Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Take care of your tires!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1st gen Hobie
So if I jack up the rear and try to move tires up and down. If they wiggle it's bad right? How hard is it to take the axle out and check?
There may be a very small amount of movement, like 0.010 or less. If there is more than that, the axle nut may have backed off or the bearings are worn.
It is not hard to get the axles out, just run the nuts (or bolts) out at the end of the axle and gently slide the axle out. You may want to jack one side of the truck up (the side you are removing) to keep from losing so much gear oil. The drum and axle housing are now as free as they will get without removing the bearings. Some of the older axles have those goofy little wedges, that were so brilliantly designed, that will back out and let the axles nuts back off some. You may want to have two new axle gaskets ready to go back together if you don't find any looseness.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of taking care of your tires, I had the tread separate on me yesterday on the work van. I was doing about 65 when it happened. Scared the dickens out of me. Luckily, the belts stayed together and I could nurse it over to the side of the road. It put scuff marks on the side of the van, crushed the exhaust, and bent the quarter panel up. I was lucky that I didn't flip the van or that the guy riding the motorcycle behind me didn't get hit with the tread. The tires were load range E Firestones.