Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lotus Elise Falls Off Hoist At Shop. ouch

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lotus Elise Falls Off Hoist At Shop. ouch

I think this is a pime example of a recently fired employee.

:Quote From The Onwer:

Dropped my Elise off to the local Goodyear shop to have new F1G3s installed. My Father-in-law is the service manager and has been for 10 years. He is out on medical leave, but he met me at the shop this morning, because he understands the uniqueness of the car.

I handed them the tire tools and opened the Owner's Manual to the jacking instructions so they would be clear. We went over all the instructions and they assured me I was in good hands.

We (my father-in-law and I both left)

1 hour later I get a call about the "accident" and that I needed to come down...

***!

So this is what I found...

It get's better. They said they read the manual, but not to the point where it spoke about the 4-point lift. After the crash, they continued reading. Yipee for me.

The damage is inclusive of the rear clam, front clam, underneath the driver's door, and a nice puncture through the bottom diffuser around the passenger seat area.

When I was there, they had a wrecker attached with a winch to the front end so it wouldn't come crashing down. After it cleared the lift, the front end swung around and crashed into some tool chests.

I'm mostly worried about the rear structure... the puncture underneath and the loss of value of the car (it's paid off free and clear)!

I've already called Dimmit in Clearwater and they are expecting the vehicle. Goodyear has filed the claim with their carrier and has promised to fully cover the repair. Luckly my FIL was there as a witness.

What else do I need to be concerned about in the repair/insurance claim? Diminished value, loss of use (not my primary vehicle), etc.
You can view a couple of more shots here
http://www.my914-6.com/crap/
Old 11-07-2006, 05:42 PM

OUCH!!!!!!! Somebody's getting fired.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "front swung around" part kills me. You would think they would be extra-special careful after the first cluster _.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:42 PM

rear-engined cars are a tad bit butt-heavy
Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 PM

Somewhere, there is a guy being paid $8 an hour that is home puking at the thought of having to reimburse the owner.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I took employment in a auto repair shop back in my high school years. A good over-all experience with a group of guys who were very willing to help and teach me along the way.
However, some things I taught myself.
One of those things is to move the head mechanics tool box out from under the car BEFORE you lower the car.
Ended up buying him a new bottom box as the wieght of the car, the top and middle box was just too much for the bottom box to handle.
No damage to the car.

Rich.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 PM

Upon further review, if you have enough dough to buy something like that, why are you letting the local Goodyear shop work on it? Why not just take it to Wal Mart?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

WOW that sucks, I feel sorry for the dude but yet like said above....he did take it to goodyear.

I won't let any shop touch my GTO without me being there watching every single move....I've spent to much time and money on that car to let some little jack monkey screw it up!

~Nick
Old 11-08-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by IA_James
Upon further review, if you have enough dough to buy something like that, why are you letting the local Goodyear shop work on it? Why not just take it to Wal Mart?
My thoughts exactly.
Taking it to goodyear was the first mistake. Probably took it to Jiffy Lube afterward!!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 AM

I agree the guy should of taken the car to a place that does specific work on exotic's, or he should of even taken it to the dealer he purchased it from. But that is still besides the point, his father-in-law works there so im sure he intrusted them to a extent. Once GoodYear accepted his money they took full responsibility for his car. Now on the other hand, the employee who lifted the car and failed to follow the hoisting procedures is completely at fault, not GoodYear as a whole. At least the owner of the car took it to a decent place, GoodYear will take care of him fully. It could of been worse he could of dropped it off at some hole in the wall place.

Thank god there was no one underneath the rear end trying to get a wheel off or something, that would of been a mess.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:41 AM

he needed tires replaced... Goodyear is a tire store... What am I missing here, you need to take your expensive car to a rubber scientists to let him chage the car just because it cost more than average Joe's jalopy????

If you ask me, it would have happened anywhere if a goof ball was working on it...Just a freak thing...
Old 11-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HappyGA
he needed tires replaced... Goodyear is a tire store... What am I missing here, you need to take your expensive car to a rubber scientists to let him chage the car just because it cost more than average Joe's jalopy????

If you ask me, it would have happened anywhere if a goof ball was working on it...Just a freak thing...

Sorry the Goodyear thing with me is kind of an inside joke with me......my buddy owns a Goodyear store and he has a bunch of monkey heads working there so I wouldn't let them touch my jacket let alone my car. Wasn't dissing Goodyear the company!

~Nick
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyGA
+1

If I need tires for anything except my motorcycles, I go to Discount Tire, NTB, Goodyear, etc. I've only been doing this for the 45 years I've been driving. I guess I'm so ignorant that I didn't realize I was doing it all wrong!! So, where should I be going??

Rusty
Old 11-08-2006, 10:19 AM

Well his Father in law owned that particular goodyear. He probably felt that being family it was the safest place to take the car.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Banned

You would sure think so......that sucks that happened though. I bet his father in law felt like total crap about the whole ordeal. Imagine trying to make that up to him

~Nick

Quick Reply: Lotus Elise Falls Off Hoist At Shop. ouch