Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Questionable ads in my Diesel Mag

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questionable ads in my Diesel Mag

Just opened my recent issue of my diesel magazine. Got to the advert portion in the rear and I find XXX solicitation! My kid (5 yrs) reads these! What in the world? I couldnt believe what I saw. Im done with this publication. Useless and inapropriate for the magazine. Im sad to say they lost a 5 year subscriber.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 PM

thats pretty absurd!! i'm glad you dropped you subscription as i would have done the same. which mag was it?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've seen it. I was wondering what was up. That's pretty crappy for a diesel mag.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 PM

They also have ads for male enhancement pills. I thought it was a little crazy my self but I guess they are making money someway or another.

I 'm sure your kid seen the ad for Americantrucks.com right after page 33 w/ the lady in the skimpy bikini. That ad has been around for a long time in Diesel Power. It's not promoting a XXX video but they are darn near hand in hand.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 AM

I agree that I was a little turned off when I saw the ads in my issue. I dont have any kids reading my mags, but I would just choose to tear the page out as opposed to canceling my subs. to a great publication.

I also dont like the ads of girls in skimpy outfits, but again I dont have little ones and they can see that at the mall outside Victorias Seceret or Abercrombie. Too bad though, america's moral compass has been pointing south for a long time.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM

I remember many years ago when me and some friends would go to Chryslers at Carlisle each summer. One time we were walking through the place and amidst all the car parts vendors was a guy selling Playboy magazines. One of my friends absolutely laid into him about how it had nothing to do with cars. The guy didn't know what to say.
We all laughed and made our way to the booth where the Budweiser girls were to get our pictures taken with them (For charity) and then we headed for the Bikini contest...... LOL
Seriously though, even though that stuff really happened, I don't have a problem with the scantily clad women in the ads. But ****, now that goes over the line. Performance auto suppliers have been using women in bikinis for a long, long time. I doubt it will ever go away....
Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM

When I saw that add. The first thing I thought of was, what
does this have to do with Diesels.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cmac
thats pretty absurd!! i'm glad you dropped you subscription as i would have done the same. which mag was it?
DieselPower...getting ready to place my order now...

NOT!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM

my sub. ran out a couple months ago. guess that was before that issue came out
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM

I have the same issue with the car mags... My son get's car and drive I think it is and as soon as we get it , I pull out the male enhancement ads and such...

sometimes have to copy a legitimate page as the opposite side is filled with questionable stuff...

guess $ is more important than morals..

Bryan
Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

What mag was it? I want to subscribe.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Well guys for some people it truly is all about the mighty dollar.

Here I have refused advertising dollars from Company's that I know are dishonest or unable to conform to the simple forum rules even though I end up poorer for it in the end.

A man has to decide whether he is willing to sell his integrity for a few advertising dollars, I found that decision an easy one to turn down
Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the big deal with women in bathing attire? It kind of goes back the the radio thing, if you don't like it-------Change the station, turn the page, buy another mag...whatever

Hey I know, ask the government to regulate it!! That's worked really well up to this point in time!

We need to be our own regulators, what offends me might not offend you or vise versa. People need to get some tough skin and do what is right for them.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM

bikins arent the big issue... its them running ads for ****. kids do read these mag's too.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Well guys for some people it truly is all about the mighty dollar.

Here I have refused advertising dollars from Company's that I know are dishonest or unable to conform to the simple forum rules even though I end up poorer for it in the end.

A man has to decide whether he is willing to sell his integrity for a few advertising dollars, I found that decision an easy one to turn down
...and that is why I enjoy DTR so much. I can recommend it to all my friends and family and not worry what they will see. My boys love reading the threads and, again, it's a blessing not a worry.

Thanks, Larry, for taking the difficult, but high, road. I and many others really appreciate it. Jim.