Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Not sure if I should buy a diesel...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if I should buy a diesel...

I'm on the market for a new vehicle and I'm on the fence of whether or not a diesel 2500 is suitable for me.

Specifically I have my eyes on a 2005 2500 Cummins. It has 216k miles (transmission rebuilt at 192k). 1 owner, kept it maintained. Practically looks new. I currently drive a 2002 Ford Ranger and am looking to upgrade before it Fords out on me.

I am already aware of the extra costs a diesel powered truck imposes initially. However, I will not be paying for fuel, and I will be getting paid per mile, so the overall costs out of my wallet directly will be monthly payments and that's about it. I buy gas for personal use very infrequently.

90% of its use will be highway miles and 4x4 required locations for work. I do not intend to tow frequently. That being said, I am looking at the diesel for its engine longevity. I like diesel trucks in general, and since my overall maintenance and fuel costs won't cost me any more/less than any other truck, is it really a bad idea?

The only thing I have to worry about is the cost of the truck. 4x4 diesels are more expensive in this market (especially where I'm at), but I'm willing to pay that difference.

Thoughts? Any info is appreciated. Apologies if I posted in the wrong place, tried staying out of the way.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Just get it and don't look back. If I had my fuel paid for that would seal the deal right there.

Sounds like a nice truck, it ain't no ranger so use your mirrors when backing up or changing lanes!
Old 11-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Couple of questions, how many Hwy miles a week?
4X4 requirement mud or something else?

Here's the thing, Diesels aren't made for running short hauls, the longer you run them the more sense they make.

The Cummins is one HEAVY pig, so understand they aren't like a gasser in mud, the front sinks to China.

Fortunately, the 2005 is pre-stupid emissions era, so that plays in your favor.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you get free gas then I would go for the big Hemi.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Couple of questions, how many Hwy miles a week?
4X4 requirement mud or something else?

Here's the thing, Diesels aren't made for running short hauls, the longer you run them the more sense they make.

The Cummins is one HEAVY pig, so understand they aren't like a gasser in mud, the front sinks to China.

Fortunately, the 2005 is pre-stupid emissions era, so that plays in your favor.
I drive a lot. Practically no short hauls, it varies but probably between 300-1000 miles a week, maybe more. It won't be a daily home to office kind of deal, my job sites are scattered around the state withing 2-7 hours apart most of the time.

4x4 not so much for the mud (maybe occasionally), mostly steep rocky grades and soft (powdery) dirt. Run into roads my Ranger denies too often.

I like towing, and I'd like to have the ability. Problem is I don't have anything to tow
Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron Boulger
I drive a lot. Practically no short hauls, it varies but probably between 300-1000 miles a week, maybe more. It won't be a daily home to office kind of deal, my job sites are scattered around the state withing 2-7 hours apart most of the time.

4x4 not so much for the mud (maybe occasionally), mostly steep rocky grades and soft (powdery) dirt. Run into roads my Ranger denies too often.

I like towing, and I'd like to have the ability. Problem is I don't have anything to tow
Get the diesel....................
Old 11-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I see you are a new poster. Wander around our forum and look at the stats our members have on their diesel rigs. You will find some amazing numbers in the number of basically trouble free miles members have on them. Some will state their rig did not start to run really smooth until it crossed the 300,000 (or more) mark - - - many have, or are approaching 1 million miles with nothing more than fuel pumps, water pumps and the normal wear out things like brakes, shocks, front end parts, ujoints, tires, etc. Treat it right, don't think it is a drag wagon and should be wonderful for you. Mine has 110,000 on it, most of it pulling a 16,000 fiver and still looks and runs great - - and mine is just a baby compared to many on here.

Welcome to our forum.

Bob
Old 11-18-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't have another gas truck. When it comes to work, there is a day and night difference. When it comes to fuel economy, ditto. When it comes to maintenance expense, again ditto. My diesels have cost me so little money compared to the gassers I use to run I can afford to splurge. The most expensive part of maintenance is the fuel injection system. Considering all the other things you don't have to spend money on this becomes irrelevant.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like I'm getting a diesel.