Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Multi Use Device

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi Use Device

I was draining the pressure washer for winter storage as I always do about this time of year, and as I was chainging the pump oil, it occured to me that there is not much holding the pump to the engine (or at least it didnt look like it)....

I was wondering if I could get a generator head and mount it up to the 15hp Kohler engine on the pressure washer so that I could use it in the winter for emergency backup for the furnace and anything else I may need it for.

I was thinking a 15hp engine should be enough to run a 7500 watt generator, which would be more than enough for what i would need to power.

That said, would this be a workable idea, or am I thinking too much and getting myself into too much work? (pressure washer has at most 30 hours on it in 2 years at this point)... What all would I need to be sure of before attempting something like this? rotation direction, shaft size, mounting, anything else?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Your idea might work. I have a 6500 watt generator, and it has a 19 HP Honda engine, so 15 HP might be to light under full load. Also most generator engines turn at 3600 rpm so the generator produces 60 cycle AC. Not sure of direction of rotation.
Let us know if it works, and if you can post pix it would be great.

gud luk

Davey
Old 10-17-2005, 01:22 PM

Not sure of direction of rotation.
most all engines are clockwise rotation when looking at the front of the engine.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:31 PM

been looking for a direct mount generator head.... can find plenty of belt drives (northern tool) but no direct drives yet..... any ideas?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Durasmack,

It sounds like you have a pressure washer similar to mine

I too have wondered the same thing. It looks as if you could just buy a generator and hook it up to the output shaft of the washer.

My generator is 4500 watts with a Honda 9.0 HP motor running it. I would think what you are talking about is feasible.

Mount for generator head

Let me know if you have any luck. I'm interested in this also.

Britt

Old 10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
JKM

Britt , what don't you own?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Burden Surplus has them Here is one example. I think I also saw that at Harbor freight for quite a bit less.

Here is the one Harbor Frieght has Here
Old 10-17-2005, 04:13 PM

T-7, get out of my garage. yes, that is what i have EXACTLY.....

I was looking at the same thing you were.... I think I will be trying this here soon unless someone on here stops me or I quit trying to thin out my wallet.....

Actually, I am wanting to do this to try to save several hundred on a stand alone generator.... I wouldnt use either enough to really justify having 2 pieces of equipment, but since I already have the pressure washer.....

--Trey
Old 10-17-2005, 04:17 PM

Thanks, Top....
I might have to stop over there on Wednesday and take a look. It says that one is Belt Driven... How do you go about direct driving that? is it possible?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by durasmack
T-7, get out of my garage. yes, that is what i have EXACTLY.....

I was looking at the same thing you were.... I think I will be trying this here soon unless someone on here stops me or I quit trying to thin out my wallet.....

Actually, I am wanting to do this to try to save several hundred on a stand alone generator.... I wouldnt use either enough to really justify having 2 pieces of equipment, but since I already have the pressure washer.....

--Trey
I wouldn’t have bought my generator if I didn’t get such a good deal on it. They had it on sale at Lowes a couple of years ago for $550 (only had 2 left) and I just couldn’t pass it up. Especially with a Honda engine.

It is pretty weird about the pressure washer though. I had, like you, thought about getting a generator to hook up to the pressure washer in case anything ever goes wrong with my generator. We have a Harbor Freight store in town so I might just have to drop by tomorrow and look at it. I will let you know what I find out.

Britt

Old 10-17-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Here is the one Harbor Frieght has Here
That's what I was thinking I could rig up on my lawn tractor. Slap a pulley on there, attach it to a low-boy cart that would put it at the right height to attach where the mower normally does, and Eureka! A generator for 1/3 the price, using a motor I already have.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:35 PM

Britt, they say 20hp for the 10kw generator at Harbor Freight.... Does anyone know what will happen if you run a head that is too large for the engine? does it just shut off if you overload the engine and head?

Let me know if that looks like it will mount up... I will stop over to Harbor Freight on Wednesday and look if I get a chance...
Old 10-17-2005, 04:46 PM

I’m hoping that they have a generator that is a little less than 10000 watts. I don’t really need one that big. I don’t see why a 7500-watt generator won’t work with a 15 hp Kohler motor. These things are pretty stout.

Britt

Old 10-17-2005, 04:52 PM

Britt, Here is the one that they have fully assembled with the same engine that is on the pressure washer....15hp Kohler.... Now to find that generator head....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92932

-Trey
Old 10-17-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by durasmack
Britt, Here is the one that they have fully assembled with the same engine that is on the pressure washer....15hp Kohler.... Now to find that generator head....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92932

-Trey

Trey,

Thats exactly what we need! I will check tomorrow and see what they have or can come up with.

Britt

Quick Reply: Multi Use Device