Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New woodstove, first fire

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New woodstove, first fire

Got it all set. Any tips for the virgin firebox? Its probably going to smoke some and stink...I realize that. Anything else? Its a Lopi Endeavor. Can't wait. Its pretty warm for a fire though....what the HECK!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's about it, just keep an eye on it to make sure all your piping is good.

I use a magnetic thermostat on my flue to get an idea of what temps are running.

Other than knowing there will be paint and oils burning off, you should be good to go.

Burning nice DRY wood, right?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 PM

NO PINE!!!!!!!!! Is is a pellet box or a real wood stove?????
Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 PM

Two year old split hardwood. One year old stuff too...I'll burn this towards the end of the season. Not sure how much I'll need. I've got 4 cords of 2 year old wood and about 3 cords of year and a half. Never any pine. I know that much. =)
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 AM

I find that mine (Earth Stove) has two obvious phases of heat generation. For about the first three hours, it puts out heat in the room it's in. After that, when all the bricks and the steel are hot, it begins putting out enough heat that the rest of the down stairs is very warm too. I typically stoke it up good before we go to bed, and have plenty of embers the next morning to light it back up. I can't wait for the month of cold weather we get down here!

You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. I could just as easily sell the TV and lay on the couch and watch the fire!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
I know, I grew up in IL and we never burned pine, aside from kindling wood. Always oak, maple, walnut, etc, didn't even like burning poplar or basswood. Dad called it "softwood", not worth cutting, too much creosote, etc....
Well, out west, all you got is pine or aspen (poplar). I've burned mostly all pine (or other conifers) unless I get oak dunnage from work, for years with no problems.
Old stoves, like the Earth stove mentioned (we had one) you had to clean the chimmney regularly, and yes, green, wet, soft, sappy wood would build creosote much quicker.
The newer stoves that double burn the gasses, like the Lopi, can burn pine and the like just fine. I've been cleaning the chimmney 1-2x a year, burning wood daily for 6mo/yr with the newer double burning stoves and never get more than maybe a good coffee can full of creosote and it's not the glossy sticky stuff like when I was a kid, it's mostly burnt up ash.
Just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 PM

This will be the first year using a wood burner in my shop. If it catches fire i'm throwin it in!

I've got a mixture of all types of wood. I can't be picky when its free. Thats the idea for me, low cost.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Patriot_Auto
This will be the first year using a wood burner in my shop. If it catches fire i'm throwin it in!

I've got a mixture of all types of wood. I can't be picky when its free. Thats the idea for me, low cost.
My brother in law burns this way, green, pine, he doesn't care!

One downside I have noticed is that the outside of his building got tarred up pretty fast with nasty creosote. Depending on your flue/chimney configuration, you might want to watch for that.

I have 6.5 cords ready for this year, he has.......none. He'll keep it warm though, 2X4's and all.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Why not pine?? I have been burning pine for years and I see no difference in the creosoot build up between pine and hardwood, and the pine is free.