Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My wife hit a chevy truck with our PT Cruiser head on

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife hit a chevy truck with our PT Cruiser head on

Wife hit a chevy pickup head on when truck run stop sign. Both air bags went off --she was wearing seat belt and walked away with a few bruises .
Now the fun begins. it was a 2001 (it is totaled) with 123000 miles on it. Most everyone who seen it before the accident thought it was new . It was as clean as new without exagerating.
Haven't had insurance adjuster look at it yet but am in fear that with the 123000 they will try and screw us over. I would not have taken less than 8500 for it before the accident.
hope to get enough to replace it with one at least as nice. What should i expect ?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:34 PM
DTR question asker

Well the main thing is is that your wife is OK and was smart enough to be wearing her seat belt.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Herb. Glad the your wife is ok. Time to get her a CTD!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look it up on NADA... Retail value.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Wife is fine, she is always harping on me about wearing seat belts. No choice in the replacement, has to be another PT. Probably the most durable problem free car i have ever owned.

do they use dealer retail or ?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

They'll probably take off 1500 or so because of the miles..

Look at the high end of retail price whatever it is called... Then add tax, title and license. Then subtract your deductable if it's going on your insurance.

If the other guy is at fault you might be able to get a little more if you argue with them enough, but I wouldn't expect much more unless you really want to fight it. Seems like a pretty standard car and the values are pretty well set.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:57 PM

the driver of the truck got ticketed---ran the stop sign. been searching for replacement and it appears i am looking at 8000-9500 for replacement.
Most likley will be getting into my pocket to replace it. took front clip but have 4 brand new tires transmission and engine that i think are salvagable. also audio system and all the interior. be nice to keep for a parts car.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Hold out and be stubborn, if you can't get nothing out of the insurance guy assigned to you ask to talk to his manager. My first car was a 95 Chevy Luminia with 51,000 on it, totaled by some idiot that ran his red light while I was coming home from school, I was test driving my 99 at the time, glad I didn't drive it that day. They only wanted to give us like 3000 for it we ended up getting 4500 for it.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Banned

Naw, just claim that stuff and raise hell if they don't compensate you. You might be able to get a few grand more. Then buy it back for 15% of what they bought it for.

FWIW, the guy that bought my old truck a couple weeks ago got 11,900 for his 2001 reg cab sport short bed 360 when he wrecked it... It had 112K on it. He bought my 04 for 12 grand with almost the same options except mine being newer, 63K miles, and Hemi. He did quite well with it, he really stepped up to a much nicer truck for $1,100 after paying his deductable.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 PM

i know it's just a song and dance to the insurance people but if they don't want to give me enough to replace it with something of equal value i would just as soon they provide us with a rental car and repair it back to the way it was.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:39 PM

First of all - praise the Lord - your wife is okay after hitting a full-size truck....!

If you're even still concerned about a couple thousand dollars for the car, just treat your insurance rep well and they'll take care of you. Please consider not asking right off the bat "How much are you going to give me?" but instead listen patiently to what they have to say.

And in the past when family members have been in similar places, they usually just cut a check and let us go get whatever new car we wanted. Good luck - but please keep the most important things in perspective.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Let the adjuster do all the talking at the first meeting. Dont agree to anything. take his offer (NOT a done deal) and see what you can buy as a replacement. Then after no luck make him show you how to buy one as nice with that money. Some times they have a way of buying at a better rate. when that fails mention the lawyer. By that time you have worked with them in good faith and tried to do it his way, and the Judge will not see you as a hard head trying to bully.......
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by herb
Wife hit a chevy pickup head on when truck run stop sign. Both air bags went off --she was wearing seat belt and walked away with a few bruises .
Now the fun begins. it was a 2001 (it is totaled) with 123000 miles on it. Most everyone who seen it before the accident thought it was new . It was as clean as new without exagerating.
Haven't had insurance adjuster look at it yet but am in fear that with the 123000 they will try and screw us over. I would not have taken less than 8500 for it before the accident.
hope to get enough to replace it with one at least as nice. What should i expect ?
It's fantastic that your wife APPEARS to have sustained no MAJOR injuries; however, sometimes the shock of a low replacement value can really be a PAIN IN THE NECK.

Sign nothing (especially medical) until you're satisfied with the deal.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad she is okay herb.

Give her a hug from all of us.

That was a close one.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Geico266
Glad she is okay herb.

Give her a hug from all of us.

That was a close one.