Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

October break room 10/2/16 to 10/8/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Somethings on the way out people start talking. You probably just said something you would normally say.
Probably something like, will you still respect me in the morning?

We have an elderly friend in NC we are worried about. Hope her family gets her inland before anything happens.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Wishing and hoping safety to all you Floridians who are in the sites of that storm. My buddy lives in Jupiter and hes confident all will be fine except for power outages and a few downed trees. I hope hes right, as I hate funerals immensely, as my suit barely fits anymore.

Stay safe folks. Not looking good from gloom and doom TWC.

Fingers crossed
Originally Posted by Scotty
Lovely weather here.
Icy, snow, rain and wind.
Time to move to BobbyDependable's place again Legger Lary.
I'll bring the (censored) and the powder.
Scotty - - you will need it to shoot the gators - - especially if we go out to the ranch. Just talked to the daughter - - the gators know it is coming and have moved up from the river and onto the pasture and into the pond. There go all the Tilapia. GGGRRRRR I don't know how safe Jupiter will be, but probably OK. I am hoping the same here, but ready to clean out the lanai. Lots of stuff that could blow around in there and take out my screening. Not cheap.

Just came in from neighbor who is new to Florida. He is worried. Had to school him on what to expect. The eye has definitely moved over to the west a bit and going to touch the east coast - - sure hope it does not like the hard side and moves back out into the Atlantic. Now they tell us it may make a loop and come back and hit us again. Not a fun thought, and I want to get out of here and head up to Sapphire for a few weeks. More GGGRRRRRs.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:08 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Greetings all. In consideration of all of you that are experiencing or about to experience really bad weather, I will not mention the gorgeous weather that we have down here.

It's almost lunch time for me and I am more than ready to eat today. The smells wafting out of the kitchen is making me extra hungry.

Got the sun visor conversion completed on my truck. What a pain! Forcing a GM product to fit a Dodge was a bigger project than I anticipated. The job is not as neat as I would normally do, but it works. Unless one takes a close look at one part, the bad part is not that obvious. Does anybody know of any Dodge products that have a double sun visor of a size that will work on our trucks?

See yuh.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:15 PM

OH BOY - - IT JUST STARTED. Had sun and mostly clear skies all day until about 1/2 hour ago - - clouded, then got darker - - sitting in my office watching the clouds move in - suddenly the tree branches are completely sideways along with a deluge of rain that is also sideways. Just talked to by son in Jacksonville - - it is high tide at 4:40 - - now 4. He has a small creek in his back yard running down about 6 houses (large lots) to a large river that flows thru downtown Jacksonville. The water is 1/2 the way up to his house right now and the hurricane is many miles south of him yet. OH BOY - - PUT ON THE LIFE JACKETS. .....................................
Old 10-06-2016, 03:23 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

YIKES! Bob, that sounds horrible ........... and the worst is still to come. Hope that nothing serious happens to either of you. When you can come up for air again, let as know what is happening. Progress reports please.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Just looked at the Mathew stuff. Keep yer head down Bobby.

Would seem to me that a storm like this once in a decade or so would be normal in the tropics. Obama is making like selling the farm to lower Earth's temperature by 0.05 degrees will completely stop them.

Finally cool enough to wear an undershirt here in Minnesnowta. Usually have frost by now. Might get a nip tomorrow night, but even that looks iffy.

I can't imagine anything out of place on Stan's truck. Bet nobody here could even find anything that isn't pristine on his sun visor upgrade.

Scotty, you will never know what brought on the weird comment, but rest assured nurses will be snickering for decades.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:36 AM

Morning everybody. Let's hear it from the folks on the east coast. How are y'all? Is everybody safe? Any damage in your area?

John, thanks for the nice comments re my truck. I wish that it was pristine, but it's not. This last job I did is far from what I call good, but it works and for the most part, nobody would notice the problems. It just bugs me that one area does not look like a factory installation.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:10 AM

OK, checking in from the east side (the soft side) of Florida. Just did another walk around the house in the light. Wow, did we get off easy over here. Nothing like what is happening on the hard side. One palm frond down, a couple smart oak tree twigs down - - and that is it. Everything else is perfect at this time. Even all the hibiscus flowers are still on the tree - - they are all huddled up, but the sun will bring them back out of their shells. LOL

So, had to drop to my knees and say a prayer of thanksgiving.

Put fresh coffee and ph00 on but nothing to go with it. Enjoy.....................................

