Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Remving road tar ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remving road tar ...

I was travelling down a dirt road this morning and hit a patch of chip and tar that must have been done that morning. There was no road signs or anything, it was done in front of one house only. I now have tar splatter down both sides of the truck and I can't get it off, trying some cheap bug and tar remover worked some but there's too much.

Anyone have any good solutions??

Anyone every get compensation from the local township for such crap??
Old 09-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WD-40
Old 09-01-2005, 09:36 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

if something needs to stay, you use duct tape
if something needs to move, you use WD-40.

Plain, simple rules of life.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:40 PM

sorry but you won't get compensation from the engineers/road crew office. i work for the engineers office and we get complaints ALL THE TIME about road paint, black top, etc etc... today we were out painting and some woman drove her new bmw through wet paint and called and complained... we just laugh, work has to get done...

i guess i shouldn't say you won't get compensation, it may differ from where you live but doubt it...
good luck but yea use WD-40...
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 PM

I've used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover before. Works great, just follow the instructions.

~Rob
Old 09-02-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotdram
I've used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover before. Works great, just follow the instructions.

~Rob
Same here, about five cans of it after one visit to the dump after they had just oiled their road. And lots of elbow grease.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Berak
I was travelling down a dirt road this morning and hit a patch of chip and tar that must have been done that morning. There was no road signs or anything, it was done in front of one house only. I now have tar splatter down both sides of the truck and I can't get it off, trying some cheap bug and tar remover worked some but there's too much.

Anyone have any good solutions??

Anyone every get compensation from the local township for such crap??
Anyone use good ol gasoline?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
IMHO I wouldn't use gas because whatever you use will get all over you and gas hangs in ther for the long haul. If WD40 is fast enough and you are not afraid to reapply the wax, which you probably will do anyway,try acetone. Try it first some where that is not noticable to see what it is going to do to yyour paint. Use proper gloves. It will remove all the oil from your skin. Only use it in a well ventallated area, preferably outside FAR away from any ignition source. I have used it with great success removing glue from the top of the bed where the velcro was attached and it did not remove the paint. But the wax..........
Old 09-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

Straight butyl is the best degreaser/emulsifier, but you may not be able to get your hands on it. I had one of our chemical manufacturers supply us with a 55 gallon drum a couple years ago and I still have 7/8 of that drum. It is also great at removing the soot off of bumpers and lower rear of the bed.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Try some diesel! Spray it on or soak some rags and start wipin'.
WD-40 works but sometimes I run out and plain-ol' diesel works fine as long as it hasn't been on there for 3 years.
K.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:10 PM

AVON Skin So Soft...

Avon Skin So Soft works great just don't let your wife catch you using it..it's a little pricey, but in a pinch it works great. Doesn't take much, just put a small amount on a soft clean cloth and dab it onto the heavy spots first, then wipe down al the other areas, wait about 5 mintues and start rubbing it off. Leaves a nice shine and won't take off the wax. good luck.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:21 PM

I use diesel. My dad used to haul paving asphalt many many years ago. Thats what we used to clean the inside of his end dump trailer. It worked good then and works good now.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by MOAGGIE
Avon Skin So Soft works great just don't let your wife catch you using it..it's a little pricey, but in a pinch it works great. Doesn't take much, just put a small amount on a soft clean cloth and dab it onto the heavy spots first, then wipe down al the other areas, wait about 5 mintues and start rubbing it off. Leaves a nice shine and won't take off the wax. good luck.
How do you know that??
I mean what possessed you to try Skin So Soft in the first place? Was it a stroke of genious or shear insanity? Of all the chemicals in my garage (and Skin So Soft isn't one of them), I never would have thought to try that.

Curious,
~Rob
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by krock
I use diesel. My dad used to haul paving asphalt many many years ago. Thats what we used to clean the inside of his end dump trailer. It worked good then and works good now.
$3.10 a gal
Old 09-03-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotdram
How do you know that??
I mean what possessed you to try Skin So Soft in the first place? Was it a stroke of genious or shear insanity? Of all the chemicals in my garage (and Skin So Soft isn't one of them), I never would have thought to try that.

Curious,
~Rob
Wild guess, he probably had it for bug protection. I've never used it, but a lot of people swear by it as an excellent bug repellent. If it will repel chiggers, maybe I should get some.

Quick Reply: Remving road tar ...