Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Shop Nuisance....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop Nuisance....

In my shop I have been having trouble with dirt dobbers wasps this year.... maybe it is because of the extra rain that we have been getting here in Texas >>>but I have got mud nests on everything (walls... shelves... rafters... boxes... tanks.... Even on the floor!) and it is really getting on my nerves... does anyone have an effective way of getting rid of them other than a flyswatter?

They are good at getting rid of spiders >> so in that respect it is good.. but here in a few weeks the larva are going to start hatching and I am going to have dead spiders dropping all over the place...

Anyway... this probably isn't the place to post this but figured I would try...

Oilguy
Old 07-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm having the same issue in my garage. Having to pop a bug bomb about every week or so in the garage to keep them under control.

MikeyB
Old 07-21-2007, 11:59 PM

I have a 30x40 shop and the overhead pretty much just stays open... so I know they have free reign... but I have just never had so many before...
I had a shop clean up today and I went around and just knocked the nests down and I had quite a few shovels full of dirt...
I guess that is just another thing about living in Texas... Summer heat and bugs....
All in all... I prefer dirt dobbers to mosquitoes! That is the other thing this rain fall has given us... and I have had a bumper crop!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:37 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OG, try spraying once a week with a Pyrethin/Permectin mix, its a natural oil ( made from Orchids) that generally wont stain your walls( test it first of course)... works great in teh barn on flys and wasps and other creepy/crawlys...
They sell a concentrate at most farm stores for cattle and horses, get teh cattle stuff its a higher concentrate.. tehy also sell "misters' that work on a timer you mount on the wall....
Old 07-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brake clean always worked for me. best if they are on something non-flammable cause a lighter and brake clean works better
Old 07-22-2007, 01:05 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
They have traps for those that kind of work up around here. They are invading more and more each year it seems. put some concentrated lemonade or OJ in the bottom of the Flourescent yellow traps and watch'em fight to get at it. The more you get the less nests you'll see. Kurt
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Try what Chris said or a even better product is called Tempo SC Ultra and its a concentrate also and it runs about 45-50 bucks for the stuff but you can make four gallons of spray out of it. You use 16oz to a gallon of water and it will kill every thing from flys mosquitoes wasp crawly bugs and winged bugs. It has a 20-30 day residual on it some even say longer depending on the infestation. You can spray this stuff every were they use it allot in diners and food handling places so you can use it in your house or kitchen or your shop. Once its dry its totally safe for you and your kid an pets.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:22 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DC, where ya getting that at? Sounds interesting, have you tryed it in teh barn?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Good ole wasp killer in a can works good. Kills them on contact. But a can is good for only about 3 nests or so.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Good ole wasp killer in a can works good. Kills them on contact. But a can is good for only about 3 nests or so.
3 nests? I get a big ol can from Wally World and it is only good for 1 nest maybe 1 1/2.

Then again I tend to drench the nest's more then needed, I think I just like to watch the foam ingulf everything. And of course when the wasps fall out of the nest I have to spray half a can on them even though they are already dying on the ground.

I don't see to many nests up around our way. I've only sprayed 2 this year.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Try what Chris said or a even better product is called Tempo SC Ultra and its a concentrate also and it runs about 45-50 bucks for the stuff but you can make four gallons of spray out of it. You use 16oz to a gallon of water and it will kill every thing from flys mosquitoes wasp crawly bugs and winged bugs. It has a 20-30 day residual on it some even say longer depending on the infestation. You can spray this stuff every were they use it allot in diners and food handling places so you can use it in your house or kitchen or your shop. Once its dry its totally safe for you and your kid an pets.
Sounds good... where can I get that?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

You can either order it on line I sell it in my store I don't know if any of the local feed stores around your way oil guy would sell it but here is a few links to were you can buy it on line.

http://www.pestcontrolsupplies.com/Tempo.htm

Tempo® SC Ultra

Tempo® SC Ultra Premise spray. Broad-spectrum control of crawling, flying pests, wood infesting on indoor and outdoor surfaces, including in and around livestock premises.
Key Benefits
  • Versatile:
    • Registered for use in and around livestock buildings, including dairy barns, poultry houses, swine houses, milking parlors, hospital pens, clinics, chutes and horse stables.
  • Cyfluthrin:
    • Stabilized pyrethroid insecticide.
    • Acts on both contact and ingestion.
    • Fourth generation pyrethroid.
    • Controls insects resistant to organophosphate and carbamate.
  • More effective:
    • Highly effective at lower rates than other insecticides.
    • 4–6 times more effective than third generation pyrethoid insecticide.
  • Fast acting:
    • Works primarily as a contact insecticide with good activity through ingestion.
    • EPA-registered for both food and non-food handling areas.
  • More:
    • Fast knockdown with residual control of up to four weeks.
    • Not a cholinesterase inhibitor.
    • Cost effective.
    • Economically priced.
    • Food-handling clearances reduce inventory; just one product for both food and non-food areas.
    • Contains 1 lb. beta-cyfluthrin per gallon of suspension-concentrate.
    • Packaged in a 240 mL tip-and-pour plastic bottle.
    • Mixed at the 16mL/1,000 square foot rate will produce a quicker knockdown and/or longer residual activity.
    • Delivers the power of a powder in a liquid suspension-concentrate formulation.
    • Twice the activity of cyfluthrin with the same results and half the visible residue.
    • Allows for more even disbursement during application
Old 07-23-2007, 04:52 PM

I used to shoot wasp nests with my paintball gun.

Lots of fun, and make sure you get water soluable ammo.

Have fun shootin!