Give me a couple hours and I can go restore my lanai furnishings from their hiding places. Wow, sooooo thankful.
The following 3 users liked this post by FiverBob:
NJTman (10-07-2016), oliver foster (10-07-2016), patdaly (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Bob, good to hear that you are OK. How about your son?

Just read something that I am posting just for your reading pleasure and comments. Debated on whether it should be in the political section or here. Here won. Personally saw evidence of what this article talks about many times during my years in China.

https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-...ign=pockethits
Old 10-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
OK, checking in from the east side (the soft side) of Florida. .....................................

Give me a couple hours and I can go restore my lanai furnishings from their hiding places. Wow, sooooo thankful.
Glad to hear. My buddy in Jupiter texted me that all was good, so I'm happy. I would have found myself in my work truck, trailering down a bunch of plywood, fuel and other essentials. THen I would have missed all this great weather up here.

Cheers to you's who survived unscathed.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Bob, good to hear that you are OK. How about your son?
https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-...ign=pockethits
Stan, interesting article. How on earth did we get into the quagmire of making China a huge source of our goods made with the "good enough" principle. Easy - - - money. It is cheaper than ours, so buy it. Oh, it only lasted 1/2 as long and did not do the job right and several people were killed by it's poor engineering and construction? So what? Was it cheaper? Good enough. Oh, I can't buy the "good" American made product anymore because the company is out of business? So sorry - - maybe I can get one made in Japan. Yeh. Good enough.

I really get angry when I sit at a red light and look around me. I have to look real hard to find a car that is made BY an American company - - and harder still to find one that is made IN America by an American company. Disgusting. Shame on us for buying them and shame on them for putting the shaft to us and we are too stupid to stop buying them.

Son - - have not heard today - - high tide is coming up - - he will call when he knows where he stands - - - or swims -- - HELP. Storm is still moving up to him. Holding breath.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:38 PM

Buddy of mine is a trucker in Tenn. He delivers parts to the Nissan plant down there, or somewhere around there. He claims that the reason he bought a Nissan is that his car was made in that plant, and all the parts for the car are made in the US, except for one thing... The transmission.

Is this true, all the parts are US made ? Assembled in US, no doubt, as he watches the cars come out of the building assembled as he's dropping off parts. (seats, exhaust systems, dashboards, etc).

So, if I believe him, which I should, the car is almost completely made in America.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Buddy of mine is a trucker in Tenn. He delivers parts to the Nissan plant down there, or somewhere around there. He claims that the reason he bought a Nissan is that his car was made in that plant, and all the parts for the car are made in the US, except for one thing... The transmission.

Is this true, all the parts are US made ? Assembled in US, no doubt, as he watches the cars come out of the building assembled as he's dropping off parts. (seats, exhaust systems, dashboards, etc).

So, if I believe him, which I should, the car is almost completely made in America.
You got it. One reason I get upset is this very thing. If we are such a rich nation, why is it foreign companies can set up a plant in the US and make something cheaper than they can in their own country? Why does Aerbus come to the US and set up a plant? One model of Cadillac I am aware of is 73% US materials, parts and labor. The competitive Lexus is 86%. The ringer here is the foreign companies can make their car cheaper here and be competitive to the American companies who are assembling their cars in foreign countries, yet pay no income tax to us on their profits for the year. WHY? And, if the cost to buy the foreign car is about the same as the American COMPANY car, why not support the American company?

OK, lousy way to start my day - - got me going all ready. LOL. We are just not thinking American, that is all.

Morning gang - - got the ph00 and coffee on the counter along with fresh baked pumpkin bread - - the blonde was at it again - - boy she is good.

Have a great day........................
Old 10-08-2016, 06:39 AM

Sorry, Bob,

Normally, I get my wife all ticked off this early in the am by not putting the seat back down.

Better luck next saturday... I guess...

lol

My cup of green tea, tea spoon of honey, with fresh ginger slices in it was just poured. Off to healthy colon land.....
Old 10-08-2016, 07:13 AM

On average, NJ has 500 or so deaths in auto accidents every year. in 2015, there were 562 of them, and it's not that far out of the ordinary from previous years. It seems a bit different when they're plotted on a map, though... Crazy, just crazy.......

562 people were killed on N.J. roads last year. Here's how they died. | NJ.com

if you read through the stats, it's amazing how they separated the incidents between bicyclists, speeders, things falling off of trucks, hitting solid objects, ages of victims, time of day, etc.

Gives a perspective that I didn't have before.

Quick Reply: October break room 10/2/16 to 10/8/16