Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Opinoins on *Gas* 5.9 V-8 '95 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinoins on *Gas* 5.9 V-8 '95 Ram

I know this is a Diesel forum, I have one, as you can see. The question is related to a truck I'm considering for our chruch, we use a pickup to pull a trailer once a week about 6 miles round-trip to a space we rent for services. The trailer is about 5000# loaded and is quite an overload with the current '96 Tahoe. The idea behind this truck would be to go to a full 3/4 ton and possibly even sell the Tahoe for more than the price of the Dodge.

Due to the fact the truck is used by church members, only once a week, accumlates no miles, and must start in any weather without assist, Diesel and manual units are not being considered. This one is inexpensive and the owner seems to have taken decent care of it, replacing upper and lower ball joinst recently. Any opinoins are welcome.
You can see the truck at:http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...p=y&cardist=23
Old 02-28-2005, 10:30 AM

Forgot to mention that the unit has 160k on it. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's hard to go wrong for that price.

The 360s are known to be gas guzzlers, even for their size. A Chevy 350 will give you about the same power and get better mileage, because the factory tuneup on the 360 is NOT good for mileage.

A 360 CAN be made to get good mileage-- just bump the compression up and change to a small aftermarket cam (around 205 duration @ .050" lift). A quality aftermarket ignition system (MSD's digital 6 comes to mind) will help a lot as well.

These upgrades will pay for themselves in the long run if you provide the labor cheaply

Also, the same tranny considerations apply. Quality aftermarket components (at least a TC) can improve mileage and response by a significant degree.

Sounds like a good deal on a used truck

Justin
Old 02-28-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I personally would be conserned about the 160k. For most gassers that's about 60k over what the engines usually go before problems start cropping up.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I had a 96 that I sold with 140k on the clock and it still ran as good as the day i bought it new. Not to say that things wouldnt have gone wrong in the future but it didnt burn any oil, always started right up. In fact the only thing that ever went wrong with that truck was the evap canister and it was a recall item. Other than that it was down right great. It did live a relatively easy life though.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:23 PM

Find out if it has an automatic. My dad has put three transmissions in his 95 4x4. Not saying that they will break, but just make sure it has been taken care of. Service history maybe...
Old 02-28-2005, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the replys so far. yes, it's an auto, it can't be anything else for this application. Won't see much mileage, don't need good gas mileage either, probably fill up once every two months currently, at 3/8 tank on the Tahoe. Please keep those thoughts coming! THanks!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:49 PM

LOOKS LIKE A GOOD DEAL, JUST CHECK OUT THE TRANNY FLUID TO SEE IF ITS BURNED AT ALL. IF SO LEAVE IT ALONE, IF ITS NICE AND RED I WOULD SAY IF IT RUNS AND DRIVES GOOD GO FOR IT, MAYBE CAN BE TALKED DOWN A BIT IT DOES SAY OBO, AND IT IS "FOR THE CHURCH" GOOD LUCK
Old 02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 96 5.9V8 automatic and yes they are a pretty good little truck but things to consider are with that kind of miles on the clock you should be wondering about the fuel pump if its been changed or not trust me it can be done on your own but its not a whole bunch of fun. I towed pretty heavy with mine and quite a bit of it and the fuel milage while not great is still pretty good. The tranny would be my main aera of concern I have had to recently put a new one in my 96. but other that the above its a great truck and if you have the aeras coverd then you should be good to go specially if you can get in to it for a good price.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:44 PM

I dont see how that truck would be much better than the tahoe for those short hauls.Get some airbags on the tahoe and it should do the job if it squats too much,5000lbs shouldnt be that big of a deal .I have pulled that much with my astrovan all over the place.160000 on that pickup is time for all the sensors to start going ,then fuel pumps,starters alternators.The engine will probably hold up but the nicknack stuff will nickel dime you to death. Unless you just need the bed of the pickup you dont need heavy duty to go 12 miles a week. If you want something lower mileage ,heavy duty and cheaper than pickups look for a 3/4 or ton van.They are always on the autotrader way cheaper than a comparable pickup and alot are pretty low miles.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:19 AM

Just take a look at the signature...

Now the 360 gasser I'm currently driving but it doesn't have the pulling power of the diesel. The diesel goes twice as far on a tank of fuel.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 AM

I don't know about Dodge gassers a whole bunch but I had a buddy who had a '96 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 360 and a 5spd. The whole front end had to be rebuilt (suprise suprise) but other than that hs had no problems at 185,000 when he sold it, ran like a top. I had an '89 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 350 and an auto tranny, it was one of our farm trucks and I beat the snot outta her! I sold it at 220,000 and replace only a fuel pump and a water pump (a whopping grand total of about $100 bucks and maybe 2 hrs of my time) I would say go for it!

Tom
Old 03-01-2005, 12:15 PM

i had a 96 5.9 auto i sold with 196,000 on it and it ran and looked like new. Have talked to the guy who bought it a couple times since he bought it and he says it is still going strong.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 AM

I'd get a Chevy 3/4 with a 350...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:44 PM

My 95 5.9 is in a 1500 shortbed and it's been a great truck. I'm glad I bought it (new) and I know I'm going to miss it when I sell it in a couple of months. Yea, the 360 isn't known for mileage (I get around 14 in the warmer months) but it's known as more of a tow motor although I've never towed with mine. The most it's worked is having 1600 lbs in the bed, 3 or 4 times each of the last four years.

As was mentioned, 160K's a lot of miles for a gasser. I still have my original fuel pump after 102K, but many have failed. From what I've seen, the 96 & 97's have had more problems than the 94 & 95's. Could be because more of them were made, or the fact they got real popular then and may have been throwing them together due to demand.

It might wander a bit on the highway, and you may need to have the plenum gasket replaced if there's severe knocking, especially under load. Pull off the air hat and look down the throttle body for any pooled oil. I don't know if you'll be interested in this, but adding a pcm and air intake really helped my low end. Still, the tranny will be your biggest concern. 95 was the last year for the hydraulic trannys, too. It's a 46RH in that truck.

Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Opinoins on *Gas* 5.9 V-8 '95 Ram