Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Smart Phone rec's

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Smart Phone rec's

I was going to post this in the Android forum, but since I am also asking about Apple I figured it'd be better answered here.

I currently have an LG nv Touch which turns itself off intermittently after sending a text, I don't use it for web access but am forced to have a $10.00 data plan.

I am due for an upgrade with Verizon, they are changing their plan structure and to keep our plan the same or at least close to the same we need to upgrade our phones so we can be grandfathered in.

If I go to a basic phone I will still have to pay a $10 data plan, if I go with a smartphone it will be $30.00 for 2GB which is way more than I'd ever use. The wife and my sister are unlimited and they are constantly on-line or checking email and both of them average 2GB.

I really don't care for Apple products, my 8GB Nano crashes 2-3 times a year, my Daughter's 32GB iPod touch failed at about 14 months and they wanted 3/4 the price of a new one to repair it.

Should I trust the iPhone 4 or 4s or should I go with a Droid 4, Droid RAZR, or RAZR MAXX?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My friends have 4 iphones and as far as I know they have not had any real issues .we have androids in our house, and the only problem we have had was with one of the charge cords, usb messing up the phone .new cord no issues with any of the androids .we have 2 droid x2, incredables and 1 razr
Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will here good and bad about both. I can only speak in regards to my Iphone 3G. It is my first smart phone and I must confess I am really liking it. I put the otter case on it and it has endured some very harsh treatment, like leaving it on the ground overnight in a rain storm, throwing it on to my tool box and embarrassingly enough punching it because it would not recognize my router. That problem was due to my router being off line, not the phone. I have friends that love the Droid platform and left apple for it, and friends that left droid for apple.

Not sure if I helped you at all, but in closing because of the reliable service and toughness that my Iphone has provided me I will be staying with apple.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Verizon customer also and currently have the Droid Bionic. The web speed and overall power of the phone is incredible. It actually has a dual core processor built in and can be used as a remote computer if needed. I've never had an I-Phone then again never had the reason to change. If you spend all the money on the smart phone make sure you get an Outer Box to go with. Its saved my phone more than once.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM
DTR Detective

I went with the iPhone 4S, Walmart had the 16GB for $148.00 so I couldn't pass it up. No 4G, but 90% of my use is done with Wi-Fi.

I picked it up on Saturday and spent all of Sunday calling my wife over and over using Siri.

In my most serious voice...

Uh-HMM! (Clear throat) Siri, call Sandwich Maker on her Mobile phone.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
iphone 4s with otterbox here aswell, have had it for 2 months and really like it so far.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you like modifying your truck, you will love learning how to flash custom ROMs on a droid. If you like leaving things stock, get an Iphone like the rest of the sheep.

If you get into flashing ROMs it's like getting a new phone every couple of days. I'm running Jellybean (the latest version of android) on a 3 year old phone.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rest of the sheep? Hmm.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a droid razr and the only complaint I've had with it is battery life, otherwise it works perfectly.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Another Droid guy here....no sheep in sight
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is something to be aware of with the iPhone. A big part of Apple's revenue stream for the iPhone product line is accessories - docking stations and the such. The iPhones 1 thru 4 have all had the same interface plug on the bottom of the phone. This means they have all been able to use the same accessories. The iPhones have been around long enough that everyone who wants accessories has bought all of the accessories they want - the market is saturated and people aren't buying new iPhone accessories any more. Apple wants that accessory revenue back so when they release the iPhone5, the interface plug on the phone will be different and it won't work with all of your accessories. I have heard rumors that they will sell an adaptor of some sort to allow limited functionality with older accessories on the iPhone5 but it won't be easy or nice to use.

The reason I mention this (and it isn't just to rant about Apple and revenue) is to suggest that if you are thinking about getting an iPhone it might be a good idea to wait a wee bit for the iPhone5. It would be a shame to buy one of the last iPhone4's and in 18 months be frustrated by the fact that you cannot get accessories for it because everyone is developing for the new interface plug.

Just my 2 cents.

PS - I am curious if anything is going to shake out in the Smartphone world after the $1B ruling against Samsung for Apple patent infringements. Google bought Motorola's Smartphone division a little over a year ago so that Google could start competing in the Smartphone and tablet market. I saw a commercial yesterday for the first Google branded Smartphone that is a result of this purchase. the next couple of years are going to be really interesting in the Smartphone / tablet world.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Whatever happened to just a plain ol' cell phone? You know, you make and receive CALLS on it and that's all. Mine still works just fine. No text, no pics, no email... just phone calls. And no 80 or 100 a month bill either!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Chaikwa - Calgary has a lot of oil company head offices. This means there are lots of execs on the train in the morning heading to work and they mostly have Blackberries (as do I). About 2 years ago there was a half day outage to the Blackberry network across all of North America. It was hilarious to see all of the people on the train with no idea what to do with themselves because their Blackberries weren't working.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM
DTR Detective

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
If you like modifying your truck, you will love learning how to flash custom ROMs on a droid. If you like leaving things stock, get an Iphone like the rest of the sheep.

If you get into flashing ROMs it's like getting a new phone every couple of days. I'm running Jellybean (the latest version of android) on a 3 year old phone.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk 2
Isn't that what Jail-Breaking is for? Bootrom Dump?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Whatever happened to just a plain ol' cell phone? You know, you make and receive CALLS on it and that's all. Mine still works just fine. No text, no pics, no email... just phone calls. And no 80 or 100 a month bill either!
Guess you and I are the only Luddites around here......... I hated it when they wouldn't allow me to keep my old Nokia standard style phone......it had been dropped from ladders, ran over with the truck, you name it, still was one of the clearest phones to use........

4 years ago I had to get this stupid flip phone.........