Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Take care of your tires!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Take care of your tires!!!!!!!!!

I have found it very important to take care of my tires! The weight on the front tires on these trucks with big honkin' diesel engines is enormous. I put a brand new set of BF Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grips on this 2002 when I bought it. I ran them for about 8,000 miles. I left for Tulsa, OK one day knowing the temperature outside was 104 degrees. I checked my tire pressure before I left knowing they would heat up and set the pressure on this load range E tire (85 max mind you) at 65 p.s.i. Needless to say, on the trip home, the tire un-capped and tore the holy, ever-lovin', crap out of my truck. Tires can do more damage at 75 m.p.h. than you think! I managed to avoid hitting another truck and get it shut down and everyone came out ok. Goodyear sent me a check for damages because the tire didn't blow, it just un-capped. Thanks to them for taking care of their customers.

To make a long story short, take time to pay attention to your tires! Everything and everyone in your truck is depending on them!

Pics were just posted in my gallery and should be up soon.

JWB
Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Banned

Hmm. Sounds like you just got a bad tire. Several members, myself included, are running load range D's at 50 psi and are doing great. I'm on my 3rd set of those. We use load range d's on all our trucks and pull 10k or so lbs and have done so for many years. I agree that tire care is extremely important. I'm just saying that it sounds like you got a bad tire. A tire uncapping from pressure just doesn't seem likely. Glad to hear you were ok and no one was hurt. Remember, the truck can be fixed, your life can not.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Banned

10-4. I agree on the bad tire thing. I gross #28,000 with my dodge about twice a year, usually I run about #16,000. I cut, split, haul firewood on the side. 5 chords of oak really pile up on a trailer along side a four-wheeler, a splitter, and another little trailer. I guess that is why I have always used load range E tires. They ride like heck too.

"When all else fails, shoot em in the head."....I like this guy! I just hope he's an Aggie, not a Longhorn!

JWB
Old 02-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend at work had two different Bad Years "un-cap" on him, one damaging the truck and the other nearly causing him to wreck. Of course, good year reimbursed him on both accounts and finally he said what good is reimbursement when my truck is tore up and I may be in a wreck. He said no more and switched tire brands. I took the good years off my car at 30000 miles and put on Michelins and the Jeep I just bought with 17000 miles on it has good years and they are bumping and knocking already. They will be departing real soon. I ran the first set of Michelins on my truck for 75000 miles and that set is still in the shed for back ups to the GN trailer. The second set, I ran for 80000 miles and they were still flat across the tread. I run 70 in the front and 65 in the rear and rotate about every 9000 miles. I pull up to 26000 on ocassion on a 30 foot GN trailer too. Personally, I would not put good years on my riding mower but that's just me.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I had a couple of Firestones disintegrate on me and one tore hell out of my left front fender. The other one developed a bump so I put the spare on. It continued to come apart and eventually the entire tread just fell off! The tire wasn't even on the ground at that time. I took them back and they gave me 2 new Brigestones for free, Mounting and all. This was back when they were having all the lawsuits from tires blowing up and killing people on hot roads.

Edwin
Old 02-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Again, Goodyear came through and helped. Good company who stands behind their product.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:33 AM

what good is standing behind there product if you are on the side of the road and had a wreck in the middle of the desert. i have had my fill of goodyears, generals and firestones. they have wore out there welcome at my house.
screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Banned

Ya, I agree. Once they go bad, I switch. I've got Firestone Steeltex E's on my truck right now but they don't have enought grip. They are wearing great and are actually great tires to me. I bought them before I bought 160 acres down a nasty, red clay road. I need to trade them for mudders.

Any of these tires might hold up on a 1500 or mid size truck, I just don't think they are built for large trucks and aren't made to hold up under high pressures and severe heat. I have found some load range G and H tires that are 13 and 15 ply that would last forever, problem is, they only make them in sissy street tread. Can't a man get a mud tire around here? But I'm just an electrical guy, what do I know about tires?!

Can anyone recommend a great tire for my dually that will run a lot of miles and get me through the mud?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:43 AM

I agree, check them tires once in a while !!! I pulled mine up on the alignment rack at work and the guys pointed out this HUGE balloon on the inner sidewall about the size of a small grapefruit !! I had never seen one that big before.

PISTOL
Old 02-17-2005, 09:51 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I'm pretty sure I'm done fussing with goodyears too. Haven't had an issue with the Coopers yet, in 3 years. This truck isn't driven as frequently, but it gets worked harder.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 AM

Can anyone recommend a great tire for my dually that will run a lot of miles and get me through the mud? [/B][/QUOTE

I run BFG AT KO's on all my street 4wd's. I run 235/85/16 on my dually, have over 60,000 miles with 4 /32 still showing. BFG also make mud tires in that size, should see 50k with them.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by 4x4dually
Can anyone recommend a great tire for my dually that will run a lot of miles and get me through the mud?
My son put six Coopers on his truck. Excellent in the (axle deep) mud and quiet on the road.
When these stupid good years on my jeep get on my nerves enough, which wont be long, I'm putting the same tread from Cooper on the jeep.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:22 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I plow with the coopers. The AT's bite pretty good and have been put to the test weight wise. Just wish I would've went with a little bigger than 235's.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 AM

I've got a tire problem with my dually. When I bought it the inside tire on the drivers side was flat and bad. I replaced it and in a few months the new tire had a wear spot on it and was soon flat. The other 3 in the back have shown no wear in over a year. So I move the tire that was on the outside to the inside and put a different one on the outside. Now the one on the inside is showing the same kind of wear that the other two had. Any ideas? I know the shocks are bad and are getting replaced soon. Id does shake a lil going at highway speeds but not as much as it did.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Make sure you don't have a loose axle bearing.

Quick Reply: Take care of your tires!!!!!!!!!