Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Military / police folks ... I need help quick !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military / police folks ... I need help quick !!!

G'morning folks .... I have kind of an issue. I have been tasked with ordering everything to set up a Tactical Operation Center. Desks, vap boards, smart boards (the kind that work with computers) .... the whole 9 yards. I have a very large budget (so they say ... thanks for paying your taxes ) but I have no idea where to look online to find this kind of stuff.

I have to compile everything that I want to buy by this afternoon .... crazy how this stuff works.

Any help of getting pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

PISTOL
Old 04-20-2006, 11:38 PM

If ya had a little longer I could help ya out. I stand duty in the new security bldg tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheif, just saw this... do you have time to email me at my .mil address?
I can give you a run down on what we have in our security office equip-wise and what works with it and what doesnt, but dont like the idea of posting any of that....
Old 04-21-2006, 02:26 AM

I tried to send you something Chris ... it keeps getting sent back to me. I can receive from you ... just can't reply.

I don't have anything to do with the computers, monitors etc ... just the screens, smart boards, room layout ... that kind of stuff.

Been looking local and not having luck ... usually have good luck on internet but apparently I am not using the right search word.

PISTOL
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
map and smart boards

Smart Boards

Hope those help..Can tfind my GSA catalogue......

are you tasked with any CCTV monitoring? gate or remote access control? dispatch/response team or officer ? radio comms or key control?
All of those enter into your equipment and layout parameters...

I fthis si a repsonse center, look at what inter-agency comms or monitoring you may want to do. Local agency's radios or a scanner to monitor them.
multiplex phones that are conference call compatable are a must. Video capable phones are nice...
Multi-work stations for use during an alert or response situation if you will have multiple agencys working from teh room or the need to monitor multiple units independently.
Remember CIC on yer last shipboard tour????

OH YEAH... another "must" ... a Tv with video and DVD capability, that can receive CSPAN, CNN and local news/weather channels...
Old 04-21-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
........And don't forget about secure/unsecure voice communications.

If you're building from scratch, it's going to be a permanent location, and money's no problem, include a secure Video Teleconference setup.
(Most of my recent Standups have all included the Secure VTC requirement)
Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 AM

Comm will take care of secure/unsecure communications. Since he's OCONUS, STU's will be the order of the day. Time to contact his local COMSEC Custodian to set that up.

Should also contact the TEMPEST rep at the Comm unit as well. His input will be invaluable in getting things set up properly the first time and there'll be less of a chance he'll have to redo things once it's all in place.

For a local list of suppliers to handle his wiz items, he should contact the plans and programs folks in the Comm Unit or base level.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
TomW is right, but I've seen too many folks in charge of new facilities pay so much attention to aquiring the latest Gee-Whiz Electronic Doo-Dads, and totaly forget about basics like comm.
But then, I work on an AF base.

If the Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard can do it with a Post-It Note pad and a pencil, Our AF guys will find a way to do it with a $20,000 computer.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Don't forget the Donut/pastry saver to keep those pink sprinklies nice and fresh
Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 AM

Should also add that the TEMPEST rep will have an approved list of wiz-bang items that he can use in a secure environment.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the quick responses folks ...

The comms guys have their bid in for all of their vtc, comms, stu/stea needs to the tune of $400k. My end, thankfully is much less .... I found the local supplier for the Smart boards and am waiting on the $$ quote.

My next hard spot is the magnetic white boards. All I can find are small units 2'x3' and I don't want to have a dozen of those things butted together. Is there anyone who makes say a 4'x8' sheet of the porcelain coated magnetic boards ? We need to be able to write on them w/ dry erase markers as well as post maps on them. Trying to stay away from corkboard .

Thanks again ... I'll keep looking and will check back in soon.

PISTOL
Old 04-21-2006, 08:52 AM

Pistol, LP store should have 'em. (LP = Local Purchase)

Got your card? If not, snag someone who has one and drag his hind end down to supply and see what they have.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 AM

You could make your own dry erase boards. Just buy 4x8 sheets of marlite and put a frame around it.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 AM

That is what I wanted to do in the first place ... again, me trying to cut costs . It is kinda fun going to the local Hornbach store (home depot) and trying to explain what you want to a guy who don't sprechen sie english so well.

I forwarded all the info that I gathered today from you guys input and looks like a decent set up (provided their pockets are as deep as they say).

I really want to say thanks to you for helping me out today. Too many irons in the fire to do it myself. I'll be recommending you all for a raise and a day off .

PISTOL