Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New quad, your suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New quad, your suggestions.

Looking for a new quad. I am not getting a side by side, just a utility 4x4 in the 750cc range. I have been looking at the honda's, yamaha's, polaris's, and the Suzuki king quad. All in all the suzuki king quad seems to be the best bang for the buck. I have no loyalty to a specific brand just want reliability and longevity.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had 2 Suzuki's and they were both trouble free. Even after one of them got launched off a 40 foot cliff, landing on its' handlebars. It was still running, upside down, when I got to it to free my friend from underneath it. Maybe he cushioned the blow, I don't know, but I shut it off, flipped it back over, put my buddies' shoulder in a sling and 20 minutes later he rode it home. Never had to replace anything on it. My buddy on the other hand dislocated his shoulder and broke his elbow.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Good info Scott, thank you. How's the tooth? Maybe I can pull it out with my new quad? .

Hope your feeling better.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Good info Scott, thank you. How's the tooth? Maybe I can pull it out with my new quad? .

Hope your feeling better.
The tooth is still there. And if it's still there when you get your new quad, I just may drive out there to have you remove it!

The reason I bought the first Suzuki was because it was the only one at the time that had selectable 2WD, 4WD and 4WD Lock, (all 4 wheels locked together), AND had 4 wheel independent suspension. It was only something like 250cc's but it had no trouble carting my fat butt all over the mountains of NH. I think Suzuki is the only one still making a manual transmission now too in a utility quad, (just got thru reading a review of one). I wouldn't want the belt drive contraption. I've heard a lot of horror stories about burning or breaking belts at the most in-opportune times. I guess they're kinda finicky about their tension too. Too little or too much makes them burn, and if they get wet/dirty/muddy their life diminishes substantially.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Administrator

This is what I had. What I wouldn't give to have another just like it!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM

I read a few reviews about the belts breaking. I want an auto cause the wife will be riding this also. I don't mind having a couple belts on hand if I dd IDE to go with the Suzuki.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Administrator

I read a few reviews about the belts breaking. I want an auto cause the wife will be riding this also. I don't mind having a couple belts on hand if I dd IDE to go with the Suzuki.
Just find out how easy they are to change. I guess some of them require quite a bit of machine dis-assembly while others are a 2 minute operation. The machine I had, while a manual tranny, had no clutch. Just pull up on the lever or push down. Very simple... even a Truckie could do it!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
What ever you get, bring it this way and i will take you out on the Hatfield McCoy trails...over 500 miles of awesome trails in the mountains.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 PM

We have a Rincon, two 450 Grizzlies, an old Foreman 400, and some Ranchers at work. The Rincon is fast, has a 3 speed automatic, real torque convertor in it, but it really needs a low range for actual low-speed work. The grizzlies ride nice at speed, but I don't like them on a sidehill. And the seat is too wide on all three of these.

Boss' uncle has a new Rancher AT. Has the dual-clutch set-up like some VW/Audi cars, shift automatically or push-button manual. I like it. Pressurized cooling system, too. I'd like to get one of those or a new Foreman 500 soon.

Dirt Wheels (magazine) says of Honda- they are good at everything yet excel at nothing. They are a good machine that just keeps going.

Have a couple friends who extoll the virtues of Polaris, but I think it has the goofy plastic rack that you need their special accessories for. And they work at a Polaris/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer.

I ride the old Foreman. Only thing I would really like different is selectable 4x4. Has the nice big flat racks that Honda can't even seem to remember how to build anymore.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
I picked up a new one first of the year. Had debated on the King Quad and the Sportsman. Went with the Polaris as to me it feels like it had the smoother ride out of the two of them.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Administrator

I never cared for anything that had the Yamaha name on it. I had a Snow machine with the oil injection for the 2 stroke motor and the only way I knew the oil injection pump had died was when the motor seized up! You'd *think* they'd have thought of something that would warn you, considering that was what lubricated the whole motor.

Lots of friends had Yamaha Big Bears, and while they were 'OK' machines, there was always some stupid little thing wrong with them. Nothing that would leave you stranded, just annoying stuff.

Michael has a Yamaha 350, an older machine. It too is 'OK', but despite spending $1100 a few years back to rebuild the front end and drive-train, it still has an annoying squeal. like an axle shaft U-joint or something.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM

I liked the Polaris also. Keep them coming folks, appreciate it.

Top, I would love that! Maybe drag it behind the 5ver, do some camping and quading then take you and the bride to dinner.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Administrator

I liked the Polaris also. Jeep them coming folks, appreciate it.
'Jeep them'? Freudian slip? What do you REALLY want Tim?

I don't have any experience with Polaris but our PD has 2 of them that they seem to like even tho they break something on them every time they take them out. They ARE police officers tho, so that could explain a lot. When I was at the FD full time, one of the cruisers got towed back to the station with a rod sticking out thru the side of the block. The cop said "it's sounded like a machine gun for the last 3 hours. I guess I shouldn't have taken it out on the highway". I asked if he ever thought of checking the oil when he heard the noise, to which he responded, "Why? What would that have done"?

Edit: Aww, ya fixed it!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM

the cops and that I fixed it! Funny stuff...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured the newer ones would be getting lighter every year but the ones I was looking at last year would kill ya if they got on top of you.

Quick Reply: New quad, your suggestions.