Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looky at what I caught....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looky at what I caught....

Went down to my little farm pond last evening, started working a jelly worm down the fronts of some weed banks in it and right off the bat got a little strike. Didn't feel like much of a catch until I tried reeling it in........

I know its not a Copperhead, but anyone know what the heck kinda snake this is????????? it IS venomous, took a close look in its mouth once it was dead.

BTW NEVER, EVER, bring a large live venomous snake into the house and ask your wife to take a picture..even if it is hooked pretty good... .
the BOSS left fingernail marks in the ceiling.... ..and my head still hurts......
Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably a water mocassin/cottonmouth if it was in the water. Those things are MEAN!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like a water moccasin / cottonmouth, but I remember them being darker.

Like the previous post they will come after you BIG time if there are babies around. I was swimming in a "blue hole" when I was a kid. Everyone said stay away from the reeds. Like a dummy I said what's the big deal? I swam into the reeds and this MOUTH opened wide and came after me. I "walked on water" to get away. Scared me to death!.... almost. I'm sure it was just doing a display to scare me away. It worked very well.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:30 AM

How tall are those boots?! Wicked little bugger, and not that little at all. Glad you hooked it before it hooked you......
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 AM

Easy way to tell if it was a cottonmouth. While it was alive and really PO'ed about being caught, did it smell REALLY musky?? If so ya just ridded yourself of one MEAN obnoxious serpent. I caught one once on a stringer of catfish that I left overnight in my grandma's pond. Funny thing was when I pulled up stringer, the fish that he decided to devour got the last hurrah. Catfish waited till snake had swallowed him up to his head, then decided to pop out his pectoral fins. final score....snake=0, catfish=1snake, me=one heck of a story.

Gary
Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

SCuzman, it smelled like it had been sprayed by a skunk, realy dank musty odor to it...........
Old 06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Banned

Yeah, that is a cottonmouth. Really light for one though.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:16 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Looks like a typical Arkansas Coppermocassin. Around here, a lot of them are light colored.
12 guage #8's work real good on 'em.

Shortround out
Old 06-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by scuzman00
Easy way to tell if it was a cottonmouth. While it was alive and really PO'ed about being caught, did it smell REALLY musky?? Gary
I tried that trick one time - - snuck up behind that monster so I could get down close and smell him. Yeh, sure. NOT

They do stink. Lot's of them while hunting down in the glades. We usually just stomp on them with our boots rather than shoot them - - - that scares the deer and hogs away. They are nasty - - they know your front side from the back - - they go around you and sneak up behind you. Nasty. They also love to come after you while you are in the water and climb in your boat. Not fun when there are three big guys in a little 10' john boat.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 AM

That is a cotton mouth. Looks just like em from down here in the south. Moccasin is darker, but that is a cotton mouth.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:06 PM

I think you need to have it mounted and hang it on the living room wall. What a beauty!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I sat down next to a creek one time and slipped off my boots to cool my feet for a minute in the water. As I was sitting there, one of those popped up between my feet and let me get a real good look at that mouth full of cotton

He didn't hang around long, just swam away from my feet after a minute or so.

I am guessing he didn't like the fact that my feet stank more than he did
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM

SEE! This is why I like living up here. We don't have stuff like that from central Alberta north. A few rattlers around the Drumheller area that I've run into in the past. But nothing like that a couple hours North.

I don't have to walk around staring at the ground!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

that looks like a pair of real long fillets........ cajun spice that thing and cook it up!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 PM

EGADS CHRIS !!!! Well, that settles it .... you and I are definately not going fishing over at YOUR place !!! Think I'll stick to fishin from a boat in the middle of the lake .... no "C'neatcha's" there.

I remember one time when I was on recruiting duty there in Springfield, me and my partner was playin' hooky from the boss and decided to check out Springfield lake to find a good spot to fish. We ran into some kind of snake down there on the bank (probably the same kind) who proceeded to chase us back to work !! The local fishermen got a good show seeing us in Dress whites, corfram shoes .... hoppin around in the mud screamin like ninnies because of some stupid snake .

PISTOL

Quick Reply: Looky at what I caught....