Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Opinions-CalFrac, Baker Hughes,and Halliburton

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions-CalFrac, Baker Hughes,and Halliburton

So I know there are some people in the oil and gas business on here, I'm looking for opinions on these three companies. I'm graduating in may with my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I did a first interview with Baker Hughes today.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Well I will chime in, but it is 2nd hand information. Also my experience is in the field, sounds as though you will be in the office, big difference. Haliburton does not pay well, you are a number, and they will work you to death. Baker hughes is pretty much the same, but not quite as bad. Most consider them a stepping stone, unless you have family or real good friends within the company. They also swing wildly with the ups and downs of the business, as they really don't seem to be concerned with the 'people'.

The oil and gas business has huge swings in business activity so be careful, have a large savings account, live well below your paycheck, as you can expect to have at least one year or greater layoff.

With that said, there is no more great a group of guys to work with. One of the reasons I have stayed in the industry as long as I have is because of the people turnin the wrenches.

Where ever you decide to go, great to hear you are ready to hit the ground running!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 PM

I have worked with all 3 at some point or another. IMO, Calfrac seems to be more of a "people" company, but I dont know any of them on the level that you are looking for.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wyododge
The oil and gas business has huge swings in business activity so be careful, have a large savings account, live well below your paycheck, as you can expect to have at least one year or greater layoff.

Roughneck 'Cree

Let there be another oil boom - I promise not to P.... this one away!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

lets see, February will be 11 years as a mechanical engineer for an oil services company. Hows that for depressing.

Hal is a place to start. they have rules about their rules. Got a couple buddies that do fracing for them. They keep hopping, but got a short leash at times.
Weatherford steals alot of Hal hands. Wft is getting about as bad as Hal on rules. they try to get it right the first time, but things seem to get bogged down between the field and management. Some guys I know have complained about being able to get things as simple as gloves in a timely manner.
Schlumberger steals hands from WFT. I only know a couple guys that have made it to SLB, but they seem to like it there. Some of their equipment is run down and finicky, but management seems more supportive. More along the lines of if you need it, we'll get it on the next boat out.

Are you wanting a field job or an office job (office job will get you in the field regularly anyway)
Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we were bought by slumber j last yr so far they arent to bad but i here a bunch of rules are coming.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

What about Sanjel, you give them a shout?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Have you considered going with producers themselves.. Imperial, Encana, Shell, etc? Maybe a little less pay but better benefits and opportunity to train in my experience.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Redrammer99
Have you considered going with producers themselves.. Imperial, Encana, Shell, etc? Maybe a little less pay but better benefits and opportunity to train in my experience.
probably more opportunities to go expat with them too..
Old 10-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Purple - you might want to ask this same question on the Alberta Chapter. A bunch of the guys are working in the heart of the oil patch and will have worked for many of the outfits you are asking about.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM

As somebody who works for "big red" here are a few of my observations after 9 months of working in engineering.

1. you learn a lot in their training program. As a mechanical engineer with no previous experience I now feel like i have good foundation for the whole scope of the oilfield from drilling to producing.

2. As an engineer, you are on the wrong side of the accounting equation. you are a support service and are not on the "money making" side of the business. Without getting into detail as i can't. I get paid less than the lowest level frac hands (in my area at least) due to how the system is setup. This is not to say that I think that i'm better than anybody working out there, but I put my time in school to have greater opportunities and pay than if i didn't go to school...

3. You hear about layoffs, but if you stay with one of the bigger companies it is my belief that you will have more job security and will be transferred to another boom area if the current one slows down.

4. It is a job that i'm glad i took, but due to schedule, location, and the issues with working for a monster company it is bound to be a short term career for me.

Just my 2 cents. I hear rumors about the other companies, but can't honestly comment on them.