Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

PT Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PT Cruiser

Need advice about replacing broken wheel studs. My son's 2007 PT Cruiser needed the wheels rotated. While taking the front wheel off, two studs broke off. It looks like one of the studs may have been replaced by the previous owner.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Once in a while, the threads seem to become galled in the nut, and seize to the stud when tightened. It can be blamed on improper installation and torquing, or maybe simply dirt and grit on the threads. On a newer vehicle like that, I always limit replacement to the ones that break. I see no reason to replace them all just because one breaks. Give the rest a visual inspection, make sure the threads don't look galled and the studs don't look twisted or necked. Replace any nut that doesn't thread on and off smoothly and easily. Always use a torque wrench to do the final tighten when installing wheels.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 PM

The other three look ok, nuts thread on easily. Figured on just replacing the two bad.
Found this on another site:
part # 6506730AA
1.Take off the wheel
2.Remove the bolts from the back of the caliper, then remove the caliper.
3.Remove the other two bolts holding the brakes in place, remove the brake pads.
4.There is a groove on the studs that allow you to set it in place thru the back. Thats w/out removing anything else.
5.Gently hammer the old stud out, aligned where there is gap on the rear hub. This makes it so you dont have to remove anything further.
6.Set the stud on the back, now I used washers half way up to the stud, then hand tightened the lug nut. I then used an air gun to tighten the lug nut until the stud came into place.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should be exactly what you need to do.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Got 'er done.

part # 6506730AA

1.Take off the wheel....(lug nuts 19mm)
2.Remove the bolts from the back of the caliper (12mm), then remove the caliper.
3.Remove the other two bolts holding the brakes in place(18mm), remove the brake pads.
4.There is a groove on the studs that allow you to set it in place thru the back. Thats w/out removing anything else. (You will have to put the transmission in neutral in order to spin the rotor)
5.Gently hammer the old stud out, aligned where there is gap on the rear hub. This makes it so you dont have to remove anything further. (I used two hammers, a ball peen hammer placed on the stud and another to tap the first one)
6.Set the stud on the back, now I used washers half way up to the stud, then hand tightened the lug nut. I then used an air gun to tighten the lug nut until the stud came into place.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I grease all my lug nuts on my DD civic... I have to pull the hub bearing to replace my studs = no fun.