Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Speeding troopers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Agreed..........

This whole thread is remindidng me of a disertation I once read entitled "Of Sheep and Sheepdogs"....
I think it must be the bleating ....
Chris, did the Colonel know what he was speaking about or what!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Not here. That's probably one thing that would get us disciplined... I've never even heard of anybody needing to be reminded. Most even try to buckle when back in the car writing a ticket in case you get schmucked.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LOGAN
i lost respect for cops the day they told me it was my problem if i was shot in my own home by a poacher. i dont care what anyone else says, what if your wife or kid walked outside and was shot between the eyes and they cops said oh well its not their problem..............how far would that go with you.
Heh, sorry man... But if you are having problems you should probably be the first line of defense.

And yeah, it's not that cops "problem" if a poacher accdently kills you, your wife, or your kid. Only problem he'll have is coming to do the chalk line.

Be a man, buy a gun, shoot back. If your state doesn't adhear to the second amendment then you need to quickly vote them out.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Delectric
well, my wife being one herself I can tell you that they get a pace on speeders and check the speed at which they are going this way. Also, if you want to catch a speeder then you have to be one, that is if you are cruising the highway and not parked on an overpass. Be thankful they are out there. They are good people doing a tough job. I can't even tell how many funerals my wife has attended of fallen officers. I can also tell you that the Highway Patrol has the toughest standards in law enforcement, no donut eating chubbies. If your a trucker who dislikes them, well I spent 11 years in the trucking industry and I am glad they give tickets out to those who feel they can get away with shoddy maintenance, speeding, drugs and alcohol all while driving an 80,000lb rig down the road. Next time you get ticked off becuase they speed past you remember, thats their job. Now, let me vent on that same line. It really ticks me off when people (Liberals) critisize me for driving a big 4 door, 4x4 diesel truck and speed by me at 90 mph in their Subaru, Prius or other so called economy car wasting fuel trying to get to the ski slopes as fast as they can. Hypocrites!
Here we go with the druncken , high , truck drivers speeding along in 80,000 lb. rigs . Tell me how many truckers your wife has nailed on drug or alcohol charges ? How many rigs has she stopped grossing 80,000 lbs. ? The max legal gvw is 80,00lbs . but axle weights are also limited , usually to 12,000 lbs. on the front axle and 34,000 lbs. on each tandem . It's just about impossible to distribute that weight exactly to gross 80,000 lbs . Then consider losing weight as fuel is burned . The OP had a valid point . Taxpayers have a right to gripe about cops getting 5 mpg running flatout on nonemergency runs .
Old 07-22-2007, 11:32 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Regarding my earlier comment in the thread, I am a firm believer in questioning "Authority".

NOT as a means of getting around the law, but as a means of keeping things in check.

See ~ Mike Nifong.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
I've refrained from posting in this thread because I don't want to offend anyone, (yeahI know, 'that's a switch'!), but Don brings up some excellent points that should be listened to with an open mind!

Now with that said, let me add something if I may. I was a police officer for quite a few years before I decided to switch my priorities and concentrate more on the fire side of public service. If I'd had exposure to the more professional people in law enforcement, such as I've seen here in the Michigan S.P., I might have stayed with it instead of making the switch. What I'm saying is that I think there is a vast difference in the way ALL law enforcement personnel may present themselves from different parts of the country. In Mass, (where I was an officer), a LOT of the officers act like Logan or MCMLV have related to us. On my department alone, I can think of at least 8 officers who will get in the left lane and put the pedal to the floor to go get a coffee, just because 'they can'. They seem to have a feeling of superiority over the rest of the general public. When I was working with these individuals, I always tried to dissuade this behavior. Because I was almost always senior to them, I was able to curtail that activity while I was with them, but I'd see them continuing it when they didn't think I was around or looking. Discussions with the Chief resulted in no action other than a gentle 'talking to', so as not to 'break their spirit'.

This is a pretty common problem in the area of the country that I come from. And not just from one agency or department either. It's multi-statewide. Until I came out here to Michigan, I was pretty much under the assumption that this is the way law enforcement personnel conducted business. Now that I've broadened my vision a bit and have seen that this is NOT the way it is everywhere, I find myself regretting that I didn't get out a bit more in my younger days and find out what REAL law enforcement agencies were like. If I had done that, it very well might have become my career.

So I guess the point of my rambling here is to say that not ALL LEO's are in the same group, and there ARE a lot of good officers out there. It's just hard to tell who is who sometimes unfortunately.

chaikwa.
This is the most sensible post I have seen so far on this issue.

Guys, LEO's ( and any other Emergency vehicle operator for that matter ) aren't any different than the rest of us, they just are charged with doing a specific set of tasks to the best of their ability. There are drunks, saints, genuine heroes, and lazy sots amongst them the same as among us.

The most professional I have run across are with the State, where they take a very, very dim view of shenanigans, the worst small town LEOS.

How about we all attempt to follow the law to the best of our abilities, and then we can interface with them much less..............And hope when we have to deal with those who aren't up to snuff we can get the situation resolved in a reasonable fashion.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

I don't have a problem with them speeding since most are trained to drive way better then I still do after driving for thirty some years. I assume they have a reason for doing it, don't know, and don't ask. And I sure do not envy their jobs and do not want to do it for them for what they make or any amount of money. I'll take my chances at the nuke station for 30 years. At least here, I am literally surrounded by officers carrying hand guns and M16's.

What I do hate, and I've sat at the intersection in Wavery many a time and seen this, is when they turn on the blue lights to bypass traffic at the light, stop everybody else, and then turn the lights off when they get through the intersection.

As far as passing them on the road, if they are not doing the speed limit and there are no limiting conditions (weather, etc), I will go around with no problem or hesitation at all. Done that many a time without even a glance from them. The bottom line, whether you believe it or not, is that they (the police) do have your safety in mind (I know, sounds funny coming from me). If you don't do anything outside the rule book, they won't need to talk to you. I had a Pa state trooper stop behind me on the Pa turnpike one day and help me look for a toll ticket that had blown out the window. He looked and walked with me for about 20 minutes, we didn't find it, but he didn't have to do that.

There are some out there that may be a little overzealous (or however you spell it) but I think the most are honest people trying to make a living and help you out. The next time you see one speeding, think about who he/she may be going to help out before making a decision. If you still believe they are acting in a wreckless fashion, then pull over and make the call.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Here we go with the druncken , high , truck drivers speeding along in 80,000 lb. rigs . Tell me how many truckers your wife has nailed on drug or alcohol charges ? How many rigs has she stopped grossing 80,000 lbs. ? The max legal gvw is 80,00lbs . but axle weights are also limited , usually to 12,000 lbs. on the front axle and 34,000 lbs. on each tandem . It's just about impossible to distribute that weight exactly to gross 80,000 lbs . Then consider losing weight as fuel is burned . The OP had a valid point . Taxpayers have a right to gripe about cops getting 5 mpg running flatout on nonemergency runs .
I personally have seen many, many violations inside the trucking industry and if you don't think they exist you don't know trucking companies. My wife isn't a commercial officer (they drive the pick-ups with scales etc.). She is a regular patrol officer. I find truckers have the biggest beef with LE and up until about 10-15 years or so ago poorly maintained trucks, drivers under the influence etc. were much more common than you might think. Fortunately LE has cracked down on offenders and companies that don't feel safety should be a priority. I understand it's getting harder to make a buck as a truck driver but don't cut corners that endanger my or my families life. Do you know that there are some in government and elsewhere I'm sure that want to give out class A licenses to 18 year old kids. 21 is dangerous enough. Then there are all the foreign drivers (no, I'm not racist, just concerned) driving big rigs down the road. Lets just say it's not 80,000 lbs but 65,000 lbs, your dodge truck will look the same regardless after it's been run over by the lighter of the two. So as others have said, take responsibility for your own actions, don't blame others and if you have bad cops in your area there are things that can be done to bring them to justice. It means it needs to be valid and you have to actually do something about it, not just complain. like they say, until you've walked a mile in their shoes.....
Old 07-22-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Let's just remember that these guys are doing a good job and when YOU really need one you won't want him driving the speed limit. Let's give 'em a brake on this one...no pun intended.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
I

What I do hate, and I've sat at the intersection in Wavery many a time and seen this, is when they turn on the blue lights to bypass traffic at the light, stop everybody else, and then turn the lights off when they get through the intersection.
When I was still in law enforcement, I had to do it to many times to count to get to a domestic dispute, home break in, armed robbery, etc., in a timely manner. Thus the speeding as well.

Think about it, if your home was getting broken into and LE was called by your neighbor, would you really want that "individual" to get an advertisement that you're coming?

Why not send a written announcement.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LOGAN
i lost respect for cops the day they told me it was my problem if i was shot in my own home by a poacher. i dont care what anyone else says, what if your wife or kid walked outside and was shot between the eyes and they cops said oh well its not their problem..............how far would that go with you.
A bit off topic - There's a book about that called "Dial 911 and Die." It's a real eye-opener for anyone who thinks the police HAVE to protect you. They are good guys who do what they can, but they have no legal obligation to protect you unless they have specifically promised you special protection. Thankfully we still have the right to self protection in most parts of this country.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Thankfully we still have the right to self protection in most parts of this country.
Egg heads are causing that to disapprear quickly.

I don't love cops by any means but I 110% agree that the cops, hired and paid by you and I, should not be responsible for someone's safety within reason. Why? Because, I don't want to pay out lawsuits. I also think it is rediculous to ask someone to do the impossible.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
A bit off topic - There's a book about that called "Dial 911 and Die." It's a real eye-opener for anyone who thinks the police HAVE to protect you. They are good guys who do what they can, but they have no legal obligation to protect you unless they have specifically promised you special protection. Thankfully we still have the right to self protection in most parts of this country.
Isn't it amazing how those who try to take away our 2nd amendment rights away have bodyguards who carry guns, live in communities with no crime and get preferential treatment by LE. If you want crime to go down, arm the law abiding citizens and watch what happens. Here is a sad fact. I used to have a CCW permit and let it lapse a year ago. The last class I had to get it renewed (every 2 years) was taught by a prosecuting attorney (excellent class). In california anyway, if you shoot someone in self defense you will probably lose your gun (at first anyway), be taken to jail (temporarily anyway) and be sued by the scumbags family. Like the Attorney said though, at least your still alive.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not going to assume that every cop speeding without his lights on is up to some live-saving and important work. Cops are drawn from the same human gene pool as the rest of us. Some of them are excellent at their job and considerate of the public they serve, and some are just ignorant yahoos who are in the job for a power trip.

And there are plenty of the latter speeding around and flouting the law simply because they can get away with it. That ticks people off and rightly so. Ignorant yahoos who break the law for fun should not be immune just because they happen to be cops.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Festus
When I was still in law enforcement, I had to do it to many times to count to get to a domestic dispute, home break in, armed robbery, etc., in a timely manner. Thus the speeding as well.
Think about it, if your home was getting broken into and LE was called by your neighbor, would you really want that "individual" to get an advertisement that you're coming?
Why not send a written announcement.
That's ok if there going somewhere but not to the station house. I watched them pull in. I guess they didn't want to be late for the shift turnover eh?

Quick Reply: Speeding troopers