadian citizens or US citizens there on a work visa?

Any other general info would be welcome as well.

Thanks!

And most important, will I have somewhere to park my truck and 20ft enclosed trailer?!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

You will find Calgary will cost you more on all parts compared to where you are. Schools are good.
You want to buy some winter under wear it will be cooler there then where you are. To the west of Calgary is some very beautiful country (mountains). Some of the largest trout I have ever seen have come from the Bow river in and south of Calgary. In the winter you will get to enjoy Chinooks, ( warming of the air). Last time I was there it was a busy place.
As far as gun owner ship, "no guns for you". Your assignment will most likely be over before you get the paper work done for a gun. All in all it is great place, hope you and your family enjoy your stay.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

FWIW, I spent a few weeks over the summer at the oil sands; Fort Mac is a very interesting boom town to say the least. It looks like our company will be working up there during the summer months for the next few years; I havent decided if I am going to go up there or not though. I only spent time at the Calgary airport, but Canada is very much like being in the US from a social/visitor perspective. The dollar is nearly equal now, but I believe they have greater tax rates / GST.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:36 PM

Interested in the no gun issue whats up with that born there is okay but no outsiders
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by Slice
Interested in the no gun issue whats up with that born there is okay but no outsiders
No that was not what I meant at all. Sort of making fun of the soup **** on Kramer. (no soup for you). And just because one is born here does not get them the right to have arms. Here is an example. A friend of mine does not own any guns, but has an FAC firearms acquisition certificate. When it came time to renew this certificate,they wanted to know why he did not own any guns. He told them that he borrowed them when he went hunting. You have to have an FAC to be in possession of a firearm, or to purchase ammo. So because he did not own any guns they took his FAC away. People from other countries do and can posses guns here but there is paper work. Unless you belong to an outlaw gang then it is different. You don't have to do the paper work and you can own any type of gun you want.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM

The Tax in Alberta is 6 cents on a dollar(6%),you might lose a few cents on a dollar becuase the Canadian Dollar is Higher than the US dollar.
Personally, I would prefer to be in Sationed around Edmonton better but the homes and living are slightly more expersive than calgary.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Clayten
You want to buy some winter under wear it will be cooler there then where you are.
Now theres the understatement of the day..........
Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Calgary is a typical boomtown. You will find traffic to much for current infrastructure, labour shortages which mean poor service most places you go, construction everywhere, affordable housing shortages etc. For a house rental, family of 5, your probably looking at around $2000 a month. To purchase, around $400,000 and up. There is definately money to be made here, just be prepared to join the rat race.

If you like your space and don't mind a commute to work, I would look to rent around Bragg Creek, Priddis, Okotoks, Cochrane are all nice areas. You might get a little better value for your money on an out of town rental and IMO a better quality of life.

PS any Calgarians here with a Smarty wanna let me try it out. Will trade for beer